1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll – Would you buy a full-frame DSLR like the Pentax K-1?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

This week's question is: Would you buy a full-frame DSLR like the Pentax K-1? Cast your vote today.

[​IMG]

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yet again I can't really answer, I said "Yes but I would buy a Canon or a Nikon instead"
    The truth is that I already have two D3 bodies so the correct answer is "I already have a full-frame DSLR"

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What Geoff said.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Possibly but it'd more likely be a Canon or Nikon since I have more lenses for those...;)

5. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I said "Yes but I would buy a Canon or a Nikon instead". Like other responders, I already have one, in my case a Nikon D800.

Chris

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Same here , the options missing again for my answer .

I already have a full frame camera , mines a Sony a900 .
    My next one will be either a Sony a99 or a Sony a99ii , if it ever appears !

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Options are yet again are missing a for me to answer.
    I already have a full frame dSLR and if I replace it it wouldn’t be with a Canon or a Nikon or a Pentax.

8. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

It's a yes for me. Maybe next week.

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I voted that I was happy with what I had got but if it had been available when I was considering what came after Oly DSLRs it would have been a strong contender. I fancy that there are a considerable number of punters who are using crop sensor cameras and fancy FF - if they have only APSC lenses there will be no tie their current make.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No idea what "like the Pentax" means. I didn't move from film to digital until the 5D came along and have used Canon since. Not answered the poll.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'll take a Sony A7Sii instead, it's better suited to my needs. If I had the resources for multiple x-hundred mm lenses then I'd take a Nikon DSLR and the sherpa to cart it all around. But I don't, and I'm not shooting wildlife anyway.

GeoffR likes this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Where do I find the Sherpa? May be next week's question could be " do you leave items at home to reduce weight when travelling?"

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I feel I should add, that if I really needed a DSLR (and I don't) then the K-1 is the nicest I've tried to date. I get on well with Pentax cameras.

14. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I own a FF camera but hardly use it, it, as, in particular, the lenses, are bulky and heavy. I much prefer using my lightweight mirrorless.

There is the advantage of a shallow depth of field , but also the disadvantage of a shallow depth of field.

Sensor quality is now so good that, for all practical amateur purposes, and most professional, you don't need FF.

I have a soft spot for Pentax, as I used their film cameras most of my life, while I now use some of their compact lenses on my Sony mirrorless camera.

15. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Seems an odd question. Why single out Pentax? What is "like a Pentax"?

For me as for many people, "legacy" lenses meant sticking to the system I already had. I'm just about to go and shoot some close-up shots with my Df and (as soon as I can find it) my 90-180 Vivitar Series 1 Flat Field, bought new decades ago.

Cheers,

R.

16. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I think that only applies to Canon users. I usually carry My FF Nikon D800 with a 24-70mm f/2.8 mounted, to cover most of my shots, and APS-C ultra-wide and telephoto zooms and a macro in my bag, for versatility without adding too much weight (although in summer I often take my FF 105mm macro instead of the 85mm APS-C, hoping for butterflies, etc). I believe Pentax, and Sony mirrorless, full frame cameras are also set up to accept APS-C lenses, recognize them and automatically crop the image (unless you choose to override the crop).

If Pentax had offered a FF DSLR not too much heavier or more expensive than the K-1 when I switched from my manual focus film outfit based on a Pentax Super A, I would probably have bought it. As it was, although my lenses would have fitted on a Pentax APS-C DSLR body, most of them wouldn’t have been much use.

Chris