1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Can mirrorless cameras match DSLRs for your kind of photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

This week's question is: Can mirrorless cameras match DSLRs for your kind of photography? Cast your vote today.

[​IMG]

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I voted "yes already switched" but you really need "yes and I have both" for people like me.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Aargh! I've commented on this in another thread, but to summarise, there's no option for me to vote here. There's nothing wrong with mirrorless, absolutely nothing, but for me they're physically too small and don't feel right in my hands. That's why I moved from mirrorless to DSLR!

Cheers, Jeff

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Can DSLRs match rangefinder cameras for my kind of photography...?

Cheers,

R.

Zou likes this.
  5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Same her really except that I voted 'No but I expect they will soon' base solely on the fact that I'm not entirely convinced that are quite there yet with action photography. As far as other less mobile subjects goes the Panny G3 I have seems able enough though, as Jeff points out, it is a bit tiny...

6. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Switched some time ago, but still have my (heavy and bulky) Canon FF DSLR kit, which is now hardly ever used.

Why so I keep it? Well I mainly shoot manual focus on mirrorless, and, for photos of friends and family the auto focus on the Canon is useful. I don't shoot sport or wildlife, so I don't normally need autofocus. That's not to say that mirrorless can't do autofocus however, but my implementation of it, and the lenses that I have, are not quite up to it. I'm pretty sure that the latest generation of mirrorless will handle it with ease. Actually, even with the Canon, and when things are moving in a fixed trajectory, I always got better results by pre-focussing and using the back button to hold the focus, rather than rely on dynamic autofocus.

7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I keep saying at my age I dont ever need another camera or to upgrade but sometimes the sheer weight of my camera around my neck is always in the back of my mind! I could cope with 35mm and fx body but again sooner or later I would regret getting rid of my longer lenses.....I have never used a mirror less and I dont know anybody who has one, but I often read updates about them, and lets face it there are no bad cameras out there at present!

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have have had both systems (four thirds and micro four thirds) for some while and when I was going to Iceland a few years ago I decided to get an extra camera. After much thought I decided I needed a full frame so got a 6D. So that was a third set of lenses (idiot) but I have never regretted the choice. Like fishboy I have big mits and the weight of the 6D plus the 24-105 does not irk, if I want to travel light the 6D plus good macro lens 40mm pancake is almost pocketable and with IQ like that I can always crop.

Incidentally an 11 year old grandaughter was lodged on us for a week of the summer holidays with instructions to see if grandad could help her get an entry for her village fete photo competition. I just lent her the E5 and a good macro lens and she got first prize easily, no complaints about the size or weight at all.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, years ago.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I still have a dslr but I have not touched it in two years.
    so I can say the change has well and truly stuck.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I haven't "switched", I have both ... and a rangefinder. Horses for courses. :)

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Slightly one-sided set of questions. I have a 3 lens CSC kit now which is a useful less weight option for travelling light which gives perfectly reasonable results but match? No way. The user experience isn't up to my DSLR kit but this is at the higher end of what is available. i gave no answer.

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

No, or at least I doubt it with some of my most used lenses and none of them are small or light enough for me to want to use them on a mirrorless camera.

With my TS-E 90mm a mirrorless camera would be OK but doubt I could shoot handheld macro with my MP-E 65mm or action with my 70-200/2.8 IS2 as well as with a DSLR.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can't respond to the poll either, never say never.
    I agree with many commentators that mirrorless cameras tend to be too small for comfort and the user experience isn't as good either.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

As a kind of addendum to my earlier post I happened to be out with the G3 yesterday evening playing about with IR. This entailed me using a tripod and live view on the back screen. The back screen is quite respectable but it's quite small compared to those on my live view DSLRs and the icons do make it a bit hard to see the edges but there's ways round that so not an insurmountable problem but isn't ideal... Perhaps more of an issue is battery life - in an hour and a half or so of use the battery indicator went from full to 1 segment left - far quicker than any of my DSLRs - even the battery munching D30 does better than that. And before anybody points out the obvious I am aware that using live view on a DSLR also increases the rate of battery drain but this is offset by the batteries generally having more capacity and that in normal use the viewing system is optical and the drain on the battery is negligible. I suspect that the rear screen may be more energy hungry than the small finder screen but even using the finder the sensor is still munching the volts at a fair old rate...

16. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

Whatever "device" you use, the function is to compose the image. While most "viewfinders" can provide other info., it is a bonus when the device offers greater flexibility in use.
    An EVF can never damage your eyes, like an OVF can if the sun is viewed directly through it. An EVF can be controlled to provide magnification, light level boost, flexible positioning and so much more than an OVF can ever do.

But as always, it's personal choice, and I do find myself often shooting "tethered" to an iPad, PC or SmartPhone, so the on camera view finder is redundant anyway...

17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Just purchased a Lumix GX8 and it does the job as a light weight travel camera. Would I ditch the Canon EOS5d mkiii - NEVER ! By the way the GX8 has an amazingly fast focus system and 8 fps .

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

As others have said, yes, mirrorless can probably match DSLRs technically for my kind of photography - mainly landscapes - but I still prefer the feel of a DSLR. So no option for me to vote.

And I'm quite enjoying using rangefinders (coupled and uncoupled), and even scale focus cameras, as well!

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Neither.........

Lynn

20. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

The options were far too absolute for me to vote. Mostly I shoot hand-held, and although the EVF of my LX-100 displays useful information that my D800 DSLR can’t match, I suspect EVFs will always seem more artificial, so that I’d prefer to stick with a DSLR. But on a tripod I use live view for more accurate autofocus, but dislike having to put on spectacles and struggle to see the monitor in bright light. From a tripod, I expect the Sony Alpha 7RII’s viewfinder would be much better, and the system should give better results than any DSLR yet available. But the outfit I would want wouldn’t save any weight, as most of that would be in the lenses.

If I was looking for a lighter system, one based on a Fujifilm X-T had seemed tempting for its range of quality lenses, until they announced their 16-55mm F2.8 lens (I use a mid-range zoom for most shots), with no image stabilization available in the lens or body.

If I wanted to save a lot of weight, the small sensor size of Four Thirds would be the way to go, and unfortunately DSLRs are no longer available in that format.

Chris