1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography Shows and Exhibitions

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Catriona, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but if you can't free someone to go to any Photography Shows (non-commercial, just photographs), would it be a good idea to invite articles on them?

I'm sure there are plenty of photographers out there who actually go to Shows and Exhibitions/Galleries who could tell us about them and perhaps include links to the photographers involved, if not shots of the venues.

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

You may recall, Kate, that when the subject of visiting photography exhibitions was raised on the Forum a few months ago, a worryingly large proportion of respondents claimed never (or rarely) to visit them.

I say "worryingly", not because I think that you or I should dictate other folks' behaviour but, rather, because I suspect that many of the inhabitants of this forum genuinely do not appreciate that viewing a print on an exhibition wall reveals hugely more than looking at images on a computer monitor. I do worry that, in this day and age, many folk do believe that seeing images on a screen is what photography is about.

Eric

PS - That's not to say that I disagree with your suggestion.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

August is fast approaching and I am looking forward to the photo exhibitions in Edinburgh during my visit.

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Can you provide some objective evidence to support that assertion?

So far as I can tell, it's just another subjective opinion, which is fine and always welcome. My subjective opinion is that, as part of politeness, we should always identify our opinions as such and not seek to present them otherwise.

I feel that looking at pictures on a wall is fine but no better than seeing them in a magazine or on a screen.

5. Catriona

I can support Eric in this. I remember the thread (can't be a£rsed looking for it), but there was little enthusiasm on here, for going to Exhibitions or Galleries, from most posters.

Kate

PS May I say, since I opened the thread, that this was directed to AP staff, and perhaps a query in the magazine would bring forth some enthusiasts.

6. PhotoEcosse

SJ - You really are irascible.

If you cannot understand that, when I use words such as "I suspect that....." or, earlier in my post, "I think that.....", I am expressing an opinion rather than stating fact, then perhaps you should read contributions more carefully before jumping in.

What is fact, as Kate has confirmed, is the response of Forum members to the previous thread on the subject. What is opinion is the raft of reasons that I am disappointed by those facts.

Eric

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Kate,
    I sympathize, for years now I've turned to the broadsheets for reviews of exhibitions, or now and again the BJP. AP is about equipment and technique IMO and I can't see that changing much in the foreseeable future, its probably what the majority of their readers want.

Here's a couple of exhibitions on in Edinburgh at the minute, both were reviewed in The Times today and in the Guardian Or Observer a week of two back (I can't remember exactly) but I'd say it pays to frequent cafes which keep a good selection of daily papers :)

[​IMG]

I'll probably give Bailey a miss, Taylor Wessing's more my thing when it comes to protraits :rolleyes:

Alan

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  8. Catriona

You agent provocateur you!!
    I would probably do the same as you. having grown up with Bailey I find I've moved on and want new pastures to graze.
    I read about the Picasso and Lee Miller one. That I would go to see since it sounds as if it has strange undertones and I'd love to see the results to see if the compulsion shows through the works.
    Dear Taylor Wessing! I gave them a miss from my genius this year. Haha! It did get me some new portraits though and a couple of happy customers. :)

Kate
    PS Unfortunately my National newspapers don't arrive until the afternoon - and I find that's not the best time for me to wander Tesco or town just for that reason. So I look for things online and on Facebook and find out quite a lot there. I've been looking at L'oeil http://www.loeildelaphotographie.com/ too and gratified to see the up and coming talent. :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  9. PhotoEcosse

10. Catriona

Thanks Eric.
    I just would be interested to hear/see reviews of them. I know AP isn't into that sort of thing, but I thought a column might work of reviews from readers - or something on the lines of talking about the photos in the Exhibitions. Not to worry. I'll just have to rely on the papers or things online.

11. PhotoEcosse

Hmmmm.

I know what you mean. But also thinking that I know what your opinion of competition judges, salon selectors and forum image appraisers is, why would you place value on the utterings of exhibition reviewers?

Eric

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I made a special visit last year to see the Bailey exhibition, and really enjoyed it. (We're the same age, but he took better snaps than me.)

At least his source material withstood being enlarged to exhibition size much, much better than his of the "decisive moment" quote - at the same venue many years earlier.

13. Catriona

Good grief! Do I come across as someone who thinks she knows better than all those worthies? If so, my apologies all round! Many times I disagree with winners in Salons, particularly, since they invariably pander to the eye-candy lover of high saturation/contrast/levels manipulation faculty - and the dreaded model in wrecked warehouse section, but I don't think I'm alone there. My own taste goes for the more subtle approaches, the downright crazy approach and the sensitive rather than the in-your-face orange sunset or wrinkly old man (although I was married to one!)

So, I've been following what I can of Arles, I watch what is happening in National Galleries, I look at output from certain photographers who I appreciate (including our own Geren and Mike Longhurst's great current series on tourists in London) and enjoy that scene.

I don't think it would be asking too much for a Show coverage per quarter? Or a Brick Street Gallery review, occasionally? Or even something from one of the National Galleries. It is photography and Art appreciation after all. If that comes from someone who tells us about his trip to wherever, then I can gain an insight into what they think, as we do with Roger Hicks.

I guess I see the camera, lens and PP as tools for the final result, not an end in themselves!

14. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

You certainly know as much. So does everyone who looks at a picture.

The artist proposes, the viewer disposes. Critics, judges and their ilk simply flutter around, pompously pretending they have insight lacking in others.

They're wrong.

15. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

AP has never been any more than 50% about equipment, and since the redesign it is more like a third, at best, with another third based around technique. The composition of AP is not the way it is by chance, it's based upon feedback and the results of our regular audience research.

The lack of interest in exhibitions shown by forum members, as mentioned in this thread, is also reflected in our general feedback. I don't know why this is. I suspect people are not prepared to travel to see pictures on a wall, but perhaps if they're passing...

Regular readers will know that we do run a small column in AP every week of events and exhibitions, but the problem with this sort of content is that the further away the reader is from where they're happening the less likely they are to be interested. For that reason, and because of where AP is based, there is an obvious bias towards exhibitions in London, where the population of the catchment area is that much greater. Some of these shows, such as Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Salgado, Photo London etc do attract huge crowds.

Perhaps there would be a way to cover smaller exhibitions from further afield using readers, though if there's one thing less interesting than reporting on an exhibition that's too far away to get to it's reporting on one that's already finished. So perhaps a new Exhibtions section of the website would be the best place for this.

I should finally add that a great many of our features are based around exhibitions (such as one on Photo London in next week's issue). We may not always review the exhibition itself but we show some of the images and talk to the photographer.

If any of the regular exhibition goers on here come across some work that you feel deserves a wider audience please let us know so we can consider it for a future feature.

16. PhotoEcosse

Nigel,

One worth mentioning is the Edinburgh International Exhibition of Photography that runs from 2nd to 30th August 2015 in The Photographic Exhibition Centre, 68 Great King Street, Edinburgh (The same time as the main Edinburgh festivals).

It wouldn't be fair of me to offer to review it as I could hardly be classified as "unbiased", having had one print accepted for the exhibition. :)

Eric

17. Catriona

Thank you Nigel. I appreciate the difficulty and the apparent disinterest from the readers and regulars. I guess I'm just always hungry for new image experiences! Such is life.

Kate

18. PhotoEcosse

19. PhotoEcosse