1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographers' Trafalgar Square protest: Home Office statement

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Jan 25, 2010.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Proves how dangerous these photographers are.

3. Plant

Plant Member

If Scotland Yard will not relax Section 44, we must continue to document its abuse and raise the issues at every possibility.

I feel another all night togging session coming on (when the weather warms up a bit!).

4. Antony_Shepherd

Antony_Shepherd Active Member

"La la la, we're not listening" says Home Office...

5. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

If they won't listen to a higher authority (ECHR) and suspend the practice pending appeal then we, the citizenry of this fast-becoming police state, have no chance.

Where's the spirit of '67 when you need it... bleedin' students are far too self-obsessed and have it too easy these days. Paul Calf was right... :rolleyes:

6. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

I doubt if any photographer disputes the statement below:

'Stop and Search under section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 is an important tool in a package of measures in the ongoing fight against terrorism.'

It's just that the methods used, intimidating and the Stasi-like posturing by some Police officers, is by and large, wholly unwarrented.

I can quite see a situation arising where the 'the powers that be' will be pleading for help from us, but we will have to turn round to them and retort, 'Well, sorry, we can't help; we are law-abiding citizens and you lot have stopped us taking the photographs you now need.'

They can't have it both ways!

7. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

I would dispute that the stop & search is an important tool - any terrorist is going to stay at home and use Google to find his targets and get any information he needs without taking the risk of getting nicked taking photos.

Along with other measures being used to beat down the ordinary members of the populace I reckon Gordon is not doing his chances of re-election any good at all.

8. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

When his chance of re-election dropped down to zero, I guess GB reckoned that he may as well have some extra fun at our expense before he goes. I was just reading that we are so happy and secure in our own towns and cities that over 23,000 people have so far applied for ID card packs, and that they are due to be rolled out to London from Feb 8th. All voluntary, of course! Perhaps GB is hoping that photographers will be beaten into submission by then so that they'll be getting cards too? I've spent the day looking for courses where I can learn to chant the party anthem, accompanied by the beat of truncheon against riot shield. I’m so disenchanted by this lot that I’ve started reading the Daily Wail for light relief...

Please can our Gordon roll out one of his funniest and cheer me up?

9. TheFatControlleR

What's the difference between a PCSO's tie and a cow's tail?

A cows tail covers the whole ar$eh*le... :rolleyes:

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Im no labour supporter but do you really think the Tories would do it differently? I dont see Cameron saying sweet fa about it.

11. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Nice try. How about this true-ish story...

I was recently flying back into Gatwick from the Netherlands. I decided to strike up a conversation with the guy in the next seat. "I've got a great policeman joke. Would you like to hear it?", says me.

"I should let you know first that I am a PCSO", he replied.

"That's OK. I'll tell it really slow!"

12. Dave_Cox

The Conservatives have promised to repeal Section 44

LINK

13. sandman652001

sandman652001 Member

I'm amazed by what is happening to your country's photographers! For what it's worth you have all my support. Here I am in Italy thinking that I was the one living in a fascist country

14. TheFatControlleR

Yeah, but that was 2009 - and this 2008... What will 2010 bring about. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. Dave_Cox

Just sent to my MP:

"Dear Mr Maude,

As one of the photographers in Trafalgar Square last Saturday (23rd January) I would like to know both your personal opinion and the 'official party line' on the use of Stop and Search powers under Sections 43 & 44 of the Terrorism Act?

In my opinion the use of these powers to curtail the perfectly legal actions of a large number of people achieves nothing as an anti-terrorism measure - you can gain more knowledge by using the internet than a few photographs would give you!!

When considering my questions, please remember that there is an election this year and at the moment I'm torn between UKIP and emigration..."

16. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Dunno. The letter I got back from David Cameron's office in this morning's post said that my questions / comments had been passed on to the Shadow Justice Team for their comments. Not holding my breath, but I will pursue this and other outstanding correspondence on the subject.

17. Steve_Bell

Steve_Bell Well-Known Member

I was at the I'm a photographer not a terrorist mass photo gathering on Saturday, I think it achieved its aim. I realistically doubt there are enough concerned photographers to pressurise a political party, but if we can at least get some MP's on our side its a start. Asking our MP's how they stand is one thing we can do, but I suspect most will be non committal saying they will pass our letters/emails on to the relevant department. As far as I could tell we only had one politician standing up for the photographers cause at Trafalgar Square, London's MEP Lib Dem Sarah Ludford. She came over well in a joint interview with Grant Smith, see the youtube video. Are there other politicians who support the photographers rights?

18. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Austin Mitchell

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I saw you there Steve. I said to Hotblack, "That's wassisname used to be on a forums but not so much now. From Aylesbury, damn what's is name"

And then you'd disappeared in the crowd otherwise I'd of said hello!

20. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

We're busy lining up as many as we can talk to. So far, Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer has given most unequivocal statement of support, but we're still waiting for others to show their true colours. Lord Carlile QC (the government's independent reviewer of terrorism legislation) has been strongly critical of govt / police activity in that arena.