1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography presents any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blurred Image, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Blurred Image

Blurred Image Active Member

Last minute, rush present needed for a keen photographer. Any ideas? He's got a reasonable kit based on a decent nikon camera. Trouble is that if he wants it he can buy it for himself. It's got to be something that he's not thought that he needs. Also with a good chance it's stocked in a local national photography retail chain.

Emergency situation! I remembered a birthday late and then found out they're good to be around on the birthday. Normally they're not around but this time they are so I've got a short time to get this present.

Over to you! Any suggestions desperately accepted!

Unfortunately he already buys Amateur Photography magazine so a subscription is out. That was my first thought.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Amazon voucher with a strong hint in the card saying 'buy a photography book / book of photography'.

PhotoEcosse and RogerMac like this.
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Seconded

4. Blurred Image

I was thinking a voucher from a camera shop but it's like giving money, they know how much you spent and you're tied into that shop.

I was thinking of a photography book but I've bought a how to on digital photography before now. I could get a photo gallery type of book as inspiration but that wouldn't last long.

Seriously this individual is hard to buy for.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I tell people to get me Amazon vouchers, they always say 'that's boring' and then buy me something I'll never use. It's a strange old world.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Gorillapod.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Memory cards. It's hard to have too many!

Or if you want to spend more, a 1TB or 2TB hard drive for back-ups.

Both are things you mean to get around to but are so boring you don't bother.

Cheers,

R.

Craig20264 likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,

Well, I certainly didn't know I needed one. And I don't.

(I have two or three -- trade samples from shows).

Cheers,

R.

9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I have far too many. I really only need the 64Gb cards that are currently in my cameras and the same number of duplicates in my bag. Never again will I use the dozens of others in my desk drawer, ranging from 256Kb to 16Gb that, at the time I acquired them, seemed the optimum size for my use.

But seriously, when faced with the problem of buying a present for "someone who has everything", I find that the most appreciated gesture is to make a donation a charity in his/her name.

10. RovingMike

That is truth with most gifting. Black & Decker made a business out of gimmicky multi-purpose things that look good to gift-givers, but not necessarily to the victims / recipients.

Craig20264 likes this.
  11. Blurred Image

Gimmicky presents? Debenhams entrance displays at xmas! I pity anyone who thinks they're a good present. I think I still have a few hidden in the house somewhere.

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I always love getting amazon vouchers or book tokens. I am invariably happy to accept film stock or paper either for printing in the darkroom or for digital prints. I fancy a kit that would let me make my own cyanotypes at home. I'd REALLY like a uv lamp for developing those indoors and not having to rely on the frankly awful Scottish sunshine for that purpose. I would very much like a wacom tablet for photo editing. I wouldn't say no to a nice set of photo albums (ones with black card that you need to use photocorners on) and some photo corners. A set of stuff to make your own album is even better - waxed thread, bone folder, needles, nice paper, bookboard, book glue. If you decide that your friend is too hard to buy for and you feel like reaping the warm glow of gift giving in my general direction I'm happy to provide a full and extensive wish list!

EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Lens shaped coffee mug?

RogerMac likes this.
  14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

NOOOOO. NO MORE.....PLEASE!!!!!!

AndyTake2 and EightBitTony like this.
  15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

One of those foldable Lasolite reflectors ... gold on one side, white on the other? Worth also getting a suitable clip so the reflector can be attached or screwed via 1/4" BSF hole aonto something else - oddly Lastolite just don't seem to do something as simple or obvious as this though.
    Another couple of useful objects, are a beanbag to steady a camera on, or cord with a loop which goes around the hinged section of a tripod, with a bungee and spike to push into the ground, making a less than rigid tripod, more stable than it otherwise would be, when taking time exposure shots?

16. RovingMike

There is a whole science devoted to what to give people interested in X, who have everything they need already. Golf has always been overloaded with plastic gizmos that hold a card, pencil, tee, ball marker, cup of tea, ball, towel, gps, etc. No golfer would be seen dead using one.

Craig20264 likes this.
  17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I've always thought a good gift for a photographer would be a kind of 'hamper' of little bits and bobs that are really useful when out and about photographing that nobody ever thinks of. Black electrical tape/string for mending things or for taping/tying bits of unwanted greenery out of shot. Similarly a penknife with scissor attachment for pruning purposes. Plasters. Antibac gel for hands that might have had to get too close to nature for comfort. Hipflask for particularly cold days. TIssues for watering eyes.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

What do they photograph? An annual pass to a local zoo or nature reserve may appeal. If they're into landscapes then a National Trust membership would give them free parking at NT sites across the whole country if nothing else.

mediaman likes this.
  19. RovingMike

Ah now you're getting into an area of mine that was much quoted years ago (except I didn't invent it) - The three photographer's essentials: A 20ft stepladder to change the angle of view, clippers on a long pole to remove wires and a high powered rifle to prevent anyone walking into the scene.

mediaman, Craig20264 and Geren like this.
  20. Blurred Image

I don't know what he shoots. Nature, landscapes, buildings, etc. He's a member of a local photography group (U3A IIRC) so he often has assignments for the next meet. So I think he does a wide range of subjects. The group does trips out too. I'd expect he mostly photographs when out walking, so nature stuff and landscapes. Kind of what I'll do.