1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographer's survey

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Jon Devo, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jon Devo

Jon Devo Administrator Staff Member Forum Admin

Want to be in with a chance of winning up to £100 worth of Amazon vouchers? Take this survey.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Well, I took the survey and at the end I was asked to sign up to SurveyMonkey so that I could create my own surveys...not a word about a chance of winning any vouchers.

Ah well - I didn't expect to win anything anyway. The last time I won something it was a really large barbeque on wheels that I won in a raffle but had to leave at a bus stop because the driver wouldn't let me take it on the bus home!

Cheers, Jeff

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jeff,

Surely pets are allowed? What's wrong with a pet barbecue?

Cheers,

R.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I filled in the survey and wish to claim my vouchers

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I got stuck when it asked where I had sold something, as I sold it privately, person to person. The survey did not have this option.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So where is the entry form for the vouchers? It didn't ask when I last bought something from Jessops. If I remember correctly it was a good deal on a new Canon 50E with 2 lenses for definite or maybe a G10 - I can't remember where I bought that.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Same problem as others...

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Well that was a waste of time...:rolleyes:

Filled in the survey, answered the questions as honestly as possible, get to the end and what do I find? An opportunity to sign up to a load of spam delivered by e-mail and no mention of winning anything - not even a banana...:mad:

Come on AP, don't get suckered into this kind of scam...

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I kinda think it is AP's survey - of its advertising targets.

All SurveyMonkey surveys end this way - I have come across several.

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

If it was that large, and on wheels, you could have gone home on the barbecue, rather than the bus... o_O

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is it the same Webber/Weber that makes BBQs and used to make carburetors?

12. Fishboy

The barbeque was huge - it could easily have accommodated a reasonable-sized engine...and a petrol tank.

Given the ideal circumstances I could have installed an engine, filled it up with petrol and sat atop of the thing whilst proceeding at a fair rate of knots along the Queen's highway on the way home - although steering might have been a problem since both the front and rear wheels were fixed. As it was, it came to me for next to nothing and I'm sure that whoever found it - brand new, at a bus stop in Chadderton, with a full set of utensils and various other implements of destruction - enjoyed it and hopefully got some use out of it.

Cheers, Jeff

peterba likes this.
  13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Signing up for SurveyMonkey is not a scam.

However, there's no mention of the promised voucher draw,

14. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

Same as Terrywoodenpic - I couldn't get beyond this page. I doubt if I missed anything. AP surveys are normally a waste of time - I shouldn't fall for them as often as I do.

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And me.

Ho hum.

S

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Me too

17. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I thought I might as well take a look at the survey out of curiosity to see what kind of information it was seeking. When the first thing I saw was a request for name and email address 'in case you are a winner' I dumped the web page instantly. To provide anonymous information is one thing, but to do so for the privilege of getting yet more spam - no thank you, particularly on a page with no privacy policy link. All the surveys I have completed in the past at least had the good grace to ask for this information at the end, which request I would always decline.

Fishboy likes this.
  18. Fishboy

When I carried out the survey yesterday it didn't do that.

To be honest, the point of my original post was that if there was a voucher prize available, then I expected to be asked my name and e-mail address - and wasn't!

Cheers, Jeff

19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

In the end I weakened, and put in my details. Well, sort of. I gave my name as Squeamish Ossifrage and a spare/scrap email address. I shall be most interested to see if it starts picking up spam.

Actually, I thought it was a rubbish survey - all about buying kit. I had hoped it would be more oriented towards actually taking photographs, like what do you photograph and what's your favourite lens for that genre und so weiter. By the time I had finished I felt like going back to the start and in the 'Other' box writing that I didn't buy any kit, I nicked it all instead. Only fear of a visit from Inspector Knacker stopped me. :D

Fishboy likes this.
  20. Fishboy

I suspect that the results of the survey will end up along the same lines as the comments that forum members make to people asking about buying second-hand kit:

If it's cheap and you're not bothered about a guarantee, then get it from Ebay if you want.

If it's expensive and you want some kind of warranty cover, a point of contact and a degree of peace of mind, then WEX/Jessops/Ffordes/MPB etc are the places to go.

The survey makes sense to me when I look at it from the viewpoint of the magazine, where advertising revenue is a major consideration.

Cheers, Jeff