1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you ever shoot at wide apertures for shallow depth of field?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

This week's poll question is - Do you ever shoot at wide apertures for shallow depth of field? Please vote here, thank you.

[​IMG]

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I use the appropriate aperture for the result I'm trying to achieve - or I try to anyway!

Cheers, Jeff

Geren, Roger Hicks and RogerMac like this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I put occasionally. However I nearly always use telephoto lenses wide open to keep exposure times low and accept the shallow depth of field.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It would be counter productive to use wide apertures when inappropriate.

some genres like portraiture benefit from the practice, others like architecture more rarely so.

Mostly the aperture set is in some way a compromise between exposure and depth of field.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Very often, but I rarely shoot wide open. Both my fast lenses benefit from being stopped down a tad.

Had a play with a Sony FE85/1.4G today which was stunningly sharp wide open. It'd be called gear lust but for the price which was most unattractive.

7. Marabak

Marabak Member

I suppose the answer is that none of my lens are particularly fast, therefore I have to use their widest aperture if I want to do any sort of handholding anyway. Luckily, my style of photography seems quite suited to this (i.e. little landscape or architecture)

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

If what I have in mind for the picture requires it, then yes.

Lynn

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Lynn,

Well, yes, exactly. But far too many photographers seem to do it just because they can. Surprisingly many pictures that cry out for front-to-back sharpness are ruined by deliberately shallow depth of field. Others would be merely bad if they were sharp from front to back but are truly awful because of a very shallow depth of field.

Cheers,

R.

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Nah, I shoot everything at f/64 :D

Seriously though, I use (Try to use) an aperture appropriate to the subject / situation.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yup.....and with reverse tilt too sometimes:D

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Control over what's sharp and what isn't is one of the most fundamental technical issues facing any photographer - it's what makes photography unique.

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nick,

Not really.It's even easier for a skilled painter.

Cheers,

R.

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

A short list of people who find that controlling whether something is sharp or not is fundamental to their job:

Surgical instrument manufacturers
    Manufacturers of those 'fizzy shark' lemon sweets that make your face want to turn inside-out
    Designers of stylish suits
    Piano tuners

Cheers, Jeff

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Shame it tends to go out the window whenever autofocus is used though. Not that I'm anti-AF as I use it too but I can't control DoF with the kind of accuracy I can with a tripod and manual focus.

I think that fundamental technical issue of controlling what is and isn't sharp is one of the reasons I enjoy macro photography so much and is the only reason I have a TS-E 90mm. On the other hand my 70-200/2.8 IS2 only really gets used for autofocus stuff and is likely to be fairly close to wide open so it doesn't get used for anything too "technical" but I still like it.

16. CanonGary

CanonGary Member

I occasionally do although I prefer to zoom in as much as I can to reduce DOF.

I only do this as I don't have many fast lenses though.