1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People are bad at spotting manipulation

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by beatnik69, Jul 21, 2017.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

80%.

Geren likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I scored 70% but it quite tricky. Interesting though.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Managed 50%

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Show Off! o_O

6. EightBitTony

You have to start from the assumption that every image you've ever seen has been manipulated.

I wonder if we all see the same image set? I'd hope it was different every time?

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

From memory I saw a woman on a bridge near some boats, (actually quite a lot of the involved boats), a bloke sitting with a couple of pints near some boats, a bloke standing in a flowerbed, a woman standing in front of a brick wall with some bins behind her, a man standing near some trees with a bin nearby, a man in his garden with a cat nearby...can't remember the rest.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

60%

Mind you, one I was 100% confident on, because I'd seen both the before and after pictures already! :rolleyes:

9. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

70%. Interesting study.

10. EightBitTony

Sounds very similar - that cat was totally 'shopped.

Geren likes this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Interesting. To my surprise I got 8/10 too but with very low confidence. Sounds like the same set of pictures are being presented so unfair on the study to try to describe them. My main problem was that I couldn't conceive that anyone would spend any time taking let alone retouching those! I'd have liked the debrief to show before/after.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I had low confidence as the shots were such low quality.. .not the sort of thing that we would see on this forum...and not the sort of shots worth working on to any extent. however I only got two wrong, which surprised me. their retoucher was better than their photographer....

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

To be honest all the snaps, that is what they were, did not justify any PP... I meen what would be the point?

Charlotte Moon likes this.
  14. Charlotte Moon

Charlotte Moon Active Member

I just got 60% Apart from the incredibly fake bird, I couldn't see any editing.

15. EightBitTony

It's not about that - they're snaps which have been intentionally digitally manipulated for the test - to gather data. How much manipulation can be 'gotten away with' on average. What's the difference between smoothing a face and pasting an entire cat in, or removing a post. They are, I suspect, controlled images modified in specific ways, not just snapshots taken by folk and thrown up.

16. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

"Gotten away with" throws me. Surely a well-manipulated image is superior than a poor image, unless one is claiming it to be an accurate rendering of "reality" such as in a news photo.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in using skills beyond the mere (or not-so-mere) use of a camera. But, then, that is another subject. Don't you just despise "photographers" who are too bluddy lazy to manipulate their images properly? (rhetorical)

17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The same image set as I got, I only scored 5/10.

18. EightBitTony

Did you read some of the words in the video and test? The video specifically used the word 'forger'. I thought it was obvious the test was about understanding how much an image can be manipulated without people noticing, in the context of news / truth / documentary evidence.

It's got nothing to do with cosmetic improvements, removing distracting elements, or making an image more pleasing to the eye, it's about, can you tell if we forge images.

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

70% though I suspect I may not have correctly identified the actual manipulation in the cases where it has occurred...:rolleyes:

Whoever did the work is clearly a lot better than me...:D

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Just watched the third one in our house do it. There seem to be several variants of each base picture as the two of us who did it before could see differences in what was being presented.