1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography project ideas?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Oleg2016, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't have nearly so many but I am still continuing my collection of Barrs Drinks cans that have been 'carefully' disposed of. I also collect images of abandoned furniture, plastic that collects on the beach (and other rubbish).

Oleg2016 and EightBitTony like this.
  2. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Oleg2016 and EightBitTony like this.
  3. Oleg2016

Oleg2016 Well-Known Member

Great ideas! Thanks! :)
    do you think there is a difference series from the project ?
    how important is the text in the project?

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Oleg,

First question: A (successful) project gives rise to a series, so, no difference.

Second question: Depends. Sometimes it is indispensable. At other times, a title - telling people what to expect -- is all you need. In between, a caption may add a little to the pictures but is not necessarily important.

Cheers,

R.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not to mention the difference between a project (has an end point - like my Staines Railway Bridges project - ongoing) and a collection (open ended - like my new Boxes collection).

Oleg2016 likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think project, series, collection, they're all just words to describe a group of pictures. You can decide if they mean the same or something different. Is a collection open ended while a project is closed, or is a collection limited to 60 items while a project is a life-long activity. Who knows. Your choice.

The keys are - motivation, purpose, intent and enjoyment. Whatever drives those or gives you the most is what you should do.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  7. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Text can help sometimes, I usually add an introduction as to why I shot what I did.

For the 36 views of the Shard I had this

The Shard is a 95 storey skyscraper, in Southwark London.

Standing 310 metres (1020ft) high and is the tallest building in the UK, the tallest building in the EU and 96th tallest building in the world.

36 views of the Shard was inspired by Katsushika Hokusai's 36 views of Mount Fuji and Wolfgang Tillman's Concorde grid of 56 images.

For the Dumped series (now called discarded) I went with this

Sadly our streets are becoming a dumping ground for people's discarded household items.

These are some of the items openly discarded on the streets of Lewisham.

All the images were shot in a three week period, just before and after Christmas 2017

https://issuu.com/flaneurwithacamera/docs/dumped

Oleg2016 likes this.