1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Apart from magazines, where do you turn to for help with your photography problems?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Take part and vote on the first poll question of 2017 - Apart from magazines, where do you turn to for help with your photography problems?

[​IMG]

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I quite like books as a means of instruction (that includes the user manual)

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm classing the 'photography problems' in question as being those that can't be resolved by the application of a reasonable amount of common sense or resorting to the 'RTFM' rule.

I usually find that this very forum is the ideal place to bring any knotty (photographic) problems that I may have.

Cheers, Jeff

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

There was no 'all of the above' button to choose. Of course, it depends what I'm hoping to learn. I find online video tutorials useful for getting to grips with an unfamiliar editing technique and also for demos of cameras. I don't learn very well by reading technicalities in a book - the information doesn't seem to stick, whereas if I see it happening in front of me I'm more likely to remember it. I guess that makes me a visual learner? But I also learn well by 'doing' it for myself and working out what went wrong.

AlanW and SXH like this.
  5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I can't remember when I last had an actual problem that I could not solve myself.
    However if the question was where do I mostly learn new things? the most common answer for me would be somewhere on line.
    Just about everything "New" ends up on line, with in short order.
    Magazines and books by their nature mostly deal with these things second hand and very selectively.
    So can rarely keep right up to date with things themselves. Clubs, friends and acquaintances are unlikely to keep up to date any better than I do nor have identical interests.

There is no doubt at all, that the web is both the best source of information and of a profusion of misinformation.

Wheelu likes this.
  6. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Yes, online would be my answer too.

Not a member of a camera club, and even the manuals are accessed via the Internet these days. Forums are useful, as are (some) instructional videos. In the past I have learned from books and magazines, but, a sign of the times, one of our local city libraries has closed its reference section. I guess they still have the books, but they are all just part of the non fiction section.

My most recent search for info was on how to copy and invert a layer mask in PS, and, as usual, the web delivered.

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

This one's easy - I throw myself to the mercy of the AP forum hive-mind! ;)

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I ask Google :)

9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I've occasionally had a search on You Tube.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The wife. She soon makes me realise that photography is NOT a problem.......

Petrochemist likes this.