1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police stop photographer and seize films

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Might have to!

2. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Quite some while ago I had correspondence with GCW about AP, RPS, PAGB .... etc - as a consortium - looking at producing a Photographers Charter (rather like the Countryside Code, etc) and publicising it. The aim being not only to provide photographers with clear guidance on their responsibilities and the law (etc), but to use it as a means to educate and inform a wider public and the 'authorities' about the value and legitimacy of amateur photography as a hobby.

I was informed that there were planned meetings between various bodies, including the Police and/or Home Office .... then silence.

Since then there have been more incidents, and lots of grinding of teeth, but no action. Surely it really is time that this issue is given more attention? Photographic societies and associations - apart from BIPP and other professional bodies I gather - seem to be burying their heads in a very dark place on these issues when they should really be providing some leadership on photographers rights. AP could play more positive role here too, in my opinion ....

.T.

3. Mike_Alexander

Mike_Alexander New Member

This incident and incidents of this type will just increase, I'm afraid. They are part and parcel of the authoritarian police state that this country has become. An earlier poster was suggesting that a mass photo shoot would make the government clarify the laws. Hands up anyone who doesn't think that this will mean that this Stalinist government will just pass a law banning photography in a public place without the permission of the Police? The only way these days to have the freedom to photograph is to either go on very long holidays or migrate to a civilised, democratic country. :mad:

4. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

5. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

That paper is really quite old now and could do with re-writing with more specific guidance in the areas of security related to terrorism and the data protection act.

6. Mark101

You should not photograph a building or designated area as indicated by the home office or military establishments as designated.

The law has not really changed much at all , only idiot police officer attitudes have changed.

7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Mike_Alexander and I reckon that P.O's and C.P.O's have been acting under orders to stop and question photographers. The whole justice system will change in this country in the next few years. Innocent until proven guilty,well it wont be too far in the future IMO that it will be the other way round.
    Call me a raving loony if you want but I think we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg. :(

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK...

9. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Already is when it comes to dealing with Social Services in the Family Division of the courts... :(

10. pjbear1

pjbear1 Active Member

I live in a University City, Bristol in fact, there's always art/Media studies students wandering around photographing street scenes, buildings etc. Taking up their assignments. Would be interesting to know if anyone has been stopped or had their camera equipment confiscated for these heinous acts of capturing life on the move?

May not be strikingly obvious, but power stations photographed spewing out steam and exhaust often find their way into photographs and published in magazine portfolios. In the present climate, could that now be viewed as sensitive material exposed I wonder?

When it comes to candid street work, could it be more a feeling of intrusion within that invisible picket fence of personal space that we all have. Somebody with an eye too close for comfort? I personally don't think it's a matter of it being offensive having one's picture taken in public, it's perhaps a matter of exactly why it's being taken for some people.

Big brother huh! Nah, it doesn't exist...does it? Nor does paranoia!

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

The point may not be strikingly obvious but the power stations most certainly are.

Another point - the charts published (and kept very much up to date) for the purposes of commercial and private aviation are peppered with exclusion zones around sensitive sites. Whilst some of these are e.g. wildlife sanctuaries, others are most definitely related to military and civilian installations of critical importance.

There's an inherent contradiction here - surely publishing such a chart is a giveaway that there may be something worth hiding from the terrorists?

12. tincup

tincup Well-Known Member

Its time to march on Westminster I think.

13. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Best set off soon before they run out of mince pies.

14. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

That makes four ;)

15. Mark101

There is no law against photgraphing a power station. Furhtermore stock photos exist of just about every major building in the UK I should imagine, when you add this to the power of google earth it make the terrorist photographic so called threat seem very lame indeed.

The fact remains there is hardly anything in the UK you can't take a photograph off legally. The only thing to stop you is misinterpretation of the law.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You might actually be surprised at how much has been removed from Google Earth at the behest of various governments... and fair enough, IMHO.

17. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Count me in. It's time for direct action, it's time for civil obedience :rolleyes:

18. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

We might need that bus after all :D

19. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

A lot of the post codes are way off (in Tom Tom), bit of a pain if you are a contractor. In the past I have been given post codes for the 'building opposite' as a way of finding sites.

20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Eh? If you can see it from an overflying aircraft (operating outside exclusion zones) - or a surveillance satellite - why shouldn't you publish photographic evidence of its existence?

If you want to hide something from surveillance flights, build it underground.