1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picasa download, is this safe please?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Louise, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I have this on my PC and I know it's no longer supported. I have tried Google photo's but I can't really get on with it like I could with Picasa.

I've found this link

https://windows10portal.com/download-picasa/

Can you tell me if this is worth downloading, or should I leave it alone?

Many thanks.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I would leave it alone. I wouldn't trust any sources of Picasa any more.

3. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

"I would leave it alone. I wouldn't trust any sources of Picasa any more."

Please explain why Tony.I use Picasa only for Google Photos Screensaver,linked to a photo file on the pc.Screensaver used to be stand alone but now in the tools tab of Picasa.

4. EightBitTony

Google have dropped support for Picasa and no longer offer any official download links. In the absence of official links, I wouldn't trust any source of Picasa for downloads going forward.

Already installed instances are fine, but downloading a fresh copy from a non-official source is not something I would advocate.

5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony I wasn`t aware of that.

6. EightBitTony

https://picasa.google.com/

Moving on from Picasa
    We’ve decided to retire Picasa in order to focus on a single photo service in Google Photos – a new, smarter photo app that works seamlessly across mobile and the web.

Can I still use the desktop application?

For those who have already downloaded it, it will continue to work as it does today. But we will not be developing it further, and there will be no future updates.​

And the download link has gone.

I've got the original file I used to install Picasa v3.9 - but I don't know if it's the full install or if the installer goes away and pulls down files from somewhere else (and so will now fail).

7. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. I use Elements 11, is there any plug ins I can use with that please? Also what programs are like Picassa?