1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

poll - Do the video features of a camera affect your purchasing decision?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Do the video features of a camera affect your purchasing decision? Please cast your vote on this week's poll question.

[​IMG]

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've never had the urge to shoot video, so no, those features played no part in my last DSLR purchase.

That said, taking all cameras into consideration, my most recent five camera purchases were:

Nikon F
    Nikkormat FT
    Olympus OM-2
    Yashica Minister III
    Yashica Minister D

In purchasing these cameras their video (in)abilities didn't even enter my mind!

Cheers, Jeff

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I do shoot some video, but my purchase decision is purely based on stills ability - except for my GoPro clone, anyway.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Not interested in video.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have shot a (very) little video so it's a nice to have feature but as for checking the details no I do not even know what the terms mean

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I answered "No - I don't care for video", but a more accurate answer that applied to my most recent purchase of a new DSLR would have been "Yes - I try to avoid cameras with video".

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not in the slightest. Since I don't shoot video and have no interest in shooting video it makes no difference to me whether a cameras video capabilities are good, bad, indifferent or non-existent...

Pretty much all the video I've ever shot is due to the mode dial on my compact accidentally getting knocked to the video setting...

Zou likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Yes. Video means extra controls that I don't need, and a greater chance of pressing the wrong button by accident. So like AlexMunro, I'll do my best to avoid video. If (God forbid!) anything happened to my M9, the video features on an M Typ 240 might be enough to dissuade me from considering the 240.

Cheers,

R.

Zou likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't mind video provided the video start button can be programmed to do something else that is useful when the camera is in still mode. This is not possible on the Nikon D7100 but has been fixed on the D7200 and D500. I have set the movie start button on my D500 to exposure mode. This is useful when using a long lens hand held when one cannot let go the lens with the left hand.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Like others, I would go out of my way to avoid a camera with video. One where the button/s can be reprogrammed to do something useful (non-video) would come second.

Zou and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I wouldn't. In general, I would consider that rather foolish, as many video features have a direct or indirect benefit for stills photography - direct in terms of better live view, for example, indirect in terms of improved noise reduction when using live view, which has come largely as a result of video. So give me a camera with video every time, as it will almost certainly be better for stills; just I don't really care that much about video facilities.

Learning likes this.
  12. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I had dabbled in video in the past until my son "borrowed" my camcorder and I never saw it again. Now I have grandchildren I do use the video feature on my Nikon and LUMIX cameras to record key stages in their development.

Pip pip, Andrew

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No. If I were interested I would buy a video camera (assuming they exist)

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

They definitely do. The suppliers of such machines also stock XQD cards while at least one local photo retailor's assistant has not even heard of them.

15. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Not at all. I'm sure my current cameras are very capable of dealing with video, it just that I have very limited interest in that function.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes, although more so on compacts than it has been on DSLRs. I don't mind that my DSLR has it and even if it's no good as an action cam....it has it's uses with a macro lens.

17. Elliejones

Elliejones Active Member

When I brought my camera, didn't even look at the video capabilities as it wasn't something I was interested in... I have my iphone if I want to take a video snapshot!

Mind you saying that I can't see that it's an easy task using a dslr to shot video footage, wrong shape really to sit comfortably in the hand, and still be able to see what you shooting, and what's around the area being filmed, As for live view, well on my camera it's not easy to see in strong daylight,

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I wasn't interested in shooting video and so the video capability or otherwise of my existing cameras wasn't part of the equation when choosing them. That said I have made a couple of experimental films on the 5D Mk III since being at art school and I'd like to do more so I imagine that when the 5D collapses from overuse I will look to replace it with something that can produce similar quality video.

19. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Video is becoming increasingly important in news photography, with the web editions of the papers including clips. Not that I am into that, but it's a trend that may percolate down to the amateur market.

I do shoot video on occasion and would not buy a new digital camera without the facility. I love the combination of sound and movement, what's not to like?

I remember the first time I tried to use the format, sending a video message from my wife to overseas relatives, I was amazed at the quality of the output. Today Skype renders that sort of thing unnecessary,, but it was a good introduction. I've since posted a few YouTube videos.

If you've not yet tried it, have a go, it's great fun.

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Extract 1: "What's not to like?" Sound and movement! I hate bloody video.

Extract 2: "It's great fun". No it isn't. I don't want to take videos, and I certainly don't want to watch them. And yes, I have tried it.

Cheers,

R.