1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places near West London/Slough

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Abigail Levers, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Abigail Levers

Abigail Levers New Member

I recently moved for the edge of the Peak District to West London for work, and cant seem to figure out any good places to go that are within a reasonable drive from my home in Chiswick, I'm willing to travel about an hour each way, and would love to find some dramatic landscapes, rolling hills, reservoirs, or tors. Any suggestions would be amazing, as I'm beginning to go a bit stir crazy living in London!

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Can't imagine you'll find any of those without driving a lot more than an hour. On the other hand, South West London is stuffed full of photo opportunities with Chiswick House on your doorstep for a starter. There's the Thames and Kew Gardens and heaven knows how many other fascinating places within walking distance of Chiswick.

3. Abigail Levers

Abigail Levers New Member

There are some lovely places in Chiswick, but I hate being in the city and just want to get out to somewhere that feels isolated really!!

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, there's Runnymede, and the Kennedy Memorial.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

believe it or not but Slough has the most extraordinary bus station that is worth a visit, but it may be difficult to get the best sight lines

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

On a rather more on topic note it will be difficult to match the hard limestone of the Peaks with anything near you (or me) as we are dominated by the much softer chalk. However there is still plenty to see and if you are prepared to stretch your hour to 66 minutes start with the White Horse in Uffington There are also closer bits of the ridgeway

Journey time courtesy of the AA

7. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

For rolling hills - North Downs/Surrey Hills: Poleden Lacy, Box Hill, Leith Hill, Ranmore Common ie around Dorking/Leatherhead... or Chilterns which can combine with Hughenden, West Wycombe Park and several other NT places, see NT website. All worth visiting.
    London area reservoirs are mostly artificial with embankments, and jobsworths prevent people from walking round many of them except Staines Reservoirs which has a FP across central causeway. If you want natural reservoirs you need to go deep into Kent/Sussex, but some gravel pits in the Wraysbury area look natural and there are others. Look for big blue bits on maps.