1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plant ID please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Jul 29, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Or probably weed ID.

Anyone know what this is please? It hasn't appeared in the garden before. We put wildflower and wild grass seed down year before last and in this area but it hasn't appeared until this year.

plant1.jpg

plant2.jpg

plant3.jpg

plant4.jpg

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Looks like hogweed to me .
    Not something you'd want in your garden .
    If it's giant hogweed the sap can cause burns on your skin .

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It's definitely an umbellifer - it could be angelica. How big is it? If it's huge, it's angelica! It'll sprout everywhere if you let it seed, mind you.

It's not giant hogweed or hemlock, that I'm sure of - the leaves are not finely divided enough for either.

Adrian

4. dream_police

So far it is 1.5 m tall and the stalks are quite purple. I do hope it isn't hogweed. The bits that are about to unfurl from the top do look like hogweed flowers though, although it's leaves certainly don't.

5. dream_police

In fact, I've just looked at the website that supplied the grass/seed mix. Included in our mix is wild Angelica. Thanks folks.

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Quite right , leaves are definitely much finer divided on the hogweed .
    Just had another look .:rolleyes:

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Much better than a hogweed !

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Angelica...but not wild angelica.

Graeme

9. dream_police

What is the difference?

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

One is a bit annoyed?

S

AndyTake2 and dream_police like this.
  11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

That plant is on steroids!
    The height. the number of leaves/nodes on the main stem the huge swollen bract, the way the leaves are developing. The coloured blotching on the stem....

12. dream_police

So its a triffid then?

Catriona likes this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Now you come to mention it...

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Just don't look at any fireworks tonight....

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nige, Please photograph it in the next day or two as the head develops. Don't assume that it is edible. It doesn't look like common hemlock but might be rather more closely related to that plant than is healthy. The stem looks a bit blotchy. Is the stem round, square or triangular, and is it hollow. If you only have one stem then I suggest that you do not cut it yet.

If it is a native plant then it is not a weed in that wild looking part of your garden. It looks like a plant in the right place!

17. dream_police

I have absolutely no intention of eating it. I'll take a look tomorrow re the stem etc. Having read the link from Kate, I see that one can get a similar reaction to the sap as you can from hogweed.

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's true of most of the umbellifers, though. "Strimmer rash" from cutting cow parsley on vaerges is a known thing, and even the myriad culinary ones can cause it if you get sun on a sap splash. Giant hogweed is just nastier than most.

Adrian

19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Well that's something I've learned.
    I thought it was a bloody big hemlock with all the purple splodges - I saw some of them, huge great monstrosities in Scotland last year (near Jedburgh).
    Didn't want to turn my back on one in case it decided to grab me:D

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

If it is angelica I recall candied angelica was a common cake decoration when I was a kid