1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you earn money from photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

This week's poll is all about cash: Do you earn any money from photography? Cast your vote today.

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Damn! No option for

I should be so lucky

or

Who'd buy my old rubbish anyway...

:D

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

But... if I made money from my photography, that would make me a Professional, so I'd have to leave this forum 'cause it's called Amateur Photographer.

So on the one hand, money, and on the other, the wit and wisdom of my fellow posters. Hmmm...

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Can't answer this one, I have been expected to take photographs for my employer but I wasn't employed to take photographs. My images were industrial photography that required my professional knowledge to achieve the required images.

Catriona likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think only if you made a living from photography that makes you a professional! Another definition I have seen is >10% of income, which may or may not be a living. What distinguishes this site as AP is the general lack of discussion of professional matters rather than the status of the participants.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sort of. My photography and my writing are inextricably mixed. I do not, however, call myself a professional photographer. Rather, I'm a paid amateur. An "amateur" is someone who loves photography...

Cheers,

R.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not any more...couldn't find much to do during the week, or at least much I was into or was worth doing and I don't like working weekends.

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Happens occasionally!

Lynn

9. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

A few regular sales on Alamy, just enough to keep me interested . . . . but I'm no Keith Morris :)

Wheelu likes this.
  10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I could not answer the poll , as it had nothing about retired professionals.
    Apart from a 3 year period in the Artillery. Photography supported me and my family till I retired.
    My positions often included litho printing and graphic design and management of all three.
    but basically I was an amateur from the age of 10, then a student and photographer till 65+
    For the past 16 + years I have returned to the amateur ranks, and not received a penny from photography since.
    Anthing I have done in recent years,I have done out of interest, and given away.

daft_biker likes this.
  11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I do get asked for prints of some of my shots and even offered money, however I reckon that I can not ask enough to cover the general nuisance of printing them, so I just do them for free and get the kudos instead.

12. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I work for less than the minimum wage by submitting to Alamy. Keeps me out of mischief in retirement!

Most of the time my earnings are pretty poor, but, occasionally, a big bucks sale comes along. It's just about enough to keep me going.

In the cold light of day, there are far easier ways of (legally) making money.