1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographers warned over grey imports

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Dec 17, 2010.

1. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

But.....No Nikon facility will even TOUCH a Gray Market item. They won't even touch it if it is out of warranty and you are willing to pay to have it fixed. The above Nikon statement says "repair and service facilities at the majority of Nikon overseas subsidiaries and service facilities".
    I have no trouble understanding the words overseas and repair....especially when...again..Nikon will not repair a gray market item even if you offer to pay them(which in itself is a COMPLETE insult)....you need to belong to a special club to even have them look at it.

2. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

So you think Nikon is going to look at some famous American professional photographer's D3X while he is on assignment in Euope and say..."Yep...it's broke....when you get back home send it in for repairs".
    Really?....
    :D

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nope, they will expect him to pay for the repair.

4. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

He is OVERSEAS....that camera in his hands is now a grey market camera....they won't touch it....right?

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

In the real world he/she'll just rent one while he/she finishes the job. Being a famous American doesn't mean you lose touch with reality. (in most cases. Celebrity need not apply to this statement /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) Pros may get priority but it still takes time to mend things.

6. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I bought Olympus, where I get a 2year warranty on European bought goods, and a 1year, world wide warranty, on goods from any other market! :D

7. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

It's a long time ago now, but an OM4 that I bought in the UK failed (the electronics - it was a common problem with the early ones apparently) while I was in Sydney and was repaired under warranty by the local Olympus agent. I don't recall any fuss at all.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Wrong, he can prove that he bought it "legitimately" in his home country. I have the receipt for mu D2Xs so, as long as I have it with me, Nikon USA will be happy to work on my camera.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Wrong, he can prove that he bought it "legitimately" in his home country. I have the receipt for my D2Xs so, as long as I have it with me, Nikon USA will be happy to work on my camera.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It may be appropriate to point out a couple of things.

1. A "grey" import is probably perfectly legal

2. Whether you buy grey or white (official importer) goods it is the RETAILER'S responsibility to get it fixed.

3. The "official" importer cannot legally stop anyone else from importing the same product, and selling it, they can't even prevent people from repairing it. They can stop supplying spare parts.

4. If you buy a "grey" import you don't have to go to the importer if you need it repaired out of warranty.

5. Not all warranty repairs are done by the importer.

6. The term "grey" market is one created by the "official" importers to protect their business. The "official" importer's attitudes may even be illegal in a "free" market.

11. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

The major part of any warranty, is financed by the importer, via the goods they sell. A World-Wide warranty, rarely offers the same level cover that an importer offers.

As has already been mentioned, the levels and different types of Excise Duty and taxes paid, vary radically from one country to another, as does the VAT percentage rate charged.

Furthermore, because the USA market is vastly greater than that of the UK, the volume of goods the importer sells, will also mean they can get a bigger discount off the manufacturers, than their UK and European counterparts.

If you buy a camera abroad, on entering this country, Excise Duty and some other associated taxes, still have to be paid. (I suspect there are also Taxes levied on s/hand goods in some instances, though what these are, I don't know, but suspect on some products, rules relating to the age, who sold you the item, the amount of wear and tear on it, and things like this, have a role on what level of Import Duty etc, is payable.

Each importer has a database containing the serial nos of the goods they have sold, and I would not be surprised if an importer can quite easily find out which importer sold a particular piece of equipment. I do also seem to remember back on the early 70s, a customer trying to 'palm off' for repair under guarantee (in a shop I was working in) a 'Grey' or foreign-bought camera, as having been bought in the UK, for repair under the UK warranty ...

We heard from the customer a bit later that:
    A: The manufacturer declined the warranty cover,
    B: The importer informed Customs and Excise who promptly impounded the item, until he paid them the outstanding Excise Duty, plus a hefty fine!

Of course some people think that they are being overcharged here, and think it's 'clever' to buy abroad, but if the equipment goes 'belly-up', the money you have 'Saved' will be lost in the costs of sending the equipment back to the importer that distributed it, plus all the time and hassle involved.

12. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

Does your camera serial number match the serial number on your warranty card....or receipt? Pro body serial numbers are not coded by country...so all you are doing is providing proof that you have, in your hands, a grey market camera since you are now standing on American soil.

13. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

Again....why would/should a warranty have anything to do with the amount the consumer paid for a product? Nikon Corp. stands MORE behind it's UK products than it does it's German or French products? Nikon Corp designed and built that camera to last two years while being trouble free...then shipped them all over the world.

14. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Sorry to leap in at this point, but you've just lost me. Please can you rephrase the question for someone in the real world?

If Nikon produce the same product for worldwide distribution, then how are there any UK products?

Which bit of Nikon Corp did this? To help, here's a handy summary of the group's structure, although it doesn't mention that Nikon Corporation is itself a member of the Mitsubishi keiretsu.

Hopefully, your answers to these questions will help everyone to answer yours. :D

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Wrong on two counts.

My D2X is a USA sold camera and I was unable to register it with Nikon UK because it was a USA sold camera. So Pro body serial numbers ARE coded by country. If this were not the case I could register both D2X bodies in either country.

Nikon USA state in their terms that, as long as I can prove that I bought my camera from a stockist in my country of residence, a UK supplier, who obtained it from Nikon UK, (my D2Xs is registered on the Nikon UK website, something I couldn't do if it was not a Nikon UK import) they will repair it. All I need is the sales receipt, not the warranty card, from the UK dealer.

I haven't tried getting a camera repaired in the USA because, although I am rarely in New York long enough, it hasn't been necessary.

A foreign resident taking his or her camera into another country does NOT constitute a grey import. Mainly because it isn't being permanently imported. As a UK resident owning a camera officially imported into the UK, I am able, as stated above, to use the facilities of Nikon USA, at cost, as long as I can prove that I bought the camera in the UK, my home market.

16. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

It's very easy for any country's importer to know if the camera was sold through them ... just enter the serial no in their products database ... Simples!

17. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

On the subject of pricing; the selling price of cameras has very little to do with their cost price. Like many electronic products, cameras are sold at the maximum price that any given market will bear consistent with maintaining maximum volume sales. In other words, they are priced at the point which generates maximum profit! This is why most music CD's are priced at £13.00, despite the fact that production costs and royalties represent a fraction of this cost. (Tape cassettes cost much more to produce, but were sold at a lower price becuase they were less durable, and so had a lower perceived value.)

Secondly, it is a fallacy that electronics products are cheaper in Europe/USA because it is a bigger market than the UK. That is just an excuse put about by importers in this country. Clearly there are some cost savings when buying and shipping in bulk, but the difference between the quantity discounts granted to Nikon UK Vs Nikon USA or Europe would be minimal. And don't forget that the USA and European markets have similar sales taxes and import duties to the UK.

18. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

According to Thom Hogan....pro bodies have no region coding.
    http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The absence of a serialised warranty slip does not mean Nikon USA don't know what they imported, by serial number. And the Serialised warranty cards for my F5s suggests that Nikon UK issue them, meaning they too know what they imported.

All my Nikon bodies are long out of warranty so there is no chance of proving, or disproving, the theory. Thom is a nice guy, I doubt he buys many pro bodies outside the USA though. I can only tell you what I have experienced, which is excellent service from Nikon UK but I do have two Nikon UK warranty cards for pro cameras with serial numbers,

20. NikonNik

NikonNik Well-Known Member

Quick Question

If I buy, in the UK, a grey import camera from the US, with Nikon (US) Warranty, can it be returned to Nikon (US) for Warranty repair