1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography Exhibitions - Are you a "real photographer"?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by PhotoEcosse, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree about "put up or shut up" but I think my site does say a certain amount.

I still can't see the point about "validation" -- I genuinely don't see what it means -- and all I'm saying is that claiming to be seriously interested in photography but then choosing not to go to exhibitions strikes me as very odd. Also, I enormously prize the experience of being able to flit from one picture to the next, or to step back and see several at once, and to be able to examine a real print from near and far. Again, to be indifferent to that experience strikes me as evidence of a degree of indifference, or perhaps of ignorance of what is often the most important form a photograph can take. Of course I accept that there are people who don't think prints are important, and are totally satisfied with low-resolution screen pics. And again, I find that odd, especially if it was the photographer's intention that the picture should be presented as a print.

This is admittedly something of a fine art approach, but then, I think photography is (or can be) one of the fine arts as well as a snapshot or record shot; and accepting photography into the company of other fine arts seems to me to be about the most basic criterion for taking photography seriously.

My point about criticism is not quite what you seem to think. Of course I'd like a warm glow of approval (and indeed get one from the guest book at my exhibitions), but I don't desperately feel the need of one here, because I very strongly suspect that I could be Willy Ronis, Ansel Adams and Gueorgui Pinkhassov all rolled into one and there'd still be some fairly nasty snipes from those who simply don't like me.

If I can work out how to do attachments, I'll try it, with 3 pics each from current series, and we'll see what happens.

Cheers,

R.

2. Roger Hicks

Thanks to a note from a kind and helpful moderator, I've just learned that I can't do attachments: I have to host the pics elsewhere and then link to them. As I don't do facebook, tumblr, flickr, etc. this ain't gonna happen. Pity, but there it is.

I'm hoping that I may start a blog in a few weeks under the tutelage of my brother-in-law, who is a qualified Microsofty: he's coming to stay. But I can't be sure.

Cheers,

R.

3. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if my use of language diverted you from the main point - unintended I promise.

I am a little surprised that you should choose to pick me up on some trivial semantics instead of commenting on whether my suggestions answered the question.

Still,, as I've often been told I can't dictate the direction of a thread and as you so rightly say "different strokes for different folks".

MickLL

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Tomorrow, all being well, I shall visit the Atlas Gallery to see their exhibition of photographs by Marc Riboud.

I'm familiar with his work. I have seen some of it several times before in other exhibitions & other galleries. His work appears in some of the Magnum books that I have and somewhere I may have a monograph. So why do I want to see his photographs again?

Well, refreshing the memory can be a pleasant thing. Meeting images that you know & like from past encounters can be like meeting old friends. Then I may notice or learn something new. An image 'in the flesh', albeit behind glass, brings another element into play: the work of the printer. Curating an exhibit, arranging images in a particular order can bring new effects, greater impacts, fresh understandings. Or I may just be stimulated, encouraged, exercised, and leave there thinking 'Go on, get out there with your camera. See what you can do.'

Perhaps my view of Riboud's work may change, I may demote him, decide I am tired of what he did and that Bischof or Kubota were much better. I may now feel that his approach had limitations and that I prefer a different, perhaps freer style. I may even be overwhelmed anew and stand in awe of his photographic achievement evident in that small selected show.

Then there is the even greater intangible, the effect of an art, and its consumption, on the human spirit.

Who knows? I still look forward to it. I want to be there. Take a risk of disappointment set against the potential for encouragement or excitement or inspiration.

Jimmy Forsyth said "I wasn't after no fancy shades."

But I am.

Even if they belong to another photographer; in an exhibition they become shared. We become - almost - co-owners of the fancy shades.

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

. . . and then there's always the unexpected, like when I visited an exhibition in Paris in 2004, there were only 5 or 6 people in the small room . . . it's difficult to concentrate on the photographs when Martine Franck and Henri Cartier-Bresson are standing next to you!

Alan.

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Lets see.......the biennial Wiesbaden Photodays are just around the corner, so I'll wander around the various exhibitions. Previous experience shows that, whilst the technical standard will be high, in terms of content the range will, for me, cover everything from 'extremely good' to 'leaves me cold'.

Elsewhere in the region, somebody called Ori Gersht is showing photos on the theme 'Natural forces'. Could be interesting.

I think there are other photo exhibitions happening/ in the offing. The trouble is, publicity seems to be increasingly lacking these days.

As to being a good/real/serious photographer- I have no idea. Such labels and/or epithets are handed out by other people. However, when in the course of a vernissage someone asks me about my photographic contribution to the exhibition, and then speaks the magic name "Emma Chisitt?"..........Well, given that the prospective purchaser is also an artist,I think I can safely assume that I've reached a certain standard of acceptability and/or quality? The other reflex of 'take the money and run' is obvious!

Lynn

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Lynn,

Ah, dear Emma. I don't run into her as often as I'd like...

Highlight: Yes. This is one of the many reasons I go to exhibitions: to remind myself of the sheer range and variety of what's out there.

As for publicity, we ran into a terrible example last week. At Niort there was an alleged festival of young photographers, with exhibitions at eight venues. We found two of them by accident; one because it was mentioned in the newspaper; and gave up when no-one at the tourist office appeared to have any idea that there even was a festival, despite huge (120x150cm, 4x5 foot) but deeply uninformative posters dotted around the city.

Cheers,

R.

8. Trannifan

On the other hand, you could open a gallery here. This allows you to upload directly from your website. From the gallery you can then transfer or link your pics to the desired thread. Works for me.

It's about time to think about having a word with my favourite cafe regarding another exhibition. The previous one was two years ago now. However, before I do that I'll have to go to IKEA and get extension pieces for the Ivar shelving in the cellar so that I can store the 15 or so new exhibition quality pictures which the exhibition will require.

Lynn

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Lynn,

Ah... Thanks for that. Can I also upload to a gallery here directly from my computer? Most of the stuff on the site is quite old now, and I'd rather show newer stuff.

EDIT: Having just looked, is this the same as an album? Or can one create a separate personal gallery to which one can add repeatedly?

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  10. Trannifan

Go to Galleries > personal albums > create own album.

You can then upload directly from your computer. That's the way I do it and I have nothing to do with facebook, flickr and all the other picture hosting sites. You may need to resize your pictures though to suit AP- there's info somewhere on the site. After you've created your album you can then post the pictures to whichever thread needs them. Instructions on how to do this are on the site as well- try the intro to appraisal or exhibition for details.

Lynn

11. Roger Hicks

Dear Lynn,

Great, thanks.

Cheers,

Roger

12. Trannifan

As an aside to the above, at the previous Photodays, 2013, I had an interesting experience. I can't for the life of me remember what the theme was. Be that as it may, a couple of people in different locations exhibited sequences/series of portraits. I honestly came away with the feeling that one could swap a couple of portaits from the one location with a couple from the other....and no-one would be any the wiser!

Lynn

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

That really hits the notion "I don't go to exhibitions because I live in the countryside" squarely on the head.

Eric

15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not sure why that would be a criticism? Portraits are portraits, so fairly interchangeable for location I would think. I personally prefer people in a context, but I do like a lot of what Larry Selman does. You get an impression of environment if not location. https://www.facebook.com/StreetSelman

16. Catriona

The last photographic exhibition I saw recently was a portrait one. Craig Mackay's Salt of the Earth series.
    The only unifying theme was the excess of black, the pretention, the romanticization of a group of people, thus robbing them of their individuality and the overall disappointment I felt as I looked around the Gallery. All I can say is that it portrayed the photographer, not the sitter.

I see what Lynn is saying. Portraits without context or environment can be swapped amongst different series' or looked at individually without loss of impact. Yes, the photographic style might show, but as a series? Unless there is a unifying theme, they can be stand alone images.

I love portraits that tell me about the sitter, not the photographer. On reflection, afterwards, I praise the photographer, wholeheartedly.

17. RovingMike

So you won't like these then: https://www.pinterest.com/chalanski/martin-schoeller/

Have you ever seen individuals so commoditised that only the photographer remains? And they pay big money to be stripped of who they are.

18. RovingMike

Apart from the valid reasons already posted for that not being a very fair comparison, we did debate the issue long ago (in relation to Appraisals I have to say) of people either voluntarily, or otherwise, declaring their "qualifications".

It was held by most to be a very bad thing and far better for what they actually wrote to be used as the only measure of their credibility. But then you have the issue of literacy, which as we know, can be just as variable around these parts.

But I'm sure it is only fair for some evidence of photographic ability to be findable if people wish to check it out.

19. Catriona

Haha! You know I didn't mean you. I like your photography a lot. It's so wide ranging and wonderful quality!

20. Catriona

Eek!
    Can you remember the one who took the full length portraits of Obama and Co? It was a while ago. Similar vein.