1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Are you in a camera club?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jul 3, 2012.

1. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

I would never seek to deprive any individual from the pleasure that they get from the club circuit from whatever angle they choose to pursue it and no doubt many clubs are different in many ways. But its not for me :)

And yes my M4-P still does sterling service :)

2. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a member of Yardley Photographic Society (Birmingham). It's a nice friendly place, and it helps I've won a few competitions this year ;)

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Excellent on both counts, kind of you on the first! Long may we have the freedom of choice. :)

4. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Not now, but I did think about a brush club.

5. PhotographerSLR

PhotographerSLR Well-Known Member

Sadly no :( the nearest 1 from me is quite a distance & starts/finishes late

6. Digital Dave

Digital Dave Well-Known Member

No, but I have been seriously looking for one that is more about photography, and not obsessed with an endless round of competitions.

As a member of another forum said, of the next 16 meetings at his local club, 11 are competition meetings.

I have three clubs local to me, and they are all more about competitions than photography. In fact one of the three, actually states that members are expected to enter competitions, and submit their work to outside judges.

I did find one club that is a 'shining example' of how IMO, a camera club should be run to suit a variety of interests, and that was the Glemsford club in Suffolk.

Unfortunatley, its something like a 50 mile round trip, otherwise, that would be the club for me.

If I wanted to compete, I would join a local football or cricket club.

I would just like to be able to enjoy my photography for the rewading hobby that it is, with like-minded people, and to exchange ideas, techniques, and experiences with them.

I have no objection to competitions within a club, as for some people this all they want, but it doesn't have to be the "be all and end all" of the club's activity, as seems to be the case with the majority of clubs.

In the mean time, I'll keep on searching for a club like the Glemsford club, that's a bit nearer to me, albeit I think it will be a fruitless search, and I'll just continue to "wander lonely as a cloud", with my camera.:(

Dave

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  7. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I was a junior member of my village camera club some thirty years ago, receiving much encouragement and advice. I moved away from the area to go to collage and have not been involved in (camera) club life since. I do occasionally think about visiting some of my local clubs but know that my current working hours would allow me to regularly attend evening meetings, perhaps one day.

8. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

I just started to go to a camera club over here and most want to run competitions all the time, I want go out for a shoot and have some fun..

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Ayr Photographic society is one of the larger Scottish Clubs with over 80 members and a healthy waiting list.
    http://ayrps.com/index.html
    There is a long tradition of participation in both external and internal competitions and the judging nights form the backbone of the annual syllabus. Around these events, there are workshops, outings and inspirational speakers, making a diverse programme. We work hard to keep the club a friendly place where people can learn, share knowledge and ideas.
    The competitions are taken seriously by some and tongue-in-cheek by others- most are happy to hear the judges views on their efforts (the opinons usually form a good discussion point).
    If Damien would like to come and visit the club (Ryanair Stanstead-Prestwick is so cheep you could even afford a return!) he would be more than welcome (and we would get out the chocolate biscuits!).

Graeme (President 2012-13)

10. Beryl Allcoat

Beryl Allcoat Active Member

No, My interests are in the artistic, not Competitions or equipment. Now if i could find one that went out and about, then I would be interested, as I now find that I get a bit intimidated by some of the youth of today. (One of my previous pastimes was Judo but if I had to use that skill today I would be the one with broken limbs) :D

11. Digital Dave

I have just had a look at the Poll results, and by far the bigest vote has gone to "I have never been tempted".

I have to wonder what is the biggest 'turn-off' preventing people joining a camera club :confused:

In my case it has been the overriding obsession with competitions that many clubs seem to have, as opposed to being more about photography.

I have now found a club, within reasonable travelling distance, whose programme for Sep 2012 to Apr 2013 has just four competition evenings.

My local club has some nineteen competition evenings, over the same period.

My vote was "I would like to join one", and I will be 'testing the water' of the club with just four competition evenings, come September.

I should add, that although I have just turned 70, I don't do cardigans, pipe and slippers :rolleyes:. This would be a big 'turn off' for me.

Dave

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. Martin Erhard

Martin Erhard Member

No, not since the 1970's

A typical camera club web site will show a selection of members work. Invariably including images of bluebells in a wood, a steam train and a portrait of some wizened old bloke in Nepal taken by the club president on his last expensive holiday. All will be imaginatively titled such as 'woodland view' or 'life in the fast lane'.

Members will be expected to enter endless competitions/battles amongst themselves and against other clubs. Most of the clubs activity will be taken up with this. On the few club nights when there are no competitions and despite whatever other activity has been arranged the judges decisions and points scored at the last competition will be the main topic of conversation.

Lastly the club will be run by the inevitable committee. Whether it be a cricket, caravanning, flower arranging or camera club committees are made up of the same type of people.
    They enjoy the meetings, the minute taking, the minutia of club rules and thrive in that environment
    Each holding strong views on the way the club should be run means it is no surprise dark political battles wage beneath the surface. There is certainly enough potential material at the average camera club to inspire a whole episode of Midsomer Murders.

Only joking of course but in essence that is why I and many others shy away from camera clubs.

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because they're miserable anti-social gits, the people that is not the club - though sometimes it is the club of course...:D

14. 0lybacker

Damien and posters to, and readers of, this Thread may find Niall Ferguson's final Reith Lecture (BBC R4 10/7/12 9am) worth a listen on iPlayer if not already heard.

Actually, this year's RT was one of the best I have listened to. Well done, Beeb! :)

15. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Yes, I joined a local club just over a year ago. At first I was a bit inhibited by the fact that everyone else (about 40 members) seemed to know each other. I am shy and found it difficult to strike up conversation, especially because most of the time people appeared to be talking about their social, personal stuff, unconnected to photography, and no-one really took any notice of me. :(

However, I persevered because the weekly lectures, demos and exhibitions by visiting photographers were genuinely interesting and I felt that as time passed I would get to know more people.

Every month there is a photo competition. I noticed that the standard, although sometimes very good, was very inconsistent and on several occasions I felt that many of the entries were really quite "weak". That gave me confidence to enter a few. I was pleasantly surprised to get high scores, and at the end of the first year I actually came top in the Intermediare Prints section, and second in the Intermediate PDI section. Wow! That surprised me and gave me confidence in my photography - but it did nothing for getting to know other members.

I still haven't made any friends there. A lot of the members are quite old, already know each other and do not appear (to me) to be very interested in meeting others or even talking about photography.

They do have outings, but I gather they spend more time in the pub than taking photos. I don't drink, so I haven't been on one. Having said that, perhaps the outings are the best opportunity to get to know people?

It all re-starts in September, I shall go for a second year and see what happens.

Regards, Mike

16. Digital Dave

Sorry to hear that you have been given the 'cold shoulder' treatment Mike. There is absolutely no excuse for that, in fact it's just damn rude, and typical of the 'clique mentality' that exsists in many clubs, whatever type of club its is.

As I said earlier, I have never been a member of any camera club, but I'm going to visit one as a guest visitor, when they resume their meetings in September, and will 'test the water'.

I am not at all a shy person, but if I sense any feeling of being unwelcome, or the existence of the 'clique culture', then I will be out of the door, not to return.

Dave

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suspect with this attitude you'll find both, whether they actually exist or not...

Clubs are not for everyone but you do have to approach them with an open mind and free of preconceptions. Remember if those who are already members sense hostility or predjudice then it's likely they could be less welcoming than they might otherwise be...

18. 0lybacker

Should almost be a requirement that to be on the club committee, you have to be able to greet new people and introduce them to others. Some clubs even have 'Greeter (s)' as formal job(s) within the club.

19. Digital Dave

Not an attitude at all Nigel, but the expectation of common courtesy, and your comment leads me to suspect that the unwelcoming'clique culture' does exist within your club, and that you may have been on the receiving end of it, that is assumimg you are a member of a camera club.

I run my own astro-imaging group and associated forum, and I can assure you that all of the committee, and the members are very welcoming to newcomers. If we sensed 'cliques' forming, or any 'sidelining' of new members, we would 'stamp on it' very quickly.

The 'them and us' culture has no place in our group, and nor should it in any club or group.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  20. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

Here's an open invitation to anyone who has ever had a bad experience at a camera club.

The Barking Photographic Society considers itself as being a very friendly and welcoming club, with a diverse membership. The only "Them-n-Us" relates to who wants Tea or Coffee and we even cater for the cold drinks takers. ;)

Over the years we have had a good number of guests, come along to spend a couple of hours, with us on a Thursday evening at the Eastbury Manor House, which is a grand venue for our meetings and activities. Notable guest have included, in the past, Terence Donovan & David Bailey, with this year Damien Demolder providing for us an excellent discussion on his photography and Mark Thackara with two models, the brand new Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens and the new TG-1, for us to use.

Yes we do have our own competitions for both prints and projected images, along with entering our work into competitions with other local clubs. The club is also active in the local community, supporting many of the LBBD events, as well as an extensive range of trips out, adhoc visits, and activities throughout the year.

So, if you are in the area, and have nothing better to do on a Thursday evening at 7:45 pm, pop along and join us for a free cuppa & biscuit and who knows what, depending on what evening it is.

Cheers

http://www.barkingphotographicsociety.co.uk/page3.html

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/eastbury-manor-house/