1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal Photo Books

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Gordon_McGeachie, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I've been using MyPublisher for about 4 years now and have been happy with the results. However, I would be interested in anybody has done a side-by-side comparison and is in a position to recommend one over another.

3. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Thanks for that - checking them out now.

4. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

The MyPublisher site looks pretty good, just had a look at system requirements and you need Windows... I usually use my desktop now which is running Linux.

Looks like I'll have to dig out my old Windows machine to have a look at at the software.

David, what sort of results/quality do you get from using this company?

I'm taking a lot of pics of our new arrival and think it would be a good idea to do a series of books as she grows up instead of just keeping snaps on prints and discs. Much nicer to have a book to show family etc. instead of booting the computer up to show a slide show.

5. Lounge Lizard

The quality is excellent, both the actual printing (OK, it's not quite photo quality but good enough for many people) and the binding of the books.

Here is my brief evaluation:

Good Points
    • Quality digital printing on decent paper
    • Well-finished albums
    • Software is clean, logical and easy to use
    • Full-bleed pages as an option (i.e. right to the edge of the paper)
    • Good choice of album types
    • Can mix text with images
    Bad Points
    • Long delivery times unless you pay extra for FedEx 2 day service*
    • Can be pricey for large albums, leather finish or lots of pages
    • Not as flexible as some others with choice of page layouts
    • Limited range of credit cards accepted

* Despite having a UK office (near Bedford), the albums still appear to come from the US and the cheapest post option takes about 3 weeks for delivery. Faster delivery (2 days) costs a lot more.

I use MyPublisher because of the good quality albums and suffer the long delivery times (can't have cake <u>and</u> eat it!). I have looked at some other photoalbum systems but they suffer from other drawbacks - clumsy software, no leather cover option, inflexible page options etc. but always keep coming back to MyPublisher.

The big thing for me is that it is far better to create a bound album from a holiday than to get enprints made. The albums are quite slim, look professional and don't take up much space. Note that it is possible to produce fancy page layouts by creating one single large image in Photoshop exactly how you want and adding this to a page. For example, I have produced some pages where I have a pale sepia image as the page background with smaller images overlaid and drop shadows or overlapping images but this takes a lot of extra time to do.

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I use the Photobox website for books.

I've got three of them so far and have been very impressed with service.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Only one I've had yet is from Blurb - good product, but shipping is prohibitive at the moment - when they've got a European print partner it'll be worth considering. But I'm hooked on the concept now!

8. Lounge Lizard

A couple of examples...

...of custom page layouts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jonesey

jonesey Well-Known Member

David,

Having looked at the three you posted, I'm frankly amazed at the relative low cost of these!
    My publisher seems to be the best bet for me - I've downloaded the set up!
    Thanks for this

Cheers

Jonesey (John)

10. HelenPolly

HelenPolly Well-Known Member

Hi,

I took an offer before xmas for a free book done by "myphotobook.co.uk", good quality printing but some of the colours were slightly off, pale pink skin looked almost orangey on one of the pages.

I always use photobox if I want a good quality book done.

Helen

11. JamesBrett

JamesBrett Well-Known Member

Ive only just seen this thread, which is a shame because ive just done a keep sake book for my little boys grandparents using myphotobook. Hopefully it will come out well, ill let you know the results.

James

12. Geoffers

Geoffers Well-Known Member

The one complaint my wife has about digital pictures is that we never get around to print them out so only I ever see them. My complaint with film is that the photographs go into a box under the bed, never get put into an album - and nobody ever sees them! This looks to be an excellent compromise and at around the £10 mark for some of the cheaper options it compares very well with the cost of a film + processing.

Does anyone know if the downloaded tools can handle RAW, specifically Canon CR2 images?

13. Lounge Lizard

I don't think so. They nearly all assume JPEG. If I do have RAW then I prefer to convert them and balance them before putting into an album anyway.

As for your use, it's exactly why I use MyPublisher. It gives me small slim photoalbums from digital files without the hassle of conventional enprints and bulky albums. I use the bigger albums for major holidays and I am even considering using the leather-bound or extra large albums for wedding photos. I tried one out on a couples parents recently and they really liked it and the photo quality was more than acceptable for them.

14. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

15. dhansak

dhansak Active Member

I find a lot of these applications to be extremely buggy. They keep crashing on me. Anyone else experiencing similar?

16. Lounge Lizard

I've tried most of them and have never had a crash. I have run MyPublisher for about 4 years with no problem except for the odd upload glitch. I run Windows XP Pro.

17. dhansak

dhansak Active Member

I run XP pro too but have found these apps just hang on occasion. I don't have any problems with any other software so it seems strange.

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Been running fine for the past two years on both IE and FF.

19. Gillibobs

Gillibobs Well-Known Member

I downloaded the software on www.myphotobook.co.uk This is the first time I have used anything like this so I am unable to comment on how it compares to others. But what I liked about the software was that although it had a large number of layout options (for between 1-4 photos) you can move and scale images to create your own layouts and have to option to add borders and be a bit creative with the text if you want. Which for me was good, as having studied Graphic Design in the past I wanted to put a bit of a personal style to it.

Have just ordered the finished book so unsure of quality and finish etc. The only downside of this is that it takes 10 working days to receive.

20. Almark

Almark Well-Known Member

Thank you, this thread has been very helpful.