1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographer in Golden Wonder photo ban (includes video)

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

P.S. It was Smiths that were bought by PepsiCo...

2. justy1

justy1 Well-Known Member

Time to add another company to the "Never ever buy one" list.

If the police were involved I recon all that would happen is that the photographer would have been arrested and charged with harrasment or a public order offence, but in reality, the language and attitue of the security persons stinks and it is they that should be charged with public order offenses - calling someone a pervert and wanker in public is outrageous.

3. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Golden Wonder hired these employees of Kingdom Security in the good faith that they would act professionally. Instead, they got two dishonest thugs. We can't blame Golden Wonder for that.

Given recent events (the "Stand Your Ground" event, for example) I wouldn't be so sure of the Police blanketly supporting the security in this case, particularly as the photographer can prove on the spot that security approached him, that they swore at him, that the male had to be held back by the female, that false claims of an offense were made, and so on.

It's unlikely that the security staff would be arrested and carted off for it, and will just receive a stern telling off - as in the case at Xscape in Milton Keynes.

It's also possible that "blanketly" isn't a real word.

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't agree.

If your a high profile company with a PR image to worry about you should be careful of all sub-contractors you bring in that might interface with the public.

Just goes to show that out sourcing sometimes can backfire on a mainstream company.

In fact they might even have clause in the contract to cover bringing the main company into disrepute. Afterall which name is going to appear in the press, the crisp company or the security company? :) The crisp company of cause because it's a household name that everyone will have seen in the supermarket or even their own cupboard.

Let's not forget it looked like it came very close to a possible assault. :(

5. surf_digby

But how do you do that? Kingdom has a list of reputable clients giving excellent references. They're SIA regulated (which - opinions on their effectiveness aside - should theoretically ensure professional conduct). On the surface, they appear to be a reputable and highly regarded company with a professional appearance. Without the clairvoyance to know they were going to get sent a pair of gung ho, knee jerk reactionaries, or if these members of staff had behaved similarly in the past whilst in their employ, then Golden Wonder were as careful as they could have been at the time.

6. Straightarm

Straightarm Well-Known Member

PepsiCo bought both Smiths and Walkers

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Indeed.

In fact outsourcing rarely fails to backfire, except for the matter of boardroom bonuses.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

To be clear, I meant instead of Golden Wonder, not instead of Walkers.

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Mmm... I have a question on the security company, i'm not trying to stir things up, i just want an honest answer...

Reading into it a little, Kingdom state they provide security for The University Of Salford... Salford has a photography course. My question, as a concerned student (not at Salford): Does your university security team hold the same derision for photographers as your members of staff at Golden Wonder?

10. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Perhaps it would be a good idea to send the security firm and the authorising body (SIA?) copies of the video. That might get their attention.

If nothing better, they could at least use it in their training as an example of what not to do!

Regards, Mike

11. Thoades

Thoades New Member

The guy who took the video "Hamst" contributes regularly to our town's community forum, he's often out and about taking photos all over the place and updating residents on what's going on.

He's made a post on our community web site VisitScunthorpe.Com and would like people watching the video to take time to read his article and understand how the video came about.

http://www.visitscunthorpe.com/ScunthorpeNews/headline/Golden-Wonder-Security

12. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the AP Forums. What's your experience in photography and which type and make of camera do you use? :rolleyes:

13. Thoades

Thoades New Member

Hi Bawbee,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've got a Canon 1000D 18/75 and 75/300 lenses. I find it great. I put a lot of my photos on the Visit Scunthorpe web site as they are from around that area, but I've also got a more general gallery Im adding to as I go around different places, here's some from Bletchley park, which for a geek like me is heaven

http://lincolnshirered.wordpress.com/photo-gallery/

14. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

It's a case of deja vu isn't it? I was taken aback by the belligerence/arrogance of both guards right from the off. Hardly a good start.

I did wonder whether Hamst went there looking for trouble though. What was he doing there? He seemed prepared for trouble because he started filming right away didn't he? But give him his due, he didn't provoke or become confrontational and was polite.

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Send a copy to the photographer's MP and the local paper. A swift apology from Golden Wonder will probably follow ...

... if they have a decent PR department, that is.

The carpet of the office of the head of PR should consequently be closely inspected by said security staff while accompanied by their manager.

16. surf_digby

We don't like your sort 'round these parts!

Nah, just kidding. Welcome to the forum. Just don't go up on the moors!

17. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

If you check out Thoades post above and follow the link he provided, you'll see that Hamst is doing a project on Scunthorpe, and has been photographing the whole area for some time.

Besides, whatever he was doing is not the point, he was on public ground and those security guards have no authority whatsoever in a public place.

To me, their whole unacceptable attitude was summed up by the woman's bad-tempered throwing of the security barrier at the end of the video. Frustrated anger because she was unable to intimidate Hamst.

As for him being "prepared for trouble", all he did was switch his cam to video mode when he saw trouble brewing. In retrospect it was a very wise move.

Regards, Mike

18. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

Just looking at all the angles. Must admit I'd missed the bit about his projects. Knowing how the situation could develop based upon forums and news, I too might have started recording when that woman approached! Just wanted to be clear he wasn't an agent provocateur which is one angle the authorities might have taken if it had gone pear shaped.

No doubt after the weekend the security company and/or Golden Wonder will respond to all the publicity!

19. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

it will be interesting to see what golden wonder have to say and what the security company has to say. This needs to be chased up by he press etc as what the guards said was totally incorrect and they need speaking to.

20. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

Speaking to! Bring back the birch.