1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you ever use a projector to show your photos?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

only on competition nights in the club.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^WHS^^^^^^^^^^^

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

No, don't have the space or time.

My dad had one, and from what I remember from over 40 years ago, Kodachrome transparencies certainly looked good at 6x4 feet in a darkened room, but I also remember the faffing about it took to get everything set up, and the space needed.

Give me 12x8" prints, far more convenient, even if the contrast ration isn't quite as good. And I'm not convinced these digital projectors are as good as a Kodachrome slide anyway.

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

My pictures look just fine on a 42" screen. No need for a projector.

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I suspect that the use of digital projectors for personal/home use is pretty much a dead duck.

If anyone did want to show their photies to a captive audience of squirming relatives, they could use the wide-screen HD telly sitting in the corner.

For clubs, exhibitions, lectures, etc., they do have their uses and the latest generation are capable of projecting very high quality images (although the screens, blackouts, etc. don't always match that quality).

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yes.

I'm finding that a slide show now has a certain novelty factor at camera clubs. In addition, some members appear to actually prefer looking at slides. Am guessing, but I think they find the viewing easier than with digital projection.

That said, I would quite like a digital projector as it would make the projection of additional material that is photography related, but not necessarily a photograph, that much easier & cheaper to project.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Still have my slide projector but must confess to not having used it for some time. Only other projector used is at camera club on competition nights...

One issue that puts me off digital projectors, aside from their cost and the faff of setting up, is that unlike a slide projector they are strictly designed for landscape formats - so any portrait fomat images are projectec at a smaller size with less effect. Projectors for images I feel would be better as a square format IMO to allow upright images to be projects to the same scal as landscape ones.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have occasionally projected some of my images, the screen is rather large and the projector and lens cost around £35,000 comfortably visible in daylight. The projector is about 20 meters from the screen. Not at all practical for home use however.

10. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

I did try to show my photos on a 55 inch screen, that was awesome, but didn't think of owning a projector and making slide shows.

11. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Think a better question should have stated either or both film and digital media projection.
    I have used both.

12. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for native 4K projectors to come down in price a bit :D