1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHOTOKINA 2012: Any questions?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Sep 16, 2012.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

AP's news and technical teams are off to the Photokina show which opens this week. Tomorrow is 'press day' and we are expecting a number of camera launches. If you have any questions you'd like us to put to manufacturers, please feel free to leave a comment here and we'll do our best to get some answers...

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

To Nikon:
    What's the plan for replacing older models such as the D90 and D300s?

To Olympus:
    What's happening with four-thirds models now that you seem to be concentrating on micro 4/3rds? Will you be introducing any models with flip-screens that are also touch-sensitive?

To Panasonic:
    Having put firmware locks onto third-party batteries, has this caused sales of your own spare battery packs to escalate and if so, what about reducing their prices?

To Fuji, what are your plans for four-thirds and micro 4/3rds? Are you planning any camera bodies? Any lenses?

To Sigma and Tamron:
    When will you be producing more lenses in micro 4/3rds fit, especially wide-angle and fisheye lenses?
    What about the increase in the number of full-frame cameras now available, are you looking at extending the range of full-frame lenses that you make?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well I have a question for Sony.

Given your nice new 20MP 2.7x crop sensor in the RX100 any chance of you making a highend bridge with a EVF with that sensor?

Second Sony question. Now you have tied up with Olympus do you see your company coming into the MFT market with a product?

Simple question for Nikon if they don't launch a D400 DX body. :rolleyes:

Have you abandon pro DX shooters?

Second for Nikon, are you going to fix the CF memory card issues on the D800. There seems to be some legacy support issues.

Nikon, do you regret launching the J2 now Sony have the 20MP 1" sensor?

Nikon, will you given the WWII overtones not name the new model of the 1 system V2? :D

Canon, any chance you will produce a EVF version of your new CSC EOS M?

Canon, will you be publishing a lens road map for the CSC system to encourage and give confidence to buyers?

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

To them all:-

Why are there so many leaks, so that most announcements are just confirmations of what we've seen on the various rumour sites? Or do you see them as valuable pre-release hype?

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Canon, will you bring back proper optical viewfinders to more of your compact cameras, and also re-introduce PASM modes onto a vast majority of them too? Even the "basic" A510 I bought over 6 years ago had a full mode dial and optical viewfinder

6. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

As a previous posting mentioned are Sigma and Tamron ever going to release any wide angle lenses for m4/3? This seems to be a major failing with m4/3 the absence of an affordable superwide zoom of the likes of the Sigma 10-20 that I use with my Nikons. The Lumix 7-14 is far too expensive!

Andrew

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Another request for Nikon DSLR plans for DX.
    Also where do Nikon see need for new lenses.
    I know that they won't tell you; that's their way to deflect potential customers who they deem unsuitable to be out and about with a Nikon. Please ask anyway.
    I use a Nikon D300 which I bought new years ago. I see no incentive to spend anytime soon. No present DSLR (including the D600) meets my needs better than my D300, and also I am not going to buy more Nikkors while there is a possibility that I might transfer my allegiance.
    I don't want to be seen as overcritical of Nikon. The D300 is still a good camera and still works fine after been dragged through wet limestone caves, and elevated up mountains in conditions which certainly challenged my own wellfare. It has also been used to record the activities of our parkland volunteers and has been dumped on the winter ground more than a few times during the hedge laying season. Quite obviously I don't need a new camera, but like all boys, including OAP boys such as myself, I do like new toys. If I outlive the D300 ithen it would be nice to buy a new DX camera that is even better.
    Also to Nikon, any plans for an upmarket tough camera in the V series and some small prime lenses. Sony seem to be using a more advanced 1" sensor than Nikon's; that's not good enough. A V1 is just about small enough to fit in the pocket of my waxed jacket; I don't think that it would survive for long.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Is this one within your price range?

Roger

9. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me, yes it could well do the trick and it is a reasonable price. I'll take a look in SRS next time I'm in Watford.

Andrew

10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Is it really true the 3LT tripod company are showing a 300g head that can hold a 30kg load?

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I would like you to keep eyes and ears open for news of film and paper, especially black & white. Obviously, pole position Q1-wise is: have Kodak had any 'expressions of interest' in their Sensitized Products Division?

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Please ask Canon if their new 6D has AF-MA. Thanks.

13. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Again they won't tell you but when will the Sony a9 (the high resolution version) be out?

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Accoording to DPR, it does.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Maybe, but according to DPR, the difference between f1.8 & f3.4 is "nearly one stop." It is a useful source for info but never to be taken as gospel. Much like uncle Ken in fact. ;)

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well if it were in DPR forums, I wouldn't even have bothered mentioning it... ;)
    They seem quite sure in this case, as not only do they mention it, but say it's the same as the 5D Mk III version, can have different adjustment at each end of the zoom range, and can work by serial number for those with access to more than one copy of a lens. Yes, there's still some doubt given the source, but they are fairly clear on it. ;)

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That gem came from a product preview... By the way, they also seem confused about the GPS in (or not) the S110. Maybe they have fixed that now.

18. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

The Canon G15 replaces the G12.... Did I miss something? Go on, ask them what happened to the 13 (just superstitious?) and the 14.

John