1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you consider removing an object from an image ‘cheating’? 5/3

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Vote on this week's poll - Do you consider removing an object from an image ‘cheating’?

[​IMG]

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No - unless specified in the terms of submission for use. For personal stuff, anything goes (except crazy HDR and selective colour). ;)

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Another vpte for almost anything goes - except that I hardly ever do it

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

All depends - I'll sometimes tidy up if there are distracting highlights such as litter or a bright point of colour and I did remove power cables from one picture where it was impossible to find a position where they weren't running across the church we needed a record of. I don't agree with dropping things into a picture - like swapping out skies unless it is a deliberate and obvious montage. I have wished that things could be removed when discarding shots ruined by something in the way. In the recent Chinese New Year events here in Chester the lion dances were in a marked out square and it was impossible to avoid clutter. I deleted a lot of images which would have been OK without a persistently intervening head.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That's just not logical. You are either for or against modification in a particular context. What's so special about HDR and selective colour (apart from it being hideously down market and demonstrates a taste that is generally considered suspect).
    The context does make a difference. Reportage or docuumentary (both the same thing to me, but feel free to go off at a tangent to suggest otherwise) should allow no modification other than trying to recreate what the author experienced. Basically what a decent auto generated jpeg should show. An artistic creation then anyt form of synthesis goes.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You're right, it isn't. I just can't stand overdone HDR and selective colour. If I am seen using those techniques I would hope that someone who knew me well would make a swift intervention and bring me back to sanity.o_O

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We agree on something?:)
    These new smilies are tempting aren't they?

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I seem to recall we have agreed on various things in the past too.:eek:

Some of the new smilies are quite good, others less so. The above is a good one!

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

For documentary purposes, possibly; for art, I don't believe there is, or can be, such a thing as "cheating".

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The only time I've done that was spotting out a cigarette end from a photo I took at Surprise View. I still think I cheated.

11. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

If it's a News photo then strictly verboten, otherwise whyever not? I must have cloned out many miles of power cable, moved sheep around on a hillside, tidied virtual rubbish off many a street etc.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Since I don't do documentary or natural history 'seriously' I have no issue with moving/removing stuff, after all those clever people with the paint and the brushes have been doing it for centuries....:D

I don't even have an issue with dropping in skies or adding other elements. If you can do it and do it convincingly and it's for arty purposes then fine - though I can get into a grump when all those digital art images grab all the glory at the expense of us real photographers...;)

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Of course it's cheating. But then, so is most art, so who necessarily cares?

Cheers,

R.

14. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

It depends what cheating means. What are the rules? If I presented a composite in a no composites competition then it is clearly cheating. If I just put it in some gallery with no rules then it cannot be cheating. Is Star Wars cheating?

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I do not enter competitions. I am not even sure I would ever submit a news picture. So i do not concern myself with rules of any sort.
    However... while I would certainly remove annoying dog ends and rubbish. I do not remove fixtures. Power lines, people, aerials, and street furniture will all add to the interest some day in the future. So I am never in favour of sanatising views.

Even rubbish and discarded items can be part of the essence of a scene, so there are occasions where it should not be touched, and even emphasised.

16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

It depends upon the image in question. For a straight run-of-the-mill landscape etc. I wouldn't dream of removing anything, except dirt and cat hairs, since that, for me, would be 'cheating'. For my abstracts and impressionist pictures, besides dirt and cat hairs, it depends upon the image in question and the mood I'm in. That goes under 'art'.

Lynn

17. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

With a photograph I usually want to record what I see. If I physically remove a piece of litter, I’ve improved the view for all, and can take an attractive photo without any need to edit the litter out.

Journalists must show “reality”. Wildlife photographers are also generally expected to, and in competitions are usually expected to demonstrate their fieldcraft and camera skills rather than their editing abilities. But beyond this, much photography is about creating striking images, where no editing techniques are “cheating”. But if it isn’t obvious, I would still like to know, for instance, whether the sun really set between a pair of mountains as shown, or whether it was placed there in editing for artistic effect.

Chris

18. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

@velocette Are you on IE11 or earlier version? No text is appearing in your posts...:(

Explorer doesn't seem to work with this forum software - I've tried...

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It does - at least enough to reply - use Compatibility View.