1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you ever go out in the rain with the express purpose of taking photos?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Do you ever go out in the rain with the express purpose of taking photos? Vote on this week's poll

[​IMG]

2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

In regions like northern Sweden (Lappland) you take the weather as it comes........................and you keep your eyes open for the possible picture.

Lynn

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not so much with miserable wet rain with flat lighting but if it's a bit changeable with decent clouds structure and the chance of something decent then it has been known...

[​IMG]
    In The Light Of The Storm
    by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oh dear! Another Poll where a leeetle more thought could have gone in to the questions, I fear.

It's a great shame, because it is an interesting Poll question and one that ties in with a New Years Resolution of mine, not yet kept, to take a recently acquired waterproof 35mm film camera out in the rain a lot more. I have been a bit inspired by this bloke: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruipalha/albums/72157600334902915 .

:)

5. Changing9

Changing9 Member

As a Scandinavian (originally) I agree with what you say about the weather but your geography is a little suspect. Only a very small part of Lappland is in northern Sweden. Remember that, above the north of Sweden Norway curves right round to join up with Finland and most of Lappland is in Norway, Finland and Russia.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

[​IMG] It's the best time.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And indeed part of Norway is further east than Istanbul.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

and Finland grows delicious peas...

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And Iceland grows frozen ones. ;)

Catriona likes this.
  10. Trannifan

Det veta jag, och där är ingen fel med min geografisk kunskap, men personligt känner jag bara Norrbottens fjällen - Kebnekaise, Padjelanta osv. / I know that, and there's nothing wrong with my geographical knowledge, but I'm only familiar with Norrbotten's mountains - Kebnekaise (Sweden's highest mountain), Padjelanta (National Park) etc.

Hej!

Lynn

11. Trannifan

I know - I haven't spoken swedish for ten years now and it shows! ( and that's without trying to write a° /°a)

Lynn

12. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

A lot of years ago I was in Helsinki and there was a Pan-Scandinavian conference in the same hotel. I was surprised that the proceedings were in English. It was explained that Icelanders, Swedes, Norwegians, Finns and Danes would never understand each other otherwise.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree, had there been the option I would have answered "I don't plan to go out in the rain, but I don't let rain stop me from going out."

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't plan to go out in the rain, but I don't let rain stop me from going out .... unless it is really hissing down or horizontal or set in for the day.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I don't plan to go out in the rain, but I always have a little camera in my jacket pocket and if it rains while I'm out...

16. Chris155

Chris155 Well-Known Member

All the time. And my camera isn't weather sealed. Nor are my lenses.

I prefer shooting in the snow though.

Took this last night...

[​IMG]IMG_9853 by Chris 155, on Flickr

Themis likes this.
  17. Trannifan

[​IMG]

Heavy weather over the Sarek national park, Sweden / swedish Lappland. Taken in heavy drizzle.

Lynn

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  18. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

I wanted to tick at least three options: I don't go out in the rain on purpose, but if I'm out already and I'm not in a hurry or too wet, I'll carry on. I love catching a rainbow, or the drama of the clouds almost touching the ground, and if I can I will definitely go out and take pictures of wet leaves and flowers, drops hanging on branches or benches, and so on. I don't have a weather sealed camera, but I try my best to dry it off as soon as I'm indoors, usually under a jet of hot air! Poor things, none has given up the ghost yet (yes, I did that with all cameras I used over the years) - so far, so good!