1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo Diary of Walking For Fitness

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Geren, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have decided that I very much dislike the side effects of these blood pressure tablets and so I am going to have to do my very best to manage blood pressure with diet and exercise if at all possible. It certainly can't hurt to try anyway. Now that I am no longer a student, my routine seems to involve a lot of sedentary desk-sitting with a burst of activity at the weekend which actually overstretches my capabilities and leaves me feeling exhausted for three days afterwards so I'm now aiming to walk *somewhere* on a daily basis for about half an hour without overdoing things but also getting a daily burst of exercise. I'm likely to give this up if I don't have some other purpose in mind so this is also going to serve as an opportunity to document areas of the town where I live that perhaps I wouldn't otherwise bother to investigate.

These were taken today in East King Street, Helensburgh with a Nikon D3000 that my neighbour has just bought from ebay and wanted me to check out for him. He was wanting reassurance that he hadn't made a terrible purchase and for me to set up the date/time etc on it. I have to say I'm not overly familiar with Nikons and I didn't much enjoy not having the same access to controls that I have on my 5D MkIII but hey, it's a walk, with a camera and it wasn't chucking it down. He told me he'd never shoot RAW so these are jpegs which was frustrating because the lens has produced quite a lot of CA and trying to edit that out hasn't been entirely successful. However, if nothing else they may serve as markers of things I want to go back to later.

I will keep adding to this thread as my walks progress - all the duds and any decent shots too. Maybe I'll do something with them later, or maybe not.

180217-Helensburgh-002.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-003.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-004.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-005.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-006.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-007.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-008.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-009.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-010.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-011.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

180217-Helensburgh-012.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-013.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-014.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-015.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-016.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-020.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-022.jpg

180217-Helensburgh-023.jpg

EightBitTony, Zou and Craig20264 like this.
  3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Good to see you being pro active. I'm expecting images everyday. No images means you didn't exercise..I'll be watching ;)

EightBitTony, Zou and Geren like this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

And that kind of threat is exactly what I need!

EightBitTony, Zou and Catriona like this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

And no sticking a 400mm tele on and shooting the town from your bedroom window!

Geren, EightBitTony and peterba like this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Good for you. But slow and steady now!

Geren likes this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Sunday 18th February 2018. The glimmers of sunshine that were creeping in around the edges of yesterday have been well and truly shunted out by a load of grey drizzle. But, I said I would walk somewhere daily so off I went. I met up with a pal who brought along another friend too so I took fewer photographs, walked about the same distance and took about half as long. I'm guessing I burned more calories this way but oh boy do my hips hurt now! I think tomorrow will be back to a very gentle 'amble'. These were taken on West Clyde Street from my flat to Kidston Park and back.

180218-Helensburgh-001.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-003.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-002.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-004.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-005.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-006.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-007.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-010.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-013.jpg

180218-Helensburgh-014.jpg

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking you're not selling it as a tourist destination!

Good luck with the walking - physical activity seems to have an impressive effectiveness on mental as well as physical ailments - though do watch hose hips, you only have one set!

Adrian

Geren, Craig20264 and EightBitTony like this.
  9. Catriona

Love the last one.

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've never walked as much as since I took up photography (for me, only about 4 years ago or so). I'm sure I posted elsewhere, I've seen more of the place I live in the last few years since getting the Canon 600D than in the preceding 15.

Geren likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I photograph what I see!

Yes, I always do feel mentally better after a walk. However now I think a warm bath might not be a bad idea!

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You got the grey day well!

I keep telling myself that (rain or shine) I ought to go out for a walk first thing instead of reading the paper for an hour.

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I like the grey-day pics.

Watch out for your hips though.What about a bicycle?

S

Geren likes this.
  14. EightBitTony

Harder to take photographs of stuff which just grabs your attention though?

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

A bicycle would suit me nicely on the flat but unfortunately, as well as dodgy hips, my knees are not up to much and while the seafront is all on the level the rest of the town rises up on quite a steep hill. I am far from being fit enough yet to deal with cycling up it! One day! (I also don't have any money to go and buy a bicycle, having last owned one when I was about 20. The children had them of course, but they were among the things we had to get rid of in the move. Because the third strike against having a bicycle is I have nowhere to keep one!!!!!) Otherwise it would have been a great suggestion :D

I think for now, I will keep up the daily photowalk which should get me into the HABIT of doing it. Then, once it is more ingrained, I can consider doing it with other people who aren't interested in taking photographs but in walking. I still managed about ten images yesterday even walking with non-photographers, it's just that I had to keep 'marching' rather than walking, to keep up with them after each shot and I think that's what has hurt my hips. Sorry, I sound like a right state don't I? Things WILL improve!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Also, I may get two walks in today because as soon as I've finished my porridge I'm going to be re-tracing my steps from where I last remember having my glasses. I can't find htem anywhere and I'm now wondering if they fell out of a pocket when I took them off because the rain was makign them useless.

17. Catriona

Good luck!

18. EightBitTony

Good luck indeed!

19. EightBitTony

Nope you sound normal.

I've discovered how selfish photography can be, walking in lovely (sometimes) surroundings but wanting to be un-rushed and alone so you can photograph things.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Monday 19th February 2018.

I retraced some of my steps from yesterday as I looked for my glasses and then decided to just keep on walking. The tulips were in the church notice board advertisting God.

180219-Helensburgh-001.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-002.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-003.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-004.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-005.jpg 180219-Helensburgh-006.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-007.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-008.jpg

180219-Helensburgh-009.jpg

I asked this chap what on earth his dog was up to. He said that they passed the Ashton every morning on their walk and the owner always came and gave the dog a biscuit.

180219-Helensburgh-011.jpg

Biscuit time.