1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax whispers?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Gromit, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

The majority who replied to the recent AP poll suggested 3-4 cameras would be a satisfactory range.

Discounting the 645D, Pentax currently have 2 models, so they really need an entry-level 12MP body, costing about £200, and probably a high-end 20+MP body, say at about £1200. WR on the high-end but not on the entry level.

Fixed screen on the entry-level, hinged screen on the high-end. PIC modes on the entry-level, just PASM on the high-end.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You are correct in this, but the camera body line up is narrow, so conquest sales from other brands are not going to be substantial. I did handle a Pentax dslr in Currys the other day and I wasn't at all impressed with the ergonomics, obviously a personal view, the whole thing felt clunky and dated. Don't ask which model, it was the only one they had!

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My local Currys still has K-r kits at silly (as in too much) prices. That camera doesn't handle well at all in my opinion, but the K-30 which replaced it is rather fab in hand, better by far than the K-5. For me at least, YMMV.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Better than the T80, Nick :D

Cheers,

Jack

5. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

The K30 can AF in video, albeit a little slow and - i might be wrong on this - only using the centre AF point. I have tried it a couple of times and the quality isn't too bad, but i generally MF in video.

6. Gromit

Gromit RIP

I could never understand the manufacturers putting a video mode on an SLR. Especially on the high end kit.

Anyway, it seems no one else has heard any rumors about Pentax making some changes. If they wanted to launch a new marketing campaign then I would have thought they'd have some presence at the forthcoming Focus on Imaging. At the moment they won't even be carried by the only retailer at the event :(

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Thanks Jerry :) Now, I'll have to give a go at work tomorrow ;)

Cheers,

Jack

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Because once they had live view video was inevitable. Also means that they could offer high quality HD video taken on a much larger size sensor than fitted to any normal camcorder at a very competitive price. Video camera with SLR- nor near-SLR size sensors are hideously expensive - just check out the cost of one of Canon's new EOS C-series (and I think this is the cheapest...).

9. Gromit

Gromit RIP

I can understand your point about incorporating video once they'd put live view into cameras. However I don't know any professional video cameramen that would even think about using a dSLR for their work. There are many reasons why they can't produce the same results as a 'proper' video camera.

10. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Isn't much of the video you see on BBC News and the News website shot by journalists using DSLR's?

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^ Certainly some professional producers of niche market dvd products now use dslrs for their work.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The last episode of American series House was shot on a Canon 5D II...

I also understand that news footage taken with DSLR cameras has been used by the BBC and others. I agree that it's unlikely DSLRs will replace the cameras normally used by broadcasters and programme makers, especially for major programmes whether studio or outside broadcast, which are designed for the specific purpose but the use of DSLRs for certain aspects of newsgathering and documentary work does appears to been accepted in principle - even if only unofficially.

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Very much so. I was using a Mamiya digital body the other month. Lovely piece of kit :D

14. Gromit

Gromit RIP

As I understand it they will accept it on a case-by-case basis. The same applies to any footage shot on unapproved cameras. Knowing a few broadcast cameramen, none think dSLR output is acceptable.

BBC do publish white papers on approved equipment, I'll have a look through when I've time to see if anythings changed recently.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  15. Gromit

Gromit RIP

Seems it was. But also read this report on it. It quotes the BBC white paper as saying - Technicians stopped their testing of the pre-production model of the Canon 5D MK II at a very early stage because it failed aliasing pattern tests and “the results were not encouraging.”