1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Review My Website

Discussion in 'Personal Portfolio Sites' started by SMS Photography UK, Feb 22, 2019.

1. SMS Photography UK

SMS Photography UK New Member

Hello everyone

I have recently been building my website to showcase my photography. I'm not a professional but i enjoy what i do and others seem to appreciate my work.

Now my website is not finished but feedback would be greatly appreciated, good or bad.

www.smsphotographyuk.com

Thank you

2. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

You have some good pictures but you need to curate yourself (which is really tough) to only have your very best pictures on there. Also, try to think about the progression of pictures in each gallery as you can create a 'story' by carefully choosing the order that you present the pictures in. (For example, start wide and then move in closer when covering a location).

The navigation feels 'jumpy' and wasn't especially obvious - that could be a feature of WIX but maybe a simpler theme would load more smoothly.

Andy

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The front page looks cluttered. The superposed flower doesn't really work for me, it just gets in the way. Also the page width did not resize to my browser (Safari, mac) window so the left and right hand sides are clipped. I'd choose a better selfie if promoting a business, the lighting has everything wrong with it!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Seconded. There is very little evidence of a theme anywhere. Good pics (mostly) but it's wearing to try to see them.

Cheers,

R.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I liked the bit about the fort that was built at great expense but in the wrong place. Nothing changes

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I agree the front is very cluttered, but otherwise functions nicely. It is hard to really appraise the site without getting into the photography, which you didn't ask about.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'll be brutally honest (and maybe easier said than done as I have never made a website) but it looks really amateur, almost like websites used to look years ago. The background doesn't make for comfortable viewing. If i came across that site I would probably click passed it TBH. Sorry for not being that positive.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Change that awful background to something neutral (and darker?) and without any annoying patterns.
    There is a reason why art galleries usually don't hang pictures on walls with distracting wallpaper.
    Perhaps a little more space around the images too (see art gallery comment).

Good Luck.

9. SMS Photography UK

Hi everyone

Wow, what a great response. I have taken on board all that you have said and I appreciate the honesty, even if it is a bit brutal at times.
    I have not invested as much time and effort into the site as I work full time and the site is not aimed at generating business. Saying that, I am keen to change the areas mentioned. Especially the hated background.

Thank you everyone

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. SMS Photography UK

Well thank you to everyone for your comments regarding my website. I have made some tweaks and I feel a lot happier about how it looks overall. I still have to curate myself and make the albums flow more smoothly but that’s to come soon.

So, can you please let me know what you think of it now? www.smsphotographyuk.com

Thank you

11. TheAlex

TheAlex Well-Known Member

I didn't see the previous version, but although the current version is easy enough to browse, the template still looks dated.

I haven't used Wix, so don't know how easy it is to get the look, but there are lots of professional-looking templates:
    https://www.wix.com/website/templates/html/photography
    https://www.wix.com/blog/photography/2018/10/29/free-photography-website-templates/

Good job for getting your work and a website online anyway. Now it's there it's something you can tweak when you have the time. :)