1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photokina: Do you have any burning questions for camera makers?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Sep 16, 2016.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

AP is about to head off to the Photokina show in Cologne Germany, where we will be meeting key representatives from all the major camera companies. If you have a question you'd like us to ask, please jot it down here and we'll do our best to get a response.
    Thanks,
    Chris Cheesman, AP news editor

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There is little point in asking Nikon about anything if one wants an answer. However asking a question also has the effect of suggesting user concerns. So here goes.
    1. Since Nikon has at last produced the D500 can we expect some more suitable lenses for it? A reworking of the old 70-300 FX might be a good candidate.
    2. Nikon has come in for some flack about Snapbridge. It now seems that Canon have now got their own version of Snapbridge on their new 'mirrorless'. What are Nikon going to do about Snapbridge to compete with Canon on reliability of connection and functionality?
    I have no idea how one should frame the questions without seeming unpolite. Diplomacy is not my strong point. I don't suppose that the John Humphrys' approach would go down very well.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Here's a question for all the manufacturers: How about automatic hyperfocal focusing, for the selected focal length and aperture? With perhaps a configuration option to select the desired circle of confusion, and some display of the minimum distance of "sharp" focus.

4. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

A question for Nikon: What's the future for the 1 series, and will there be any CSC's based on DX or FX sensors?

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Another who'd like to know Nikon's commitment to the 1 series - do I "invest" any more in it or revert to micro 4/3rds? Also with APS-C, there is now a huge gulf between the D7200 and D500 so any plans to fill it, or will the D500 price drop significantly in the near future?
    Why in the USA are D500 and D750 basically the same price so buyers at that price point have a choice between full frame and APS-C, yet in the UK the D500 is so much more expensive than the D750?
    When will touch screens find their way onto lower-end Nikon DSLR's?

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

This applies to any maker who still makes low end dSLR.

Do you feel the dSLR is coming to the end of its life? ie it is heading for niche product.

Its more than possible to build a fully electronic camera that will take legacy lenses.

Surely such cameras would be cheaper to produce. Plus the technical advantages of a fully electronic camera.

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Me Too - I bought a 1 J5 last year.
    Did I buy a complete white elephant?

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Ah, you bought the white version rather than the all black, or black with chrome top plate ;)

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Even at photokina. One year, when I was covering the show for Shutterbug magazine, I was reduced to pointing out, "Well, if you don't want to say anything, I can always say that Nikon probably had something new but couldn't be bothered to tell anyone about it, not even the second biggest magazine in the USA." A few minutes later I was talking to one of their senior people...

Cheers,

R.