1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography art? You must be joking...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, May 21, 2007.

1. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Eggscellent.

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Photography art? You must be joking.// In the words of an old.....

Hi Mark,

Who's Ed???

:rolleyes:

Jack

3. Per

Per Well-Known Member

I think we're in danger of making a mistake here...I don't think that denegrating Art is actually in our best interests. We don't want to look like we don't understand Art, or believe it to be rubbish, while simultaneously discussing if our work is good enough to be considered as Art!

Or am I the only person to think that this is a bit like saying that the English Cricket team are crap when they get beaten - it's insulting to the better team as well as our own - i.e. not sporting!

C'mon folks. Judging Art in the whole is dangerous if you don't know your Isms or you don't understand why that pile of bricks was so important. Or perhaps you'd be happy for an Artist to mock the icons of Photography as dull, obvious or overrated? Sounds like a loose-loose argument to me.

It's often stated that you should study the work of other photographers in order to improve one's own work.

May I suggest that we should study the Art world too, especially if we have serious aspirations to call our work Art?

Perhaps AP could do a crash course in Art appreciation and interview modern artists? Just a thought :D

4. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

QFT! :cool:

5. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Oh, for the curious, said pile of bricks is a series called 'Equivalent I - VII', 1966 by the Minimalist Carl Andre.

Andre said that for an audience to have to make an effort to 'get it' is only right, as his work is not entertainment.

6. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

If I take a photo and show the result to the world as it is straight from the camera, then perhaps it isn't art. If I then modifiy it in Photoshop, Painting out bits I do not want, enhancing the colour or the saturation, sharpening bits here and there, adjusting the tone and contrast and cropping it to a more desireable shape, then I would think it was art. It is not necessary that it is 'good art', but I think it is art nevertheless.

7. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Why are the bricks so important? Please enlighten us.

8. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Yes, I like the fact that he explains his piece of "Art" by saying that he doesn't have to explain it.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

Probably because those bricks cost us taxpayers a lot of money...

Sometimes a pile of bricks is just a pile of bricks.

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Afternoon David,

Let me guess.... University grad with a major in Political Economics and a minor in Philosophy ;)

:D

Jack

11. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

"Sometimes a pile of bricks is just a pile of bricks."

Sounds more like psychiatry than philosophy to me. However, sometimes a quotation is just a quotation....

I dunno what Jeremy Clarkson would think about a man who smokes cigars though.

12. Per

Per Well-Known Member

I'll try - and apologies to any real Art History buffs out there. I'm not much of a photographer either...

Minimalism is very much about the purge of the extraneous, simplification by removing unwanted messages and references. A little like extreme composition, if you like. For Andre (and Judd, Creed and Flavin), traditional Art - painting and sculpture - had run its course and it was definitely time for something new. It was definitely not about lots of things, but included the blankness running through much of 20th century Art.

Now we look at installations that amplify physical properties and play with positive and negative space, and the space around the object, with the benefit of 40+ years of familiarity. In the mid 60s it was provocative, and using objects from the shop (and sometimes returned to the shop!) was modern. The Daily Mirror hated it, but Modernism probably counted that a success in its determination to be original.

The Tate was right to try to obtain some samples of Judd's boxes, Flavin's flourescent tubes and Andre's firebricks as a National collection that couldn't tell the story of this Ism in Art history wouldn't be much of a collection.

Nowadays Minimalism is a statement - in interior design - and is considered stylish and evidence of wealth and taste. This is not how it started out, but it was about making a radical something out of very little. As little as possible.

A flourescent tube, or a few bricks, perhaps.

13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe my view of 'Art' is different to other individuals here, but I perceive 'Art' as something that requires complex, learnt manipulative skills, or if it is something contemplative, like the 'Bricks', that the artist is obliged to present a verbal or written explainaton of what the artist is conveying to the viewer. If they are incapable of producing a straightforward and understandable description of what they are presenting, I can only conclude that the material being presented, is indeed just a heap of bricks by a charlatan wishing to extract money from gullible individuals.

I'm sorry if some people think I am a Philistine, but much modern art seems to be more about making as much money as possible from the least amount of time and effort!

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

But there is, if you bother going to the exhibition. :D

Or if you have any interest at all you'll read around the subject/artist. It is so not about the 'finished' outcome. People seem to think it's something they're supposed to instantly 'get', or look pretty, well I suppose that sort of cr@ppe is around but why would I be interested in it? Something that'll make me think, and want to think more, is my bag.

15. TheFatControlleR

Innit.

16. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the enlightenment :D

So, at the end of the day, it was just a pile of bricks... there is no deep meaning hidden away there :( I guess it could have been any bricks, it's just the concept that matters & having the cheek to pull it off without actually admitting that there really is nothing more than meets the eye.

It would appear to be just a question of what is in fashion - if some "style guru" says it's cool, it's cool, and people buy the "art", not because they like it, or it means something to them, but because it's the latest thing. Meanwhile the artist is sniggering all the way to the bank, and the aforementioned well cool person has the uncomfortable feeling that they may have just possibly been done up like a kipper.

EDIT - I suspect that the real artists out there are not too happy about this situation... I get the feeling that my neighbour, an artist of the abstract kind, is not overly impressed when people buy her work because the colours go with their decor. But this is what is happening :( I love her work and can see where she's coming from but a lot of people can't even see what the subject is supposed to be!

17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

But at least they will have something to think about :D

18. TheFatControlleR

Anyone in the art world today has had plenty of time to get used to it and know what they're up against (if they see conceptualism, etc., as something they're up against...). :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

19. Per

Per Well-Known Member

The difference between price and value is something the Art world has been exploring and commenting on for a very long time, and was beautifully illustrated by Duchamp's 'ready-mades' - the urinal etc.

That doesn't mean that Art is a con, or that value has to be pinned to the cost of (re)production, especially when everyday materials are intentionally used in order to remove the aura of 'value', and the comfort factor for the viewer in employing skill and craft to make something look like traditional Art, pre 1920/Modernism.

A photograph may take a lifetime to make, and yet uses cheap, readily available materials. If a photographer can make a good living selling their work to stylish people, to go on the walls of their apartments, then great.

Does that entitle said photographer to snigger in NatWest?

Possibly! :D

20. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I guess that, "Pile Of Bricks", would make a good foundation course !!! :D
    Regards
    Ray