1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture control settings

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Mikardo88, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Mikardo88

Mikardo88 Active Member

I've recently been experimenting with the picture control settings on my cameras. I like the look of vivid with a few altered settings in the menu for my portrait shots.

Anyone else use these settings or do you just leave your picture control in standard mode?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not so much these days. I always save the files in raw format. When I routinely processed in Canon software I used to quickly run through the picture styles to see the effect. These days I use Lightroom and I tend to stick to the default development and rarely test the styles, mind you the option is not so conveniently placed in the edit panel.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes far better to sort out issues like that later. Enough to think about with exposure, DoF, speed, filters and the small issue of composition.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If shooting jpg (alongside raw) I often use a very high contrast black and white picture style. Comes in handy as it gives a 'target' to get the raw file towards, or I can use the jpg directly if ultimate quality isn't an issue. Example:

[​IMG]

Geren likes this.
  5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Because I always shoot in Raw (only), the picure control settings on my camera have no effect.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

As a rule I don't use them, because like others here I tend to shoot in RAW which means that the picture settings selected are only in evidence when viewing on the back of the camera with the card in place. As soon as I put the card onto the computer it only reads the RAW file which means none of those picture settings are applied. Unless I've chosen to also shoot a jpeg file, in which case I have the picture settings applied to one file and not the other. This is most often useful as Zou has pointed out, if you know in advance that you're going to be processing a black and white file as it gives you a reference point.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

With Canon the supplied DPP program will apply the camera settings by default. Other raw processors will not.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Most of the time my cameras are in RAW mode so the picture styles don't apply (I mostly process in Adobes Camera Raw which ignores them). That said I tend to set the style to either Neutral or Faithful which means that if I do happen to use JPG they won't look like some kind of overcooked postcard. The only other one I sometimes use on Monochrome for when I'm out and trying to look for mono images though I leave the camera in RAW - the downside is that on occasion I've forgotten to change it back and unintentionally shot some JPG's in mono...:rolleyes:

9. dan marchant

dan marchant Active Member

Shoot RAW, don't use picture styles.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Shoot whatever way you want, use whatever picture styles you want and above all ignore silly advice from the internet.