1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal Projects

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Mar 26, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Are you involved in a personal project at the moment? Taking a set of pictures, a theme, a collection, a style, or a picture a day / week style thing?

I've been increase my time out with the camera as my injuries have recovered and the weather has improved. I've started a (simple) little project just to give me something to focus on, if I'm out in an urban area.

I'm shooting numbers, sequentially. So I can't shoot a 10 until I've got a 9, and I'm limiting myself in other ways to increase the challenge (can't use parts of numbers, can't shoot the same source twice in a row - e.g. house numbers).

It's certainly helping me look around more and focussing my mind when I've got the camera. They're mostly just snapshots at present, although I am trying to think at least a little about composition. I aim to improve ;)

Zou likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'm poised on trying to re-do my 2015 London Tourists thing, but this time less reportage and with more personal interpretation. Not much in the old one that was ownable, or "me". Got to stop it becoming a Martin Parr rip-off though. Pondering......can the old eyes deliver it?

andymcd and EightBitTony like this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the Peter Greenaway film Drowning by Numbers, where throughout the film you see numbers in shots, counting from 1 to 100.

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I've had an idea bubbling under for quite a while now, but finding the time isn't easy in the Winter months. Hopefully now I'll be able to devote more time as the evenings draw out. I planned on doing an 'Industrial Suffolk' set of landscapes. It's surprising quite how much semi heavy industry there is in such a rural county.
    Access to get the shots I want will be tricky too.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm still trundling along with the bus station project but it's not really achieving anything much. :(

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

I've been visiting the Old Market Square in Nottingham for around three years with the camera, in all weather, which is kind of morphing into a set of images of the place at different times of day, year, weather, etc. I'm no-where near having a style of my own in any of my photographs, I have very under-developed artistic skills and don't really expect them to improve. But I like the idea of having a record of a single place over time.

andymcd likes this.
  7. RovingMike

Definitely an interesting record to have. Yes that issue of how to look at it in a way that lifts the whole thing out of the "nice, but anyone could do it category" is one that bugs some and of course troubles many others not one bit. But after the obvious ones are done, it really bugs me and I can't be satisfied with it, but that's probably a minority POV.

andymcd likes this.
  8. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

I'm doing a 12 month project where each month has a different theme, where the themes were chosen (by me) more or less at random.
    This is good in terms of making me think, but in hindsight, I wish that I had picked a theme for the year so I could develop it out better. My first month was okay, because I decided to "focus" on a single building (a disused pub in Nottingham). At the end of the month I was beginning to feel good about it, as I felt I had connected with the subject and that I did have something I wanted to convey through the pictures. Plus going back multiple times meant I could revisit and re-try my failed attempts at some of the pictures I felt I needed for the "story".

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. RovingMike

I think that's the point. Any theme is easy to start with, but getting past 6 or 8 really good shots is hard. That's why RPS sets 15 for Associate level. I think of it like keeping fit; if you only do short distances, you get nowhere. It is only when it hurts that you're doing any good. I have done projects where concentration was giving me headaches and very sore feet.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have a couple - one big one, and a smaller one that might grow legs later but which right now is just serving as 'time out' from the big one. The main project is an alternative kind of family album. My family is somewhat extraordinary, while being entirely ordinary at the same time. All members have some kind of health issue to contend with: Aspergers, scoliosis, issues with visual processing, diabetes, chronic depression, IBS, anxiety attacks, chronic pain. My husband is American and still, after twenty -plus years of living here finds some things difficult about being 'an incomer'. I was adopted as a baby and have recently realised that this had more impact on my emotional wellbeing and my outlook on life than I'd ever given it credit. After three years of unemployment, in August the five of us had to move from our home of 16 years, a leafy, secluded five-bed detached house in a small village by the sea, to a two-bed first floor flat right in the thick of a seaside town, and I've been charting the reality of this change for us all. It might all sound a bit grim but hopefully it's actually looking at the ways we are making a fresh start, not a wallow-fest. Because the project has been running since November I have hundreds of images and the main problem now is one of editing down a selection and deciding on how best to present them. A book seems logical but I'm not sure it's actually what I want.

The second project is also a documentation/record/exploration - this time, of the town where I now live. It's a strange town, and I have an odd relationship with it having moved away and come back several times over the years. I call it home, but still feel like a visitor and often try to look at it from a visitor's point of view. For now, I'm concentrating my efforts on the seafront, an area that I saw described in a newspaper article as 'the jewel in Helensburgh's crown' and nearly spat out my coffee. Frankly the seafront is a bit of a mess and it's a shame because of course it's the part that most tourists come for. Having said that, I realised the other day that I have history with it, and remember a lot of the shops as being there when I was a child, as well as remembering what others used to be. Apparently there is a new pier development in the offing and money for retailers to improve their shop frontages. I only hope they don't suck the soul out of the place as they did when they 'improved' the town square. So anyway, I'm working on a kind of Ed Ruscha style project just now, photographing every business/home/shop on the seafront in Helensburgh, and of course, the view on the other side of the street which mainly features the Clyde river. I don't have the ability to shoot from a moving car as Ruscha did, so I'm working on foot. I actually already have a shot of each of the premises but now I'm working on getting better ones, or better people walking past them. I am also shooting the people visiting the front, eating their ice creams and fish and chips, enjoying the pier and so on. The intent is to document the place in different weather conditions and at different times of year - possibly a whole set for each season? After that there is much else about the town that is interesting and ripe for photographic exploration - the massive divide between rich and poor here, the proximity and effect of the Faslane Naval base, the attempts at regeneration, the tourists, the locals, the religious entities, the school provision...I could do a lifetime's work and never leave!

Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  11. EightBitTony

Not enough likes available for the amount I like this response (not-withstanding the circumstances, naturally).

12. RovingMike

Plenty to occupy you then! Look forward to seeing some.

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I'm a little weird when it comes to projects, some would say weird full stop. I do kinda have a few themes and projects lurking in my subconscious when I'm out and about, but I never really go out to work on one particular project as i feel it hinders me. I just walk and see and take/make what comes along.
    Otherwise, if I'm out taking shots on a theme of say daft looking shoes, I'll spend all my time working on that and miss a few really good opportunities on other themes in the process.
    Having said that, I've taken a fair few of The Selfridges building in brum over the years, and when I'm out walking with the camera, I'll always pay a little more attention when in that area in case I can add to the collection. But I won't stay there exclusively, if that makes sense.
    Really need to put a set together properly.
    Really need to sort my Flickr altogether.
    Does anyone know, if I make old shots private, if people who have already faved the shot will still be able to see it?

14. EightBitTony

No, they won't. You have more choices than just private or public though, you can choose some friends and family style groupings, but basically, old liking / commenting doesn't matter in terms of the privacy settings.

15. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony

16. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I started a shop keepers one last year but it didn't last long about six images before I lost interest.

I have two running at the moment Selfies and Public Affection they can be a slow process, as I don't go looking for them, just allow it to happen naturally

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. RovingMike

As I've said, 6-8is where it starts to get hard, unless you're just repeating the same shot with a different subject, which is where it gets boring. I think Roger has examples of themes that keep you interested but they are things he writes to and illustrates with the shots. But looks like his things become a treasure hunt.
    I lost interest in the London Tourists thing early but it was changing the theme to the diversity of experiences and people kept me going.

18. dan marchant

dan marchant Active Member

Yes I have several photo projects that I am always looking to add too when out on the streets. I also do things like your numbers project as a way to challenge myself. I also do it as a way to keep things fresh when shooting less creative subjects like sports. I have a collection of levitating Rugby players (shots where they are running but feet aren't touching the ground), another of players looking skyward for the ball, ones of players whose weird pose makes it look like they are dancing.....