1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography show 2019

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Mark101, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Please, please, please can we have that as a sticky added to the editor window? :D

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

His post pointed out his facts related to a different show so they are not wrong - irrelevant perhaps but certainly not wrong.

You effectively got in for nothing & found you got excellent value for money. Others who have been to the same show have gained a lot less than you if the comments made over the years on other forums are anything to go by. Many find it worth a visit but not everyone. From your post it sounds like you meet with contacts you've known for a while, and have an idea of the best areas to visit. this would make the show more useful to you than the average photographer.

I'm pretty sure I'd gain more by attending than I did with the earl's court boatshow (I used to go regularly with my Dad) but I think it unlikely that I'd gain enough to be worth the hassle it would involve. Personally I suspect I'd gain more by attending a camera fair, but that would also be dangerous to my bank balance...

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Thank you for making this relevant point.

After the show, if some people who had to pay want to write considered reports for this thread, I would look forward to reading them and any opinions offered about what was there and if the trip was good value for money. This is not an opinion or 'fake news', merely a request that a few people who went share the experience with those of us who may not consider the admission fee, parking costs and travel costs represent good value for money.

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I have never missed a photoshow at the N.E.C. that includes all the old shows!..... except last year when I was hospitalized and my ticket was not used (does anybody want it?) I shall go this year hopefully, it's not too far from where I live it does not cost anything to get there, I only go there to see friends and perhaps ask a few questions, that could change if I won the Lotto.......I may even bump into you know who!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've started to get the discount codes in my junk emails so remember that no-one need pay the full entry, assuming that no-one with photographic interests has yet managed to avoid marketing mails.

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Not sure If I've received any, after years of training receiving completely irrelevant ones, I'm now pretty good at not reading market e-mails. Unfortunately I do still have to go through the routine of deleting them/clearing them out of my spam file.:(

7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I did go last year, I got in for free and took sandwiches so all it cost was parking and petrol. It wasn't crowded on the Saturday and I did get to handle what I wanted and listen to some free talks. The year before I met up with Ivor for a wander and a chat but we actually had trouble buying what we wanted. When I do go it's for a chin wag with the stand hosts and listening to talks. I'd suggest that the deals and rage of goods to actually buy on the day are somewhat limited.

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    Ah Mark, I remember it well !
    Photography is a hobbby so do you all really have to try to justify the cost of going there? I've been to every TPS and a few of the last "Focuius on Imaging" shows after I got back into photography around 2006. I still have the last FoI catalogue, wonder if it will be worth anything??

There are some free "events" at the show, plus some paid talks by professionals (I went to one last year and it was IMHO excellent and worth the fee). As well as admission I have a train fare to pay plus car parking at my local station, so around £50 to £60 before I take into account what I may buy at the show.... but for someone on his own, it is to me a good day out. There are trade exhibitors for sure, but if they are approached the right way they can provide valuable information, plus there are the traders willing to sell you anything from a memory card to a full-blown high speed lens. I have noticed that over the past few years the really excellent deals have diminished in the amount of savings offered, and you may find that what you want will not be stocked at the show at all, as evidenced by Mark and me last year looking for small MFT flashguns with none to be found (was also after a Nikon SB500 and again nobody had that; picked a refurb one up only a couple of months ago from a retailer who does not attend the show).

One further thjought - if you are after a bag and want to try it out to see if all your kit will fit, there really is, IMHO, no better place to go. Almost all the "well-known" manufacturers are represented and you can try your stuff in their bags in youyr own time - I've seen several people doing this each year. I'm looking forwad to this year's show and no doubt will attend on the Saturday only due top peculiarities in tiocket pricing - not just the show but rail tickets. If you travel up and back on different days, the cost basically doubles. Oh the weirdness of our railways !

9. IvorETower

Further thoughts / information:

This year there are some paid events at the show, but there are also many more free talks/sessions to attend.

Having bought my e-ticket, I now discover that on Saturday and SUnday there are no trains between Banbury and Leamington Spa, only replacement buses/coaches. So for anyone like me, heading up through the Midlands, this is adding quite a lot of time to the journey, plus reduced train service - and of course luggage is limited on the coaches/buses. I've just pointed this out at the SWPP Show to the stand exhibiting on behalf of TPS. They cannot influence the track works that go on, but bearing in mind that since TPS has been riunning there are many other very well attended shows at the NEC on the same week-end, this is a massive PITA for anyone intending to travel by train on the affected stretch of track.

I'm currently investigating alternative methods to get there on the Saturday, all of which will certainly cost me more than my usual rail journey would have done :-(

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's a feature of the rail network that it has little resilience. There's not a lot we can do about it and I'm only glad that it no longer affects my days. :(

11. IvorETower

Whelk.... 2 days to go and not much posted here..... are people staying away in droves this year? Have been browsing the website and the free booklet that has been given away in some magazines. Appears that Ricoh-Pentax are staying away too. I've sorted my rail journey via London and have some cheap pre-paid tickets which means going on specific trains only, so I will depart BHI at 16:20

12. Mark101

Well a friend wanted to go because he has never been before, so regardless of saying I'd be giving it a miss this year , I'll be there on Sunday. Free Year's subscription to AP Forum members attending so I hear .... Oh sorry, that was a dream:D

13. IvorETower

Had an interesting time and managed to spend very little ! I managed to arrive at about 10am (opening time) and had to queue for about 5 minutes to get in. Journey home was a bit of a disaster thanks to SouthWestern Railway yet again.... almost an hour at Waterloo waiting for a train, whereas the train from the NEC to Euston was on time and only took just over an hour.. SWR blamed the weather for delays and cancellations but it didn't stop or delay the train to Euston !

Anyone after a Panasonic G9, £849 from all 3 of the major retailers at this year's show, similar £300 saving on G9 with either of the 12-60 lenses. I didn't notice anything off an OM-D EM1 mk II although Olympus will give you a free bag worth, so they say, about £200 if you buy at the show then take the receipt to their stand, and if they still have any stock of bags left. 10% or so off many Sigma lenses at some stands..... was interesting to see so many people flocking to the Wex stand. Got my paws on the Nikon Z-seried.... very nice and felt like a traditional Nikon DSLR to handle but way outside my pricerange...... I ought to try to get a 70-200 f/2.8 as my next photographic purchase but again, too much money new (well over £1000 for either the Tamron G2 or Sigma S even at the cheapest show prices I saw).

There were plenty of free talks in the numerous seminar "rooms" that had been created for this year's show, in addition to the "pay talks", and several demonstrations/further demo sessions on many of the stands throughout the show.

14. Mark101

I went on Sunday and due to events in New Zealand there were bag checks this year. Had to laugh when the security man asked a man if he had packed his own lunch in a plastic sandwich box and sort of showed the amateur nature of ad hoc security in the UK.

Stands were pretty much as ever, with crowds surrounding the Disabled Photographers Society stand looking at old donated equipment and books. There appeared to be some good offers on Lumix gear, like a GX 9 body for £479 and the Panasonic stand helpfully letting people test gear and then directing them to show resellers. Canon had plenty of R cameras and lenses to try plus Nikon were pushing their range of mirrorless gear. Eating area was wasn't as crowded as last year in my experience and although taking some some food, I ended up buying a Cornish Pasty and two drinks costing just short of £10.

Good day out if only to talk to people on the stands and there appeared to be more free talks this year, one drowned out by a hail storm hitting the venue, and generally the talks offered something for everyone, including an Asian dance off. AP staff were very friendly and helpful and for once there was a good supply of B & W film available on a couple of stands. Patterson stand seemed well attended for their darkroom gear and lighting.

Perhaps next year we could hold a group meeting at the Show and make a collective day of it.

15. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

It could be nothing but more than a coincidence, but it did happen a few moments after Joe McNally made a joke at the expense of Canon users during his demonstration on the lastolite/manfrotto stand....

Mark101 likes this.