1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography blog:)

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by annaholly, Jul 28, 2014.

1. annaholly

annaholly Member

Very very amateur! (16yo and only had my bridge camera around 6 months), hoping you could check it out and maybe give feedback. Very much appreciated :) http://annaholly.postach.io/

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Anna Holly (hope that's right),

Your shell and rock pictures in particular say a lot to me and I quite like the writing too, but here's a small tip from someone who has earned a living from writing for almost three times as long as you have been alive. As far as possible, lose the word "I" and do not repeatedly start sentences with it, let alone paragraphs or whole pieces of writing. Try to draw people in (which your pictures do) by showing us universal images (which your pictures do) rather than writing "I . . . I . . . I . . ." Indeed, consider kicking off each blog post with a pic, not text.

As an example, I could have started the para above with "I liked your pictures but..." No. That's "I . . I . . . I . . .". That's why I started with "Your pictures". When you are trying to get someone's attention, they are more important than you are. Of course there are always those who aren't as important as you but then it's generally (not always) even more important to be polite to them, especially at your age. It is said that a gentleman is someone who is never unintentionally rude. I suspect that the same is true of ladies.

Work harder on white balance -- whites as white, unless you really want to make a point about the colour of the light -- and take great care with level horizons, especially with water horizons. Remember the story of the man who was given a pair of water skis and spent his next three holidays looking for a lake with a slope.

Finally -- and this may be harshest -- consider another portrait. You're looking up at the camera like a child. Look down at it, as the artist/writer you are or want to be. Image counts for a lot. This would have hurt me as criticism when I was your age, but it's nothing to do with your looks: just camera angle.

No, not quite finally. Recently I was criticized on this forum for replying somewhat stiffly to someone a little older than you who said "Follow me. . . Like me....". I asked why I should: I didn't like his tone, and I didn't like his pictures. He had nothing to say. But as you say, you're 16. And, from your blog, you have something to say. You're new to photography. You admit it. You're not arrogant. In my book, that's worth a lot. Good luck!

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. annaholly

annaholly Member

Thank you so much for the tips! I'll definitely take all this into account when putting up new posts. And I'll make sure to thoroughly read over and edit my text and layout. The photos on your website are amazing by the way. The writing on my blog seems to need some editing (You are definitely right about "I...I...I"). You're obviously very experienced (dont worry about sounding harsh) I really really appreciate the help!

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

The pictures, I will leave to others more qualified than I. The writings, for your years are engaging. You kept me reading, which is no mean feat with me as I am easily bored with waffling. You are ahead of your years. Keep at it, and you could do worse than heed the advice of our resident writer, Roger..:)

5. annaholly

annaholly Member

Thank you for reading/looking at it, I am so glad it was interesting enough for you to carry on reading! I really appreciate the encouragement and feedback.

Also, I checked out your Flickr. Your photos are really impressive!
    Anna :)

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Anna,

Probably, I'll be accused of "grooming" you next. After all, at just under 4x your age, I'm old enough to be your grandfather!

But seriously, it is always a great pleasure to be able to help someone who loves the same things you do; and from my immediate reading, you're (potentially) an even better writer than photographer.

Would that I had been encouraged, at your age, not to pursue a "conventional" career: I would not have wasted anything like as much time. Have faith in yourself!

EDIT from Frances: DO NOT listen to those who say, "You can't do what you want." We both suffered from grandmothers like that (Frances has two degrees in theatre, B.A. and M.A.). It's true that most people can't. But if you're good enough, you can.. How do you find out if you're good enough? TRY!

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  7. annaholly

annaholly Member

Thank you! I'll definitely carry on with this hobby and that was some wonderful encouragement. Hopefully with practice and dedication I'll achieve highly too,
    Anna.

8. Manamarak

Manamarak New Member

Hi,

I don't know if this is just me, but I'm now getting a 404 error when I click the link.
    I'd love to see the site and give you my thoughts. Let me know when it is working again.

9. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

Same here too, not found. Hopefully your blog will be up again soon.

I've been considering a photography blog for some time, so am interested in seeing what you've produced.