1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you adjust your aperture for landscape images, or...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

... do you use the same every time?

Take part and vote on this week's poll - Do you adjust your aperture for landscape images, or do you use the same every time?

[​IMG]

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - Do you adjust your aperture for landscape images, or.

None of the multiple choice options really reflect my practice.

Most of the time, for landscapes, I use aperture priority and probably set it at f/11 if using my 24-70mm or 70-200mm lenses or f/8 if using the 14-24mm (don't ask why the difference; I just intuitively do).

But then I will occasionally adjust to some other setting if conditions, or my visualisation of the final picture, suggest something else.

Once upon a time, I would use Manual and take a reading from the sky but now I tend to use exposure compensation to get a shutter speed that provides the exposure balance I am looking for.

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I just point and shoot. It works for me and a billion or so others.

[​IMG]

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Actually Senator, that is not quite correct. A few years after AE, AF and auto-flash had been around in 35mm compacts, they did a major survey out east. They found that the number of picture failures had increased. It may work for you, but for many of the billions ;) in the survey, they were definitely losing out. :( Cheers, Oly

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The inevitable need to compromise between depth of field, diffraction and ultimate sharpness.
    And the added factor of shake related to shutter speed or the desire for a long exposure effects, means that any such compromise is complex and almost certainly less than optimal.

All my settings are on a shot by shot basis, and what I am able to achieve in the circumstances.

Happy snaps take their own chances.......

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

f/64 and crack on.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Odd question. I use whatever aperture I feel is appropriate, or if shooting pinhole, whatever it happens to be fixed at (f138 if I'm not mistaken).

8. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

I am not much of a landscaper but I try to use a smaller one if possible. Like f11 or 16.

9. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Your definition of "works" is less stringent than mine then.

The aperture I choose is part of the photographic process for every image I take. To photograph without a thought process behind it just leads to photographs that, bar a fortunate few, don't work.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Odd question. Depends on the lens, the light and the subject and on the camera too ( format and useable ISO range)

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Echo all that, and a bit more

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  12. Sejanus.Aelianus

If God had meant us to think about photography, she'd never have given us Matrix Metering...

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Q.E.D.

14. Sejanus.Aelianus

Only in your opinion.

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

15. PhotoEcosse

Another example (just like last week) where neither the poll question compiler nor some of the respondents seem to have read the article to which the Poll refers.

I guess the question arose because, in leading to the article on pp12-17, the Deputy Editor stated that he is "an f/11 shooter".

Eric

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If it is anticipated that many users of the forum may not be regular readers of the magazine, a bit of context could be added. "This week, relating to our article on...., we are asking..." Perhaps even a summary or abstract to make us more interested and potentially buy the magazine.

I know, I know, rocket science.

17. PhotoEcosse

Actually, Zou, compared to many current technologies, rocket science is exceedingly simple..............

But, I agree with you about providing more context.

Eric

18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

As my copy has still not arrived I have not read the article in question.
    However it seems that the Idea of being a F11 man, only makes sense if you always use the same format and lens for your landscapes.

There comes a point where closing the lens any further become counter productive because of the effects of diffraction.
    This may indeed be F11 for a particular lens and camera.
    On a small compact it may be nearer F4 and with a large format combination it may be F64.

However there is a school of though that suggests Diffraction is in some way additive. This means that although an image that is diffraction limited, Depth of field can still be increased at smaller apertures than the optimum, Whilst at the same time the maximum sharpness over all decreases. But the effect is a gain in perceptual sharpness.

If this is true, and there is some evidence that it is, F11 man might gain some extra credibility at F16 in some circumstances.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  19. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

As above, and depending upon what the intended use of the photo is or might later be, there are many variables.

20. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Shooting with a Sony NEX 6 and a collection of manual focus lenses my default aperture is f8. More than that and diffraction cuts in, while for many consumer grade lenses f8 is the sweet spot. I normally only shoot landscapes when the sun is shining, so it's rarely necessary to go wider.

I always shoot raw, and generally mess about in PS to ensure that the sky and other bits are shown to their best advantage. The difference that makes compared to a standard JPG, is akin to that referred to as the proverbial chalk and cheese.

Further, I rarely shoot landscapes at anything other than infinity focus as it produces the sharpest possible rendering of distant bits.

So I use my reasonably sophisticated mirrorless machine as I would a box camera for much of the time, but always take care in post processing to get the best possible result from the exposure.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015