1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pin Mill

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Smartiepants, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Smartiepants

Smartiepants Well-Known Member

I have cloned out a few distracting boats in the background but do I go the whole hog and take out the trees to blend the sky & water
    [​IMG]
    PIN MILL-5
    by Martin Grindley, on Flickr
    and more importantly how would one go about that, I use lightroom & have photoshop but have very little experience with it

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    sappymike12, Dan S and Charlotte Moon like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I shouldn't think so. The context is a river/estuary and the other bank is to be expected. Usually when you take something out it is to be replaced by something that can "fill" the gap with credible content. I don't see anything here that would give you a sky-sea transition based on part of the scene. Of course, if you are a graphic artist and able to paint a solution ... then many a happy hour awaits.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No not at all. If you went down there another time and fog was hiding the far bank that would be another kind of pic.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I was thinking the only way to get the shot without the boats would be to shoot in fog, or at night with careful lighting of the wrecks. Given the trek from the nearest vehicular access I wouldn't want to try either!.

5. Charlotte Moon

Charlotte Moon Well-Known Member

Wonderful shot, and I like it how it is too. I'm pretty sure I have seen a photo taken here with what you are describing, with the bank background removed and a blended misty sky/water kind of look. Yes it does look pretty nice, but in my honest opinion this tells a story of where it could be and what is going on around it, the fact that the boats and eroding and stuck where the rest of the world moves on around them.

I was down there week before last for the first time shooting this. Really should have taken some wellies instead of my hikers though as I was not expecting how damp should we say it was from the bottom of the trail over the break waters. I was there for low tide so unfortunately I couldn't get the long exposure of the water but my footing was a bit better on the sand.
    Such a wonderful location

6. Smartiepants

Smartiepants Well-Known Member

yep wellies are a must if you want shots at high tide, it was my first visit & I missed it by about an hour, I was around by the jetty at high tide waiting for it to get shallower, but your right its a great location and I will visit again

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think you need to soften the contrast in the line between the trees and the sky, you've got the contrast-halo thing going on which is a personal pet peeve of mine.