1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Photo Diary of Walking For Fitness

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Geren, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I walked very fast today - head down and shivering in the biting wind!
    That's my exercise done. Yesterday's gardening still with me!

Geren likes this.
  2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

This has the makings of a long-term project- documenting the changes in Helenburgh................

Lynn

Geren likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Thursday 22nd February 2018

There has been a slight revision of my intial plan which was to put up all the images I'd taken. Thursday's walk was a good hour plus and there are more images from it than anyone but me really needs to see. Here are the selected highlights:

180222-Helensburgh-008.jpg

Sentinels at the tennis club

180222-Helensburgh-012.jpg

There was a crooked shed

180222-Helensburgh-014.jpg

Hedge trimming time

180222-Helensburgh-018.jpg

I think this might be the least Scottish looking house I've ever seen.

180222-Helensburgh-026.jpg

No gullible folks here.

180222-Helensburgh-037.jpg

We were due to go and look at a flat in this block when we were househunting. The flat was amazing. More money that in all honesty we were going to be able to pay but with three bedrooms we were trying think of ways to stretch to it. However, it sits in beautifully manicured lawns and is full of, how do I put this...more mature, less adventurous types. I couldn't see three teenagers and their attendant antics/friends being very welcome.

180222-Helensburgh-039.jpg

The less-well-manicured garages that go with the flats.

180222-Helensburgh-062.jpg

Collecting flags now apparently.

180222-Helensburgh-068.jpg

180222-Helensburgh-070.jpg

This has to be my least favourite time of year. Everything looks sad and dead.

AlanW likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Friday 23rd February 2018

Once again I was in the office all day from 8.30am to 5pm. And Friday night is sit down and collapse in a heap night so I wasn't going out. However, I did go around the grounds of my office for about 15 minutes picking up litter and doing a little light weeding. I also did the post office run on foot again. And, I followed the HNC Health, Fitness and Exercise Class down to the astroturf pitch to document some of their class. The tutor is the chap in the shorts, but he's not the one leading the class as the point of the course is to become qualified as an instructor. It's fair to say I didn't join in.

180223-Helensburgh-001.jpg

180223-Helensburgh-004.jpg

180223-Helensburgh-008.jpg

180223-Helensburgh-011.jpg

180223-Helensburgh-018.jpg 180223-Helensburgh-025.jpg

180223-Helensburgh-022.jpg

180223-Helensburgh-016.jpg

180223-Helensburgh-028.jpg

EightBitTony, Craig20264 and Catriona like this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I had a long wander around the city and along the canal today, didn't take that many shots, but got a few in, but I did wonder if you were out and about walking as well. Do you use a GPS tracker? I use a free one on my phone, and I keep the GPS logs (as well as using them to tag the images). I find it fascinating to go back and look at the routes again later, really helps cement my understanding of where things are.

Geren likes this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I use the Map My Walk app - when I remember to turn it on. I have been hooked on the little red squiggles all over the map since the first time I went geocaching with friends after a few too many Gimms. (Our own special combo of gin and pimms). It was inordinately funny to see the line suddenly disintegrate into a deformed circle that had been repeated over and over while we stumbled around, knowing the cache was near but failing miserably to find it. Whole thing looked like a beaded bracelet in bad repair by the time we were done.

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I also update this with a new layer for each walk -

Walk-To-Health-Map.jpg

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yesterday however was a 'normal day with a vengeance' and I didn't leave the house. I had a bit of work to do on the computer nad all of a sudden it was time to make dinner and I was exhausted. I should have gone out because it would have warmed me up to get moving but I think being cold was part of the inertia. I will go out today though.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm looking out into the garden right now, blue skies, tranquil, no breeze, and thinking, I should go out, and then thinking, but it looks like it's -5.

We'll see which side wins later.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Snap. I've been up since god knows what time. Sat and watched Marseille on Netflix, kept thinking of going out for a walk, looking outside and thinking "that looks cold" . Get another coffee and carrying on watching TV. Lovely blue skies. Maybe later.:)

EightBitTony likes this.
  11. Catriona

If you go out today, cover up well! I've just been in the front garden, getting some rosemary. Came in and found my nose getting away from me rapidly! Sniff!

Geren likes this.
  12. dream_police

Since making that post, I've had a shower, put some warm clothes on and I'm going out. Probably only a couple of miles circuitous route from my front door. I have a feeling that my camera battery will be dead though (it's been left in my glove box of the car in the cold).

Geren likes this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A9837-2.jpg

The view from the kitchen window suggests the same or similar conditions here. So far it has motivated me to put a thicker cardi on and make more coffee. But it would be a shame not to get out there really.

14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I'm just back from walking the dogs. I can confirm that it's bloody freezing!

Catriona and Geren like this.
  15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

By the way the building with the satelite dish on the side was Helensburgh's cinema, La Scala. Built in 1913 it eventually stopped serving as a cinema some time in the 80s. At one point it also housed a snooker hall but has since been turned into a pub. It's the only pub in town that shows sports on its TVs at all times, so it can be a bit noisy if there's anything of particular interest to the local community being shown. Didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

16. Catriona

I'll tell you how cold it is here. I was clearing some space in the freezer drawer and put a bag of icecubes on the back step (yesterday) to defrost and chuck the bag later.
    Anyone want some icecubes?

Kate

17. dream_police

Well, just got back. According to RunKeeper (it allows you to walk too) I have just done 3.46 miles. I live in the country and it is so easy to just get in the car to go somewhere else for a walk. It was actually quite nice to explore what is on my doorstep. Camera still had a charged battery, so managed to take a few snaps too. Jobs a good un.

It was cold, but with nice warm coat, scarf, hat and a jumper I'm bloody roasting now!

Geren and Catriona like this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well I have decided that today I am going to walk to a place that I'm embarrassed to admit I've never been to before in all the years that we've lived in and around this area. I've heard dog-walkers and runners talk of 'Duchess Woods' and actually thought it was just a small patch of land with a dozen or so trees on, but it seems not. So...to Duchess Woods. I'll report back later!

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  19. dream_police

Why, what was on?;)

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Sport apparently.

I'm just back too. I don't know what I did wrong but MapMyWalk didn't which is annoying as I was looking forward to seeing the route round the woods that I'd taken. HOwever my Fitbit has clocked up 3.8 miles so I'm feeling all good and virtuous. As well as a LOT warmer than when I started out.

The woods were a bit of a revelation. I honestly thought they consisted of a small strip of land down the side of the rugby pitch and that was it. It was an absolute JOY to get in under the trees and eventually to where you were no longer aware of the sound of traffic. Breezes filtering through branches along with the sunlight, the odd tweet and what was either someone doing DIY in short bursts or a woodpecker. I can see it becoming a regular Sunday walk and will be even more lovely once the trees get some leaves. Pics to follow shortly - need a cup of coffee!

EightBitTony likes this.