1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal Photo Books

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Gordon_McGeachie, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Re: A couple of examples...

I couldn't find this thread when I looked for it the other day but I have put the entire album up on a web site - see my post in The Lounge.

2. weegee

weegee Well-Known Member

Re: A couple of examples...

Hi all, looking forward to giving this a go..a little advice please.

Reading through your replies, went for the recommandation of myphotobook - for now at least. So, busy having a play with that.

Please tell me, i have around 30 or so photos of a recent holiday, and wanting to have about 3 copies for my gran etc...wanting also to add a little bit of text, certainly the odd big heading/whats the castle called etc on the same page or the opposite page..basically want im saying i want a great deal of control over my page layout...so, my best options are...

Should i get Elements, have taken a fair few photos JPEG FINE / RAW..so ideally wanting to convert them, mess about a little...would it be ok ( quality wise ) to ..say..create an entire page layout on Elments, including what words i want to use, and maybe a full page background and put a few photos on the top etc..and then put all that into this photobook layout?

Finally, the front cover..of your average sized book..say...a little less than A4...is it any good?

Any advice please, be grateful.

3. weegee

weegee Well-Known Member

In addition..

..having now looked up a few more photobooks, i see one of the market leaders, Fotobook, is actually quite expensive, and to pay an extra 8pound for a title is a little much for my liking..however, the quality....aaahh the quality...thats what counts...so anyone use this service, any good? and aside from perhaps a couple of words, can you put on a good couple of paragraphs say onto a page?

And, please tell me, would it be best if i created my complete layout, inclusing RAW images ( must i convert my aw image, alter it, and then SAVE it to Jpeg to then manipulate it and put it into the page layout? ) using Elements..or best done on the package you download depending on what photobook you go for?

thanks

4. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

If youre wanting to do text Photoshop/Elements wont be a great idea, especially if you're thinking sentences/paragraphs worth rather than the odd headline. Do you have access to QuarkXPress, or anything similar? (eg Illustrator, InDesign, PageMaker...etc)

The text will be rasterized so will not look sharp in the curves in the final image. It can look very soft or jaggy.

You might want to read up a bit on vector versus anti-aliased text. also be aware that the more text you add the slower the program will run. Photoshop isnt really a program designed for using text in especially in large quantities.

EDIT: Now that I read your post again and you emphasise the importance of quality for you, I would put a definite NO on using Photoshop or Elements for text input ESPECIALLY for the large amounbt you seem to be considering.

5. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I concur with Erm on the text issues, and if you don't want to fork out on InDesign, etc., you could give PagePlus from Serif a go. A free, SE version is available so you could try-before-you-buy. :)

6. weegee

weegee Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your replies. Yet another program to get to grips with then. Ho-Hum. Will give pageplus a go.

I take it i create my desired paragraph or so, and bring in the photos, and then save all that and bring into my MyPublisher book.

If im way off the mark please correct me, but will now download this program and do some reading.

Thanks.

7. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Seems there may not be a need for a DTP application. I've just had a quick look at the MyPublisher site & BookMaker™ software; you can, depending on layout choice, input text directly in BookMaker (or put your paragraph together in Notepad, then copy&paste it onto the page in BookMaker). :)

8. weegee

weegee Well-Known Member

Currently having a play with this pageplus...all very well...bringing in mages, adding text etc etc....cant help but think though, once saved and then brought into my photobook..with the quality decrease? Espicially, as some of my images orignally were RAW saved to JPEG via Capture NX, and then brought into this pageplus to mess about with? Am i going the long winded route here? All i want is a couple of my pages in this photobook to have a few images pasted over the top/or slightly blurred over on another?

Also thinking, once saved -again- to jpeg would this crate a problem bringing it into my photobook..i mean..the sizes for a start? how do i measure up what im doing with pageplus with the size of the page in my photobook?

Ben, yep noticed that you can add a story etc, which unless anyone tells me otherwise, is what ill be doing this time around at least. Maybe save the 'fancy' fading photos etc for another time.

9. weegee

weegee Well-Known Member

Hi all, have just crreated my mini masterpiece...all ready to go...however, having problems paying for the thing!!

I think i may of downloaded the american version of the photobook2.2....have downloaded via the UK site as well now however...so, come to purchase...and its all american? Can i transfer my work over to the UK site?

Also, matercard, visa etc...what are all the options of paying? I cant work out the cost of my book with extra pages because of the dollers.

Finally, and please someone help me on the last question, but its also saying, i have blank pages.....where? fair enough let them delete them, however, aside from the first introduction one, where are these pages?

thanks

10. Lounge Lizard

The US version is probably cheaper if you pay in dollars (I do) and there is a discount code of FALL2040 that gets you an extra discount of 20% off of orders over $50. Discount not available in the UK. If you really want to pay in £ (it doesn't matter either way with a credit card) then downloading the UK software will overwrite your existing installation but your book data should still be there (do a back-up just in case). Either way, the book is printed in the same place in the US and I much rather pay the cheaper dollar price. The US version also has more templates and options.

When you come to pay, it works out the price. All you have to do is a simple USD -> UKP conversion. They take all major credit cards.

It won't automatically delete them because it doesn't know whether you intentionally want these pages or not. The instructions tell you to preview the album (the button at the bottom of the screen labelled '4. Preview'. Start from the beginning (there is another button to take you to the beginning) and check every page (best to use 2 page view).

11. weegee

weegee Well-Known Member

Well today i received me 3 copies, followed them through the air with fedex ( only a fiver extra )intresting as it took longer once they came into Stanstead than it did coming from US..typical..however, took exactly a week to arrive.

Wasnt sure what to expect, using my 10megapixal dslr and all and i didnt save to few pixals ( dont know how anyway ) justy croppedad and altered a fair few and changed from the occasional Raw to Jpeg... the results were better, much better than i thought, mypubisher i salute you. A great, reliable service.

Ok, so as mentioned here your not getting photolab quality here, but damn close(ish) certainly good enough. The layout etc was exactly what it said on the tin ( or rather how it looked when i previewed it )..so any mistakes were mine. A few things i will change for next time, didnt realise you got a seethrough sheet at the beginning and end of the book, so would of used a photo there instead of writing.

I would now be intrested in how other books compare, quality wise, nat. geographic? But as it stands, mypublisher have me for the next order or unless someone on here can convince me otherwise. The layouts i occassionaly found a little restrictive, but really quibbling here over nothing, end results were brilliant, i did create ( using photoimpact ) a couple of photos in photos so to speak, blending the edges to bleed into a larger pic, both worked great and would def. be doing more of that in future...more effort you put in pays off. Went for the midsized book which was actually bigger than what i thought, def. a great sized pressie. 2 for th price of one as well so all in all a great buy.

Anyone know any different sites please post, would be intrested, experiment with styles and layouts. Anyone want to share there book again would be intrested to see.

12. Lounge Lizard

Glad you got there in the end and are pleased with the results.

Well, a sort of semi-see-through sheet but at least you didn't put in an extra blank page.

The problem is that there are lots of sites that now offer this. MyPublisher was one of the first and a review of similar sites in a US newspaper rated them as the best but things change so swiftly so unless you try them all (could be expensive and time-consuming), how do you know? I treat it like film and paper and tend to stick to what I know works rather than risk time/money just seeing what somebody else can do when I already have a workable solution.

However, having said that, the only other one I have been tempted by so far (but not yet tried) is Blurb - see this thread where Roger describes his experiences. These albums are becoming big business and many companies are jumping on the bandwagon and I'd only really consider a change if somebody offered something significantly better, more convenient, a greater range of services and, of course, the product/service has been well-received by others.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The only one I've been a part of so far was a Blurb attempt, and I'll use them again - as David says, it seems much easier to stick with what you know and works rather than keep trying them all.

14. weegee

weegee Well-Known Member

So..now im up n running and impressed with the results..its time to find more pictuers for these books..starting with age-old ones of my family etc...that box of pics which everyone has under their stairs..

Question, scanners, any thoughts? Take it as per the norm..the more you spend the better the choice....so, anyone out there used scanned images into their computer, perhaps doctored them a little using elements and then placed them in a photobook...quality an issue?

Any rule of thumb i should be looking out for when getting a scanner...my budget being around the £150 mark...max...spent enough as it is on this hobby!

15. Lounge Lizard

You should get a good scanner for that budget. Epson make some good scanners. Make sure you get a Photo version since that will have an adaptor whereby you can also scan negs and slides.