1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Are you in a camera club?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Digital Dave

Digital Dave Well-Known Member

It seem that I might have 'struck gold' :D

I have found small photgraphy club (around 25 members) just a 15 minute drive away.

It was only found by chance while searching the www for East Anglian based clubs, as unlike all the other clubs in the area, its not a member of any federation. As such, it doesn't feature in any of the published 'lists'.

Having contacted them, it seems that they are a very informal group, with a common interest in digital photography, and desire to improve their skills.

Like most camera clubs, they shut down for the summer months, and at their first meeting of the new season, the whole group discuss what they would like to have in the programme of events. Not 'committee dictated', but a democratic choice.

They do have competitions, but these are a apparently 'light hearted' affairs, and done more for the fun aspect.

The description on their website reads:

"We are a group of photography enthusiasts who meet on a monthly basis to discuss topics regarding digital photography, and to explore how to improve our photo skills. We a based in ********** in Suffolk, and have a group of about 25 members"

So, it would seem that the search for "my sort of camera club", might well be over, and I am looking forward to going along to their meetings, when they resume in October.

Dave:D

2. Picofthings

Picofthings In the Stop Bath

I was a member of a club two years ago, but it did not last. Most of the members don’t participate in any event at all without any reason, which leads to organisers dismantle the club. Anyway, Dave, how's your experience in that club?:)

3. Digital Dave

Digital Dave Well-Known Member

I don't know yet, as it doesn't start until October, but 'watch this space' and I will update it when I have 'tested the water'.

The problem with getting people to participate in club activities, whatever sort of club it is, is a common problem unfortunately.

The saying that "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink", is very applicable here.

Dave

4. Phooto

Phooto Member

I'm a member of a club - Aldershot & Farnham, and have been for about 10 years. The competitions while frustrating, do encourage the production of work to a 'standard' at regular intervals, a good discipline.

The frustrating thing I find about all clubs is their view of what is called 'Audio Visual'. These are sequences of still images, usually set to music or narration and have simply evolved from slides set to music or narration. Where there are competitions, they are usually set to strict rules that ignore progress in technology, and set (as far as I can tell) by people who have simply transitioned from the old slide AVs.

So much more is possible now, and ignored by the clubs an attitude which does not attract younger members - a consistent problem I see at clubs. They are stuck with tradition, doing thing the way they have been done for the last 50 years in fear of upsetting the old boys.

If you find a club that has some forward thinking, then good. (I think ours is). If it's full of pensioners who tut when you mention video or photoshop manipulation, walk away!

5. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

There are those of us, like me, caught in a no mans land. On the one hand we value the new technology and we love it but we appreciate the old ways of working with photography, we're not the new breed of Instamatic-Fiends. The old guard don't wish to change and still see digital as a fad, then there are the new kids who don't want to sit around a community building on a Thursday night, they have plenty of online "clubs" in the various social networks.

I believe I am one of many lost souls with regards camera clubs. Too young to be "fuddy-duddy" and too old to be one of the Facebook/Twitter generation! :(

6. Buri_Ram

Buri_Ram Active Member

I am a long distance member of a club not finding any suitable to my circumstances locally.

7. m.rignall

m.rignall Active Member

:(Definitely not. My main interest in photography is building and designing cameras. Try taking a hand built camera (no not a Coke can with a hole in the side) to a club meeting and you will not get a glance from the print judges. However there is a chink in the A2 printers club, this occurs when they need a speaker to fill a gap in the print judging schedule, then a lecture on DIY cameras seems to be acceptable.

8. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Yes I am a member of a club only 5 miles away from where I live, great fun, knowledgeable elders and frequent competitions where I do not feel out of my depth....