1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Could you go back to your first digital camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

As you well know, it ain’t what you got, it’s how you use it that counts. That may not, of course, be much consolation or satisfy the demands of all those we have to please, but I suspect that all right-minded folk understand that, deep down, the truth of the statement is evident. It is not so long ago, after all, that we were amazed to have the almost 3 million pixels of the Nikon D1 – well, 12 years to be precise. And now you can’t buy a camera phone with fewer pixels.

How many do we need, and when do we have enough for the task in hand? To my mind, more pixels on larger sensors will always be better, but what we can see this week is that when it comes down to it, the best camera is the one that you have with you. Perhaps the latest iPhone is better than the D1 that was used for Fashion Week, Wimbledon and the FA cup back in the day. And given the choice between an iPhone and no camera at all, what would you choose? That’s an easy question, but one most of us won’t have to answer in earnest in the same way that Michael Christopher Brown did (see AP dated 21 April 2012, pages 33-36). Haven’t we been spoiled?

Take part in this weeks poll Could you go back to your first digital camera? by clicking on the link.

[​IMG]

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes but I'd miss the quality.......and the speed, and the control, and the ability to use AF in anything less than full sun.....

...I don't think I'd miss the video function though. Had a panning video shot request recently and after acquiring a suitable tripod head went and shot it with my DSLR. A couple of hours later I went back and reshot it with a compact as the video from the DSLR was too jerky once I got back home and saw it on the computer:mad:

You're not trying hard enough;)

3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I sometimes still use my first digital camera a Canon G3 It is still a very effective camera especially for close ups for web use.
    I did not move to digital until they became fully usable.

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I just luuuurv my first digital camera - so much so, that I went out and bought a second identical model.

Mind you, I have only had them for 11 months and 3 months respectively. :p :D

5. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

My first was a little Fuji compact 2MP. If I had it, I could take pictures suitable for the web with no problem. It's not the machine that counts, but the user ;)

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My first digital was a Canon G2, obviously a side by side comparison at A4 with the output from a modern digital does show up the difference but it you look at the output in isolation they still seem fine photos, and it is easily portable so I do still go back and use it occasionally for old times sake.

Stupid little things do annoy me though - calling aperture priority Tv and the slowness of the power zoom for example.

Roger

7. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Of course I could. But I'd rather not thanks :p

My iPhone is nicer to use, and probably of better quality than my first digital (Olympus 3MP thing)

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

It would be fun to use a Canon Ion RC-360, with 260,000 pixels again, assuming you could still find the mini floppy disks it used. But probably only briefly!

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Yes and I frequently do.

MickLL

10. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

My first was a Fuji with 2.0MP and a screen smaller than a postage stamp. Flash modes were on, off and a God awful anti-red eye attempt that just did one flash about 5 seconds before the shutter went, so that people would think the initial flash was the picture being taken, and then walk off just as the proper flash went off.

Video was (I think) 16 FPS and with no sound.

Could I use it again? Absolutely, and I still do on occassions where there's a possibility of it taking a drop or a soaking.
    Under scrutiny I'd imagine it has distortion aplenty and is horrendous at high ISO, but it's colours are good and I've printed 7x5 from it in the past with no noticable lack of detail.

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My first digital camera was a little kodak easyshare job - the DX4330. It had a massive 3.1 megapixels and supposedly shot video. It was a revelation not to have to wait a week for D&P! We still have it - the kids take it to school discos to take rubbish pictures of each other pouting in all their finest. It goes on camping trips and I occasionally use it to take record shots of set-ups to demonstrate how I got a shot for college.

12. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Yes, of course........ but no, thanks all the same.......

I jumped in at the deep end with a Fuji S2 Pro, so quality wise it was really very good. The problem is that my expectations have risen over time, experience and upgrades. Sadly, the sensor failed a few years ago, just as I tested it before packaging up to send off to an Ebay buyer - very embarrassing!

I got a D100 fairly soon after and that is still in use - my dad has it and takes some great shots, with a kit lens too.

The fact is, damage and wear and tear aside, the latest improvements in the latest model don't suddenly make the kit you have work any less well.
    But it's also a fact that, given the choice between a working S2 Pro and my D700, the S2 would not get a look in (not against my P7000 either, TBH).

13. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

My first digicam was a 6Mpxl Lumicron LDC-618z, bought for 50 quid from Somerfield in an end of line sale.

Chromatic aberration was horrible, but it least it had a viewfinder and full manual control, unlike many of today's bottom of the range compacts. I learned quite a lot with it, and a few months later bought a Fuji S9500 bridge, which I still use occasionally.

14. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Yes, my old Canon powershot A610 to be honest it is still very good, great built quality and great 5Mpx worh of picture, 4x zoom. Still use it every now and then. There are even few pictures in my flikr gallery taken on that camera.

15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

My first was Canon 300d for a very short while and I suppose it would be okay at a pinch. I could welcome back my second, a Sony R1.

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Go back?...

Technically I haven't ever really stopped using it. I was using it Saturday and it's in the boot of the car right now.

EOS D30 rules OK!:D

17. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

Yeah, quite easily. It was a Minolta F300 digital compact and it was a whopping 5mp!

Fantastic little camera and I would still use it now (as a carry around) but it died and I couldn't get it fixed as a repair cost about the same as buying a new camera!

The macro on it was really good and I made prints of A3+ that won club competitions. *sigh* I miss that little camera.

[​IMG]

18. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

No certainly not. It was a Fuji thing with a very long shutter delay and the images had a plasticky look to them. Drove me back to using film in no time at all!

Currently shooting 100% digital though, things move on :(

19. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I clicked "No it was awful", my first digicam being a KodaK 210+. However, if the question was could I go back to my first decent digicam, the answer would be a wholehearted YES, because it was a Canon A20 which was brilliant for its day - almost 2MP, NO VIDEO, and with interpolation in Photoshop using Stair Interpolation, , a very good A3 print could be made.

But like many others, I have been suckered into replacing my camera every time the pixel count increased; whilst modern cameras are easy to use, for my type of photography, generally printing to 6x4 or A4 occasionally, the A20 was sufficient. I am now on cameras 44,45,46 and 47. Will I never learn.......

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Similar story here - the issue was it was fine in good light, poor in anything else. What gets me the most is how tiny the screen is.