1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pin Mill

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Smartiepants, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Smartiepants

Smartiepants Well-Known Member

2. Smartiepants

sappymike12 likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Lovely stuff and I hate milky sea. Love the anchor especially.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I couldn't work out why the first of these looked 'wrong', so I downloaded it and experimented (I won't keep it).
    Rotating it half a degree anticlockwise made a surprising difference, even when viewed this size.

5. Smartiepants

Thank you, I have updated the Flickr copy
    [​IMG]
    PIN MILL-5
    by Martin Grindley, on Flickr

6. RovingMike

Love the first, but just concerned that with the light catching them, those b/g yachts might be too much clutter. So I wielded the simplification tool to see:

[​IMG]

Smartiepants and dream_police like this.
  7. Smartiepants

that's a lot better, I will have to learn how to do that so I can try it with the black and white one

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The horizon on the concrete blocks has a bit of a bulge as well (too much time spent on here makes you see these things...) - hardly shows at this size but I suspect if you put it on a wall it might irk.

Good use of that filter.

Adrian

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Very nice, I like them a lot

10. Smartiepants

again, I wouldn't know where to start with "correcting" that one

11. Smartiepants

RovingMike likes this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In Exhibition you shouldn't get comments that imply you need to correct anything!

13. Smartiepants

thanks, I think I can live with a bit of constructive advice on these ones, if I have any questions I'll pop it in the appropriate thread

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Oh bugger, completely missed that it was in Exhibition, not Appraisal. Sorry!

I'm sure if you put one in Appraisal, someone will tell you how (possibly spftware allowing).

Adrian

RovingMike likes this.
  15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Nice stuff. How did you find the NISI filters? I've been considering getting a set myself.

16. Smartiepants

there really nice, great quality and well packaged, I have no other filters to compare to be honest but the proof is in the photos I guess,
    I got the M75 base kit with landscape polarizer, then on top of that a 3 stop soft grad, 6 stop & 15 stop ND, there not cheap but are quality

beatnik69 likes this.
  17. RovingMike

Whoops sorry, I thought it was Appraisals. My bad. :(

18. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

It was a constructive criticism, and I appreciate that you agree. Has anybody viewing on the Flickr website made a similar comment?

If you plan to get a print made, it's always worth checking the 'horizon' carefully. I use an old copy of Photoshop Elements which lets me superimpose a fine grid of horizontal and vertical lines on the image as a guide. However careful I have been, with wide angle shots I often need a 0.3 or 0.4 degree of rotation before printing. The larger the print you get the more any 'slope' will show, and it's sometimes surprising how 'wrong' even a very slight 'slope' can look.

The sky and its reflections look great: now that the horizon has been adjusted, have you considered a large print for your wall? I would start thinking about 60 x 40 cm, or larger if you have the room.

Smartiepants likes this.
  19. Smartiepants

Nobody on flickr, I don't get a vast amount of comments, if I get likes into double figures it's a miracle

20. Smartiepants

Any better, tried it in photoshop
    [​IMG]
    FELIXSTOWE-2
    by Martin Grindley, on Flickr