1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you currently use a 'classic' film camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Jon Devo, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jon Devo

Jon Devo Administrator Staff Member Forum Admin

Take part in this week's poll.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What about those of us who use European (includes Russian) AND Japanese classic cameras? Mine include De Vere and Gandolfi from the UK, Linhof, Alpa and Leica from mainland Europe, and Nikon and Toho from Japan. And what about American cameras? Graflex, for a start.

Cheers,

R.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

None of those. As Roger states there are other options. Anyway, not sure if my Brownie was made locally or in the states.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm "happy to be an outsider" because I use an older digital model or two. Cool! :cool:

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Define classic. I've got a Canon 50E - that's EOS mount so is that classic or modern or what? I've also got a late Bronica, I didn't know they were just about to close down the factory.

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I've also got 2 Olympus OM-1, unfortunately out of use for various reasons.

Lynn

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am not sure the Nikon F5 is considered a classic but I have a couple and even use them occasionally. Not to mention an Olympus XA that hasn't been used for a long time.

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The most recent three I've been using are a 1936 Contax ii, a 1949 Graflex Crown Graphic and a 1963 Nikon F...which explains why I couldn't pick a category in the poll!

Cheers, Jeff

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Do my two Praktica MTLs count as classic? LOL

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that I have 3 Praktica super TL1000, 2 of which are in more or less regular use- one somewhat more(slide film), one somewhat less (B&W).

Lynn

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Can't take part because although I have a number of such cameras I have not used them since I went Digital.
    Though most are in full working order.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I do currently have a roll of XP2 in a Nikon F80 if that counts. It has much of the convenience of a digital camera and my 70-200 f4 VR is fully compatible as are all but my Nikon AI lenses.

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Same here, my most up-to-date models barely scrape into this decade...:rolleyes:

14. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Another poll where I didn’t want to give the wrong impression by limiting myself to one of the answers offered!

I stopped using film once I’d bought a digital camera (Nikon D90, 2010).

The equipment I prefer to use is anything that does the job well, irrespective of age. I’m not sure what constitutes an “older” digital camera, as they haven’t been plentiful for long. But I have a few bits of much older equipment that I use with digital kit. As for my D90, for most of the time it’s been superseded by my D800, but I did use it a couple of weeks ago for taking a few shots of the underside of our new car. Quality was adequate, it gave the same maximum angle of view on my Sigma 8-16mm zoom, and I’d rather scratch the D90 than the D800 crawling around under the car and holding the camera against the concrete.

Chris

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Anything that pre-dates the current decade? Mind you for some of the 'must have the latest model' brigade older probably means 'so last week'...;):D

16. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Ouch! I've just realised that since the D850 came out I no longer own the latest model - although I did up to the week before last...

If it's any consolation my 'walking around' camera that I take to work with me every day is a D3 and that's now over ten years old - where does the time go?

Cheers, Jeff

17. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

That puts my D90 right on the cusp then; launched 2008, but I bought mine 2010. Digital cameras are still improving fast, but I think the rate of progress is slowing, and anyway the improvements get less beneficial; doubling from 6 MPx to 12 MPx was a lot more valuable than doubling from 24 MPx to 48 MPx!

Chris

18. JohnDuder

JohnDuder Member

Doesn't 'classic' tend to suggest older? Automatically, that would exclude anything digital without needing to qualify with 'film' - maybe it shoudl also remove AF cameras?

I still use a couple of Contax RTS bodies, a Pentax 67, a Rolleicord, a Leica M6... All have had films through them this year, and the Contax rescued me yesterday when my Alpha to E-mount adaptor died: I shot with Seventies Zeiss glass on the front of an Aplha 7r II.

19. David Loxley

David Loxley Member

I use two Leica 3f, had one for 60 years and the other nearly 50.
    One colour, the other mono.
    I tried a digital many years ago - rubbish. Geriatric mind-set.
    Lake District in autumn gives superb tree silhouettes.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not really, no. That would be "vintage". Or just "old". ;) Some cameras are classics whilst still available new.