1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photovests

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by jeallen01, Jul 16, 2002.

1. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Billingham, Tamrac & Domke photovests cost approx £80-£100 - which I could not justify.
    Bit of WWW digging showed that Millets sell something very similar = "Trek Gillet (unisex)" Product No: 0302761x for £33 (see http://www.millets.co.uk/cgi-bin/Millets.filereader?3d2bdfd600daca2c273fd43a3b400672 EN/products/0302761x) !
    Visited my local store, saw it,liked it, bought it and used it last weekend. Probably not as good as "the real thing" but very adequate for my needs and for those of many others I think. See what you think

2. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

If you think I am typing that lot in you have got another think coming/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif
    It isn't an advert by any chance is it?/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

I prefer a good old string vest anyway - I've got a pattern if anyone wants to knit one/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

<font color=red>If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough! Robert Capa.</font color=red>

3. jeallen01

No - it is not an advert, I have absolutely no connection with Millets apart from being a satisfied customer. Just because you can knit (surely you have better things to do with your time - like take photos ) does'nt mean you have to be derogatory about others!
    In fact I was wrong about the URL - it is the right one for the page but does not actually work as a command line instruction.
    Go the Millets site http://www.millets.co.uk, and then follow the links to "Travel", then "Travel Clothing" and you will find it on the first displayed page - if you are not too lazy to follow a few simple instructions (which it sounds as if you might well be)!

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Get a life pal, it was a JOKE, ok. You know, laugh, mouth turns up at the corners etc!!!!!!! Oh forget it, hope your vest keeps you nice and warm in winter!

BigWill

I look <font color=red>GOOD<font color=black> in wellies!

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Here's that sucker!! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    <center>[​IMG]</center>

I've seen these, but IMHO the pockets don't look that big - and I'd wanna stow my Leica lenses in 'em if I went for one of these. Sure would beat carting a heavy bag round.

Tim NRIPN

6. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Gets a bit retentive in here sometimes doesn't it?/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

<font color=red>If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough! Robert Capa.</font color=red>

7. BigWill

downright constipated Peter!

BigWill

8. Billericay

Billericay Well-Known Member

Jeff (a guess)
    even if this wasn't an advert, it's worded exactly like one, and with no introduction from you, no concept you're talking to human beings. We're pretty sensitive to being used for advertising here, and wouldn't mind someone new actually introducing themselves to put us at ease. Generally, the response is effusive!
    We all put our feet in our mouths at times (as I think you did in your second post) - if you're genuine, just say hello and tell us what brought you here, your interests in photography etc (not easy to tell, as you haven't filled in your bio). Just as you've tried to be helpful, there are a lot of people here who at times could be helpful to you, so it's worth (at least temporarily) pulling your foot out your mouth and saying hello!
    Richard.

9. BigWill

Well said Richard, so whaddya say stranger?

BigWill

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Sounds as if our new 'friend ' might be a trifle touchy. However the vest thing he was on about is good value for money. I have one and the larger of the many pockets actually takes a bottle of Gordons. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif It also has six little pockets which each exactly takes a 12 bore cartridge.....or a roll of 120 film.

Slimey NRIPN

i never think when i write
    nobody can do two things at the same time

11. BigWill

...so you can either "shoot" metaphorically or literally! I'd go for the Bushmills photo vest myself, the pockets in it are all half cut, just like the owner!

BigWill

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Seeing these things always makes me think....

*slips on David Attenborough Mask*

Here deep in the heart of hertfordshire we see the "phototorus lotsa", a strange breed of creature usual found carrying odd shaped devices with small red badges!

/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Fen.

- Photo A Week: 2002 -

13. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

ROTFLOL /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Tim NRIPN

14. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Hey Tim,

Isn't Fen going on about you?/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Fen/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

15. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

Think I did better at the local Dungaree, Wellie Boot and Balaclava emporium. £11 ? ish - it was a while ago. It's handy to have all the bits and pieces in the same place whatever the weather - meter to the right , filters to the left etc. etc. and it makes it harder to lose things by setting them down on the third rock from the left. Note to manufacturers - they're all too short - I have to imitate the chimpanzee to get at the side pockets of all that I've tried - make one that fits and I might spend a few bob more.

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Jeallen,

If you only spent 33 quid on your vest, then, unfortunately, your pictures
    are not going to turn out as well. It is a little known fact that the more
    money you spend on your vest the better you become in the area of photography.

/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.

17. Done_rundleCams

Re: Photovests/jjeallen01

Jeallen01,

Hey Dude, Like Chill because like we're all your friends here.

And, if it's like OK, I will apologise now for my first post which
    is just below your first post.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

starting to seduce me.

18. Done_rundleCams

"Gets a bit retentive in here sometimes doesn't it?"

Peter,

Having you tried cruising through DPReview on occasion, retentive, it gets
    downright constipated./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

starting to seduce me.

19. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

Did you see Will in they buying up the Wellies?

20. jeallen01

Re: Photovests/jjeallen01

Ok

Apology Accepted - and no, I am not particularly uptight/anal retentive (et als) - but just remember how you might feel when you try to be helpful to others and the first thing you get is sarcastic flak. As someone else pointed out, I am new around here and it does not make for a very welcoming feeling to start with something like that.

PS: not new to photography - have been taking pretty poor photos on & off since the 50's & 60's!