1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography Weather App

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by forex, Feb 1, 2015.

1. forex

forex New Member

Hey guys,

Me and a group of fellow students are researching for a new app we're hoping to create as part of a uni project. We've been tasked with creating a weather app for a specific user group and we've chosen photographers - the idea is to create a an app that includes both a weather forecast and provides photography-related advice based on the current/future weather conditions. What do you guys think? Is it something you'd consider using? If so what kind of advice would you like it to include? I'd love to hear any feedback you have - positive or negative! If you've got a spare 60 seconds, filling in this survey would be a great help to us; https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TM8Y6QJ

Thanks in advance,
    Izzy

2. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use the app I'm afraid. I already use 'The Photographer's Ephemeris' and refer to weather forecasts.

What more could your app offer me?

3. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

To be honest you just look out the window.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The survey paints the app as something to give advice - not a weather report. An app that had good meteorological data, tides, sunset direction etc. could be useful for some. But as already mentioned, the PE app is the clear market leader, and forecasts will never (by definition) be accurate. If you want to develop something useful/better you may need to ask better questions.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Depends how far ahead you are trying to forecast. For the next few hours, raintoday.co.uk gives a good indication of rain area, direction and speed of movement of the rain clouds (for free)