1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo Diary of Walking For Fitness

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Geren, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Monday 19th February 2018 Continued/

180219-Helensburgh-013.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-014.jpg

Annoyingly I wasn't really quite fast enough to get these two. Also, more annoyingly, the German Shepherd took off and nearly dragged his owner with him but they were behind a car at that point and I couldn't get the shot.

180219-Helensburgh-016.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-018.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-019.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-020.jpg

There was a lot of this sort of thing going on today - must be 'dig up the streets season'.

180219-Helensburgh-021.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-023.jpg

Local B&B suffered an arson attack.

180219-Helensburgh-024.jpg

Dogs of the opinion that I should ask permission to exist.

180219-Helensburgh-025.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not on your head are they?:)

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Monday 19th February 2018 - yeah not done yet.

180219-Helensburgh-027.jpg

The more attractive side of the carwash?

180219-Helensburgh-028.jpg

The less attractive side?

180219-Helensburgh-029.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-030.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-031.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-035.jpg

Apparently the council spent £15,000 on this plaque for the new civic centre. It is supposed to be Helen Colquhoun, wife of the founder of the town and after whom Helensburgh is named, and/or Clutha, goddess of the river Clyde. Decorating her neckline is supposedly the Helensburgh Skyline. I note it is starting to rust.

180219-Helensburgh-037.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-039.jpg

This crew were very happy in their work - one of them was recounting his weekend to the others and they were all mightily amused.

Walked in a loop today rather than there and back, which is what I did yesterday. Took in a hunt for glasses and a trip to the nurse only to find out my appointment is for tomorrow. Ah well. Clocked up a few steps over the course of the day though so it's all good.

steveandthedogs and Craig20264 like this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Did you set them on a wall? You are certainly striding out!
    PS That car wash sign must catch the wind.

Geren likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I wish!

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Tuesday 20th February 2018. I walked along the seafront to John Street, all the way up to the top with a small diversion down John Street Lane. At the top I turned left onto Queen Street and then down Campbell Street back to the sea. Later I also walked to the doctor's surgery and again out to meet up with a new contact to chat about running some photowalks. The sun was out today which made a massive difference to my own mood and to the photographs. I'm still often struck by the aging infrastructure of this town though.

180220-Helensburgh-001.jpg
    I haven't exactly counted properly but this afternoon I could think of eight (big ol' proper) church buildings in Helensburgh. Seems strange to think of a time when they would all have had full congregations. One is now a cinema, another a Buddhist temple, yet another houses an accounting firm. The others are sort of bumbling along I guess.

180220-Helensburgh-003.jpg

Sometimes I have no idea why I'm drawn to take these 'nothing' shots but today I was just enjoying the contrasty light and it also gave me a marker for my walk.

180220-Helensburgh-004.jpg

In some ways this shot sums up this place. I mean you'd think if you had the money for a wee boat, you'd have the money/time to keep hte garden tidy too.
    180220-Helensburgh-005.jpg

I may have to go back and look at this building again on a dreich day to see if I'm still inclined to photograph it.

180220-Helensburgh-007.jpg

Flats above the 'new' library. The old library is now flats. I went to the old library as a child and mainly recall taking out Thomas The Tank Engine books (before they became the modern cartoon version that they are now.)

180220-Helensburgh-008.jpg

Helensburgh pavements are treacherous.

180220-Helensburgh-009.jpg

I do like a nice door.

180220-Helensburgh-010.jpg

180220-Helensburgh-011.jpg

Very orderly!

180220-Helensburgh-012.jpg

Glorious day!

EightBitTony and Craig20264 like this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Tuesday 20th February 2018 cont/

180220-Helensburgh-014.jpg

Spring is... well you know the drill.

180220-Helensburgh-015.jpg

Why do I like these dead so much?

180220-Helensburgh-017.jpg

The fence at my old school. There was no fence in my day. We were able to escape by clambering through the bushes and into the rich kids' cars. I suspect the fence has just prompted more inventive means of absence.

180220-Helensburgh-020.jpg

When I was a teenager, this was the house I longed to live in.

180220-Helensburgh-021.jpg

Our old next door neighbour's house was built on the land between the 'big' house and ours. The 'big' house was called The Glen. Ours was called Wester Glen. There's a house behind this one called High Glenan. I'm assuming the land for this was also sold off by The Glen's then owners. It would have been an ENORMOUS garden to begin with! I couldn't really get a photograph of our old house because the new owners have been busy planting hedges and the like to block the view. It's probably just as well - it just reminds me of my dad.

180220-Helensburgh-022.jpg

Back downhill again. Must be bin day at the top of the town.

180220-Helensburgh-023.jpg

I can't help feeling that even if your house is pretty big, calling it a 'hall' if it wasn't built in medieval times is just one pretension too far.

180220-Helensburgh-029.jpg

And we know what they say about pampas grass.

180220-Helensburgh-030.jpg

Standing stones?!

180220-Helensburgh-032.jpg

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I need to find new places to walk - I used to take loads of shots like this, but I've been going over the same routes a lot in the last 6 months (mainly because I'm going to a certain location to take pictures, so my route never varies), and I miss the enjoyment of finding interesting things to photograph.

Geren likes this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Tony, although sometimes I quite like the challenge of continuing to find something interesting in places that you feel you've already photographed to death. My challenge with Helensburgh is that up at the top of the hill the houses tend to be shrouded in tall trees and large stone walls - to keep the hoi polloi like me out! But there's the potential for a lot of really very dull images. I suppose too that I was surprised at how quiet this town has become. It's a miracle the businesses that are left have any customers at all some days.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

5 minutes through the park and I'm into the forest. I try not to take my camera with me now, the reason being that, over the last 10 years, I've amassed something like 250+ forest photos - and I still haven't got around to assessing them all! And some are almost certainly near duplicates of shots already taken! Trying to select, say, 10 pictures for a possible exhibition is, to put it mildly, difficult!

Lynn

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  11. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a challenge Tony. I walk every day with my camera and take plenty of shots like Geren's and find it easy to relate to her photographs. Each time I take in a different part of Edinburgh, it helps being not so much a large city but rather a collection of villages, then after a week or so I start repeating myself and even then there's always a few variations. I'll walk down closes (alleyways) and backstreets just out of curiosity never knowing what I'm going to find. It's strange that I can walk down a street one day and find nothing yet on another find five of or six things of interest. Weather, light, the people and more importantly my mood changes from one day to the next and I'm constantly surprised when I find something I haven't seen before . . . . but then I've always been a great believer in Heraclitus, "you never step into the same river twice"! I get home, I back up the photographs and to be honest most are never looked at again, if one or two stick in my mind then I'll work them up a little in photoshop, for me the enjoyment in photography comes from the walking, the looking and the finding, everything after that is just a bit of a chore.

Alan

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  12. EightBitTony

Yup, this resonates a lot. There are a few alleys in the centre on Nottingham that I can always rely on for a new view of an empty bottle on a wall :)

AlanW likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I was working 8.30 til 6pm today and did not manage to fit in a walk - or at least not properly. I did go and walk to the post box rather than taking the car to the post office this morning and htis evening I brought stuff home to post in the evening that I would usually have bunged in at the post office but instead I walked up to the next box along. I also had a bit of a workout cleaning the bath but in spite of some energetic 'dancing' with my daughter this evening have still only clocked up 8000 steps on my fitbit. And no pictures. Wednesdays and Fridays are just going to be hard. I have done more than half an hour of walking on the other days so I guess if I can do *something* on my two full work days it will be better than nothing and I'll have to try and make it up elsewhere. On the plus side, my food intake was pretty good today - porridge and a banana for breakfast, home made tomato carrot and lentil soup with an apple and satsuma for lunch and mushroom risotto and salad for supper with some grapes to finish off. Oh and one whisky. Could have been worse.

EightBitTony and Craig20264 like this.
  15. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Kathryn, you might find this interesting, I watched it the other week and they they seem to think that 3 x 10 minute brisk walks a day to get your heart beating is better for you, easier to do and less time consuming than 10,000 steps, The Truth About Getting Fit on iPlayer, see what you think.

Alan

Geren likes this.
  16. EightBitTony

17. EightBitTony

Days on which you don't do the new thing you're trying to do are normal days. Days in which you do, do the new thing are victory days. None of the days are failures.

Geren and Craig20264 like this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Wish there was a "love this" button instead of just a 'like' one! I will try and remember that.

As for today, well I'm working 1-9pm at my day job and have betwween now and noon to finish up the advert for my latest venture - a combined photography class and photowalk thing that I'm doing with another local photographer and get my walk in. I'm conscious that I tend to go from one extreme to the other - either totally overdoing things, or doing very little. The three 'ten minute blasts' seems like it might, in addition to the other benefits, help on the days when I'm not able to do much because I'll feel like something has been achieved and may not find it necessary to run myself into the ground the next time. I do enjoy my longer photowalks though - I think there's a benefit to mental health as well as physical. I wouldn't say I have agoraphobia or anything as definite as that but there is a tendency to want to hibernate that can be incredibly difficult to overcome and it's not good for your sanity if you let it take over.

EightBitTony and AlanW like this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Patched the poster and went for an hour's walk with the camera around the upper reaches. Pics later although I'm working till nine so might be much later!

EightBitTony likes this.
  20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Have you considered a battery assisted bike? They are great for people with hip or joint issues. cycling as actually fairly low impact on joints too.

Geren likes this.