1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture this, would you, wouldn't you

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Draig, May 26, 2011.

1. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

The other night the topic of pics that you went out to specifically get but for reasons outside your control, were not what you wanted came up. We were having a natter about various woes.

This then led me to the point of competition pictures. Now I know there's a few members who enter all types of competitions but what would you do if, like me, you went to a place to get a picture and it was spoiled by something else intruding?

A good example is shown on this picture where the tower was crowned with a rooffull of scaffolding as they were experimenting with different waterproofing techniques.

Would you, having taken a picture apart from the scaffolding, still enter it into a competition?

Now I'm not saying my pic is a great pic, it's there for an example, but this is something that I raised at our club social evening to get the members chatting and opinion was highly divided!

So, what would you do?

[​IMG]

2. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Clone out the scaffolding?

3. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

That's not an option - :D

it's an either or option as a lot of the club members do not have the skills to clone - but thanks for the input. (When I get time I may well have a go at getting rid of the scaffolding to see what it's like).

4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I suppose it could be said that while it diminishes the view it doesn't necessarily diminish the photograph but I think it would be miles better without the scaffolding.

Worth a return trip if that's possible when the scaffolding is removed.

5. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

It would depend on whether it still met the brief, and whether I thought the judge would mark it down because of it.

As a straight landscape shot, probably not. Most landscape judges I've encountered complain about pylons and other modern (usually metal) things getting caught in the scene, and I think would be of the opinion that the shot was ruined by the scaffolding.

Personally, I'd probably try and make more of a feature of it. Not entirely sure how, but if it's there and I can't get rid of it, I may as well try and make people like it being there.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Happens to me all the time. I think news of any airline ticket I buy gets recieved in the destination city and they immediately get scaffolding up around anything worth shooting. If not that, then they have white vans arranged to park in front or a giant crane behind.
    No point in shooting it. Why bother? Who wants it?
    I can do you the Sagrada Familia, Spanish Steps, Sacre Coeur, Budapest parliament, Karloff bridge and many more all with added scaffolding. :(

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Personally I find scaffolding intriguing - it's the way simple modular units can be made to fit around almost anything - but I'd normally only photograph it if I was making a point, say a documentary photo about rebuilding something, or to try an abstract of the repeating units (none of which have ever worked for me...).

Actually - having said that, I did recently take a view of a church covered in scaffolding because I'm doing "then and now" pairs with old postcards. There's enough foliage in the way now (oh boy, has the number of trees increased since the 1920s!) that I was quite limited as to when I could see the building, so I took it anyway despite the builders working on the roof. With the date, in 100 years it'll be interesting in itself!

Adrian

8. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough - the view was split 50-50 in a straw poll. Obviously it would be the judges decision but there again - he should be a photographer too lol.

oh well - interesting discussion point though.

9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I would make the scaffold the feature, how often can you find that, a remote looking scene with scaffold in it. My wife always ask me why I want pictures of scaffold but to me its like taking pictures in autumn the leaves wont be there for long nor will that scaffold. What you have is an historic document.

10. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

Enter it with the scaffolding, it adds to the image.

11. tamphotography

tamphotography Well-Known Member

photographs tell stories, the scaffolding tells more story than the rest :)

12. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

If you'd have moved in closer and got the name of the scaffolding company (presumably on a board?) then you might have sold a pic. to them for their publicity.....Otherwise I wouldn't bother, as a landscape picture it doesn't work, go back when the work's completed.

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Two(2) subjects/competition entry's: the scaffolding (macro, ultrawide, tele)
    the building (exterior)
    the building (interior)
    the everthing (the shot you posted)

Whoops, make that a bunch of subjects/competition entry's ;)

Cheers,

Jack

14. Shaun1970

Shaun1970 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think cloning, adding removing items etc is cheating when it comes to competitions. A photographic competition should be exactly that! A competition about how good you are as a photographer, NOT for people to say "Oh well, I took this and there's several parts I don't like......I know, I'll delete them".

15. joshjess

joshjess Member

I agree with Shaun1970, however it would be tempting to ask a friend who is picture editior for a national newpaper to edit the image. lol