1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographers warned over grey imports

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Dec 17, 2010.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

There's a simple way for distributors to stamp out grey imports - if they stopped ripping us Brits off, the issue would disappear. Somehow I don't think this sort of warning has any chance at all of being effective.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the distributors that are ripping us off. More likely to be the tax in this country

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

One way the manufactures can control this is by "Cash-Back" from authorised dealers.

There's often this "rip-off Britain" cry but stuff is even dearer in other countries. I have relatives in Sweden and friends in Finland and they say things are cheaper in the UK. It's very difficult, nigh on impossible, to determine the real costs in different countries as tax structures and state benefits vary so wildly.

5. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

Now Sigma(like Nikon, Canon etc etc etc) is ignoring the FACT that all of the Sigma products are made in the same exact place.....whether they are (self titled) "Grey market" or not.
    Warranty your own product WORLDWIDE....honor that warranty WORLDWIDE and stop playing silly corporate games.
    Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $100 or even $50 more for a lens or camera just because some twit wearing white gloves handed it to him over a glass counter. Those days are over and have been over for a very long time.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It doesn't quite work that way, Nikon UK are a separate company from Nikon USA, why would Nikon UK want to pay the repair costs for an item they didn't sell? Nikon USA have the same attitude. The fact that they are all wholly owned by Nikon Japan is neither here nor there, each is a separate corporate identity and must, by law, stand on its own feet. The same is true for McDonalds or TGI Fridays.

However I do agree that the "grey market" is a problem of the manufacturers own making. They can easily find out which country is the source of these grey products, they all have serial numbers after all. How the deal with the problem from there is up to them.

7. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

Because they both came from the same exact place....the same exact factory, the same exact production line...and they left the place of manufacture with Sigma, Nikon or Canon stamped on them.
    American Nikon buyers don't get a lesser or better product than Australian Nikon buyers because of sales figures or warranty repair statistics. They get the same exact camera...the same exact lens...worldwide.
    Why would the (repair cost) buck stop at Nikon USA or Nikon UK when neither Nikon USA or Nikon UK actually MADE the product. I do know who DID make the product...the same exact place where Adorama and Jessops (and their "distributors") got it from...Nikon Corporation.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It works like this;
    Nikon UK buy the products from Nikon in Japan.
    Nikon UK sell the products to UK distributors and retailers who sell them to us.
    Nikon UK takes a mark-up on the price they pay Japan and from that mark up they pay for any warranty repairs. What is left is profit.

If Nikon UK repair a product they didn't sell it affects their profit.

I am not saying this is appropriate but it is the way things are. There doesn't appear to be any way for Nikon UK to bill Nikon USA for a repair they do on a product sold by Nikon UK but needing repair in the UK. Again I don't suggest this is right, it is however the way Nikon have set it up.

9. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Seems like protectionism and a bad thing to me. The companies have made a rod for their own backs and hell mend them

Willie

10. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

But don't all the profits in the end go to Nikon in Japan. So it balance out in the overall structure.

Mind you if the makers are doing their job properly the camera should work without fault for over 2 years anyway.

Even if a camera has a 2 warranty would you buy the brand again if it failed and you had to take it back? I have never (touch wood) had a digital camera fail so far.

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

That's a mighty effective plank you have - if you're ever short of a bob or two, saw it into matchstick sized pieces & sell them for £10 each ... well worth the price ...

12. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

The initial "cost" or distributor price goes to Nikon Corp. sure...but then entities like Nikon USA and Nikon UK (which were of course created by Nikon Coop. in the first place) are then allowed to "get what they can" above and beyond their cost of the item....which is where the shenanigans start.

One would think that the initial cost of an item sold from Nikon Corp. to Nikon USA would be lower than the cost of the same item from Nikon Corp. to Nikon UK due to the sheer volume of items going to America. That "should" be the first factor in the difference in prices across the pond...Nikon Corp MIGHT also be able to claim transportation/delivery into that but I find it hard to believe that there is THAT much of a difference to a huge Corp. like Nikon. (Volkswagens are cheaper in America than they are here in Germany...and that is AFTER shipping to America)....so I understand the price differences around the world...but NOTHING explains the warranty nonsense. The final price paid vs. warranty is the ultimate apples vs oranges scenario.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK then suppose I bring you my new 777-300, that you didn't supply, and ask you to fix it under warranty, would you?

14. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

Unless you can show me a Nikon stamp or sticker on whatever that is....my advise to you is...."When you are in a hole....stop digging".

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My point is this, if I ask you to repair something you didn't sell you would probably tell me where to get off. Let me put it another way, if you buy your camera from Best Buy you wouldn't take it back to B&H would you.

Nikon UK and Nikon USA are as different from each other as are Best Buy and B&H.

Yes Nikon could offer a worldwide guarantee on their products but, unfortunately, they don't. It is a nonsense I agree but unless and until someone legislates that a guarantee offered in their country is valid worldwide it won't happen.

16. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

I didn't buy a Best Buy or B&H camera....I bought a Nikon camera.

Except for that pesky "Nikon" name they share...and the fact that they only develop, test and eventually sell ONLY Nikon equipment...yes.

Yes they do....but only to certain special people who are allowed to be in a certain special NIKON club.
    http://www.nikonpro.com/aboutnps.aspx
    http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/NPSApplication/benefits.aspx

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is not what you bought that matters, it is who you bought it from.

See above

Like to read those UK terms again, there is no mention of being able to claim warranty repairs anywhere outside the UK. USA site doesn't mention anything about warranty either.

You too can be a NPU member if you own the requisite equipment which, as they say on the site, gives similar benefits.

18. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

International Service & Support
    The NPS membership allows you to use the priority repair and service facilities at the majority of Nikon overseas subsidiaries and service facilities.

19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Because they are offering the goods and services. I'm sure Nikon USA offers extras and does things Nikon UK doesn't and vice versa. I know there are extra parts on the swiss Nikon site i can't get on the UK one, probably because they either have a market for it or more of a dedication to their customers.

When i got cash back on my D80 the cheque didn't come from Japan, where the product was made (EDIT - actually it was made in Thailand and getting a cheque from there is even less of a possibility i would presume?), if memory serves the cheque came from Margate or somewhere just as unexpected.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I does NOT mention extending the warranty to those facilities and services. What it means is they will try to do an on the spot fix if possible. It doesn't mean a warranty repair, that is the responsibility of the seller.

You might also like to remember that under EU law the responsibility for the "merchantability" of goods rests with the RETAILER, not the importer. Which will also affect how your local importer treats warranty repairs.