1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll – Which photography magazines do you read?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

Take part in our latest poll - which photography magazines do you read?

[​IMG]

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind that the last three photo mags I read regularly stopped publication, what's it worth for me not to choose AP? :cool:

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Just AP for me...although I find that the knowledge shared by forum membership is usually as useful as a good photographic magazine.

Cheers, Jeff

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No longer read any photo mags.

Trannifan, Zou and spangler like this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Very few, any more -- because there aren't very many left! Of those that are left, fewer and fewer are any good. The only ones I get regularly are AP and Shutterbug.

Everyone wants everything for free on the internet, without stopping to think that there is no real reason why technical expertise and the ability to read and write should be free.

Cheers,

R.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

another odd poll. I subscribe to AP but sometimes read outdoor photography.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Bad multiple choice again.
    Why not just ask us what we subscribe to, occasionally buy, or read for free elswhere?
    Yes I know. Some people might buy every issue individually. That's daft; its cheaper to subscribe than buy every issue individually. Never the less I did that with Radio Times for years.

I subscribe to AP and BJP. I sometimes see PP but am not impressed. I often wonder why I subscribe to BJP. It is really too challenging for me, I just don't see the point of so many issues. At its best it occasioally beats all, including AP. It's nicely printed on multiple papers and often provides a coffee table magazine to shock visitors.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I that case I hope that you do not use an adblocker on this website. In a way, perhaps unjustifiabley, I feel that because I pay my sub to the mag its fair to use an adblocker.

GeoffR and Roger Hicks like this.
  9. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

I voted for "other" without being sure whether that meant another magazine or several magazines, the latter being the case for me.

I subscribe to AP and have done for almost twenty years. Of the monthlies I subscribe to Practical Photography and also, at the moment, Digital Camera as a subscription for that was set up when Photography Monthly went belly up after I'd subscribed to that. I've since renewed the Digital Camera subs once, but I'm undecided if I will again.

Practical Photography, on the other hand, is currently on good form. The free video discs are usually interesting: rather than just Photoshop or Lightroom walkthroughs they show cameras actually being used. There are also some good feature articles, the last issue having a particularly good story about a chap who was doing what we now call street photography around Peterborough forty years ago and has miraculously tracked down most of the strangers involved and recreated the shots.

Other than that I really enjoy the relatively new mag Professional Photography. It's ever so slightly larger than the A4-ish format of the other monthlies and uses thicker paper, which means the pictures somehow jump off the page more, as they would in a book rather than a magazine. But having started as a monthly, it went bi-monthly around the end of last year and now I've just read it's going quarterly and will no longer be available on subscription. I'd like to be proved wrong but I reckon its days look numbered.

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Only AP, and that's just to help keep Roger in wine and cheese :)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I no longer regularly read any photography magazines. I can't justify the expense while I'm still a student and my husband still has no job. Every now and then, if there looks to be something of interest I will find it in me to justify buying the BJP magazine but all that good quality paper carries a hefty price tag so it really is a rare treat. I hope to be able to resubscribe to AP once things are looking up.

Zou likes this.
  12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

AP as and when it looks interesting - and that's assuming I can find it which is becoming an increasingly rare event these days...:mad:

13. Paul Manuell

Paul Manuell New Member

Subscribed to Amateur Photographer, buy Practical Photography regularly, stand up and glance through the rest in Tesco's magazine aisle.

14. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

AP is my choice of mags these days although I did buy a sub. for a Nikon mag at the photo show who where offering a free bag which looked good....AP were offering a bag too but there was nothing on their stand on the Monday that I went and not even a mention of it, some magazines are full of foreign named photographers and the pictures that have all been tampered with that much that I might as well buy a comic....

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I don't read them I just look at the pictures....:rolleyes:

Zou likes this.
  16. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

To be honest... none.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I bought any magazine or newspaper. Actually it's now come back to me - August last year, Asahi Kamera. But before that...? Just can't justify the expense, especially as so little content is useful to me.