1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you apply sharpening to your images in post production?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

This week we ask - Do you apply sharpening to your images in post production?

Cast your vote on the poll.

[​IMG]

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Yes. And a right mess I make of it most of the time!

Cheers, Jeff

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No option for 'I usually use the default for the RAW processor I use, unless a particular image has special needs, or a particular area in the image needs special attention' otherwise known as 'yes, sometimes more than others'.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

A minimal amount on most images

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Usually use a standard amount but not high on strength. The example looks a bit contrived to me. I'd bin anything that soft.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yes and the amount applied depends on the output format.

I suspect that sometimes I apply a bit too much and have been making a conscious attempt to reduce the levels used. It also seems that I need to apply less sharpening to Nikon images than Canon - not sure why, different strength AA filters might be the reason. I have noticed that curved and diagonal lines on my D50 are more prone to 'jaggies' than my 20D.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I was shown an interesting technique using an alpha channel to create a mask that allows you to sharpen only the edges of things and only those edges that you want. I don't bother sharpening anything until it's ready for print though and never bother for stuff to bung up online.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Standard Lightroom settings usually. Very rarely bump it for specific purposes/images as required.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I sharpen as part of the raw processing, checking it at 100 %
    I then out put sharpen as necessary.
    I use the Pete Bridgwood method for Fuji raws.

10. Mark Adams

Mark Adams Well-Known Member

It all depends on the photo I take and what equipment I take it on.

Mark

11. Stelsher

Stelsher Well-Known Member

I sharpen to suit the output, different approach for printing versus putting something on the Web, although as a rule it's on the subtle side.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If I feel it needs it. Usually a 'sharpen edges' in PS6, which I then use the 'fade' function to reduce it to the desired level.