1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographing training excercises, and climbing a mountain

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Louise, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I am with a group called Serve On since Last January, if you want to know what we do, please check out the link.
    https://www.serveon.org.uk/

I take photos of their training excercise's and have just began training myself. In June I hope to go to Snowdonia and up the mountain photographing the training exercise. What I want to know is several things like:

• What's the best way of protecting the camera from the elements? I've heard the weather can change in minutes.
    • What are the best settings, eg: iso, speed, white balance?
    • Do I take the battery out at night when not in use?
    • Where is the best place to get a genuine Nikon battery?
    • Is 18-105 lens good to use up a mountain?

Having never climbed a mountain. or EVEN been to Wales before, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm a bit worried I've bitten off more then I can chew, I'm not a pro so I hope they don't expect too much of me.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Louise likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Going on the mountains means being equipped to protect yourself in case of a change of weather, so you need some extra layers of clothing and waterproofs even in June. I doubt the leaders will take anyone up if the forecast is bad but if the weather does "turn" when you are on the mountain then you put the camera away in your rucksack!

Depending on what the training is I don't expect you need to do anything different photographically on a mountain compared to on the flat. An 18-105 sound good to me.

There are several ways up Snowdon - if the training is "to climb Snowdon" then they will probably take you up the Pyg Track.

I'd suggest to get a walking pole. If you haven't been off the flat before then you will appreciate the extra support going downhill.

You will need walking boots. Wear them in properly before you go. Nothing spoils a walk more than blisters.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Fixed!

daft_biker likes this.
  5. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

When it comes to mountain climbing and photography it may be worth dropping a line to Ken Scott at http://touchingthelight.co.uk/contact/. He's been a mountain climber and photographer for many years so he may well have a few tips.

As for a battery I imagine Castle Cameras in Salisbury should be able to help or online Wex can supply as I would expect the like of Park Cameras, Calumet and London Camera Exchange (LCE, that also have a branch in Salisbury too) to be able to as well.

If the nights are likely to be cold than taking the battery out of the camera and placing it somewhere warmer may be a reasonable idea - just make sure the battery(ies) are well isolated and not able to come into contact with any metal - shorting them out makes them a lot warmer than is safe...

Louise likes this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

What Pete said. Try to travel light but take plenty food and water to keep your energy up.

8. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Unless you are very unlucky you won't need any additional kit over what you probably have. Good boots, a warm jacket and a good waterproof. If the weather forecast is terrible my advice is to come back another day.

My dad took this pic of my brother and I high on Snowden in 1975. I would have been 9 and my brother 6

[​IMG]

I always take my camera to the hills with me. It either stays nice and dry in my backpack, or slung over my shoulder. If it gets wet you can tuck it inside your jacket or put it back in your bag. You don't have to worry too much about the weather cameras are not that fragile. Just don't drop it in a stream or leave it out in very heavy rain.

daft_biker likes this.
  9. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Looks stunning :)